Sign in to follow this  
txcpa

KJ classic band cap nuts

Just noticed I am missing a cap nut from the band on my KJ Classic. Any idea what size cap nuts and thread is need to replace? 

3 hours ago, txcpa said:

Just noticed I am missing a cap nut from the band on my KJ Classic. Any idea what size cap nuts and thread is need to replace? 

Don't have a Classic  but a BJ and they are 5/16 UNC bolts , I'm sure they would use the same on both these cookers

12 minutes ago, txcpa said:

Asking here because I have not received an email back.   Been over 2 weeks

I would call the office. 

You can do what I do sometimes. Take a piece of paper and do a rubbing and also do a side width. Then take a look at the thread to see if it is course of fine. With that you can go to a hardware store of Home Depot and look for a cap nut.

Or better yet take the cap nut off of another bolt and thread it on the sizing tool at HD. That will eliminate any possibility of getting the wrong  cap nut.

No luck so far at HD but I can try Ace or Lowes.  I'll keep trying.  Also the cap nuts on mine are not attracted to magnets.  I bought a 97 lb magnet to drag over the ground around my grill only to discover it did not attract a cap nut that i removed from the band.  

1 hour ago, txcpa said:

No luck so far at HD but I can try Ace or Lowes.  I'll keep trying.  Also the cap nuts on mine are not attracted to magnets.  I bought a 97 lb magnet to drag over the ground around my grill only to discover it did not attract a cap nut that i removed from the band.  

That's because you want stainless which is typically not magnetic depending on the nickel content

No worries Meghan responded today and is taking care of it.  As others have said, KJ service is excellent, just took a bit to get to me.  

Reminder, check your connections regularly. I apparently waited too long between inspections.