Imperial Kamado w/ Smokeware SS cap??

Hello! Long-time lurker, first-time poster. I have an Imperial Kamado that has been passed down through my family. I'm in the process of painting and replacing some parts on it. I do not have a chimney cap for it... I've been using aluminum foil and a brick (pretty fancy, right?) during cooks to restrict flow. I really like the look/functionality of the Smokeware SS cap but I can't find any information that would help me to determine if it would fit my Kamado. I've tried their phone number multiple times but can't get a callback. So I guess my question boils down to this:

1. Has anyone used the Smokeware SS with an Imperial Kamado? does it fit? Did you get the BGE or Kamado Joe version? was the adapter they sell necessary?
  2. If not, can someone help me with the dimensions for BGE med/lg/xl chimney caps? What are the height and diameter?

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

Welcome Bubb, I have no experience with an Imperial, but I cook on a large BGE and own and use a Smokeware cap. Here are some pics of the BGE model  cap  with measurements.

Across the bottom of the cap where it sits on the dome. Their is a flared lip at the bottom of the caps base. I believe this to help it fit close to the curve of the dome where it transitions into the top vent chimney

DSC_3135.JPG

across the top of the base where the cap portion slides over the base. The cp portion slides over the base and the windows in the base and the cap match up.  You set the top vents by twisting / sliding the cap while keeping the base stationary 

DSC_3136.JPG

Side view of assembled height. held the tape a little crooked trying to show the measurement and take a picture, but you get the general idea. 

DSC_3137.JPG

Hope this helps.

2 hours ago, bubb4 said:

Hello! Long-time lurker, first-time poster. I have an Imperial Kamado that has been passed down through my family. I'm in the process of painting and replacing some parts on it. I do not have a chimney cap for it... I've been using aluminum foil and a brick (pretty fancy, right?) during cooks to restrict flow. I really like the look/functionality of the Smokeware SS cap but I can't find any information that would help me to determine if it would fit my Kamado. I've tried their phone number multiple times but can't get a callback. So I guess my question boils down to this:

1. Has anyone used the Smokeware SS with an Imperial Kamado? does it fit? Did you get the BGE or Kamado Joe version? was the adapter they sell necessary?
  2. If not, can someone help me with the dimensions for BGE med/lg/xl chimney caps? What are the height and diameter?

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

I don't have a BGE, but I have a KJ Classic and an 18" Imperial kamado at home.  I will try the caps and see how they fit when I get home. 

Congrats on keeping the old grill running.  I still use mine, but infrequently.  It was a wedding gift to my parents when they got married in the early 60s.  It has seen better days, but still works.

Enjoy.

I couldn't find a tape handy, but the KJ top cap is just a bit larger than the IK one (3/16" guestimate).  A piece of gasket material around the top opening would seal it up and probably keep it snug.

Here is a pic of both the IK with original cap and the cap from a KJ Classic.

lids.jpg

Thanks for the help! I thought I'd get email notifications when someone replied and assumed nobody posted. I wish I would have checked back before pulling the trigger.

I spoke with someone at Smokeware and the dimensions they gave were off. Keeper's pic is exactly right- the diameter is 5.5" which is larger than I was told.

The top of my Kamado is off in this picture because I was working on it but the picture shows the gap between the Nomex (it's reversed and taped together, wanted to get a feel for the space before using the tape) and the chimney cap. The gasket is .25", do they make thicker stuff? Any ideas on how (or if) this can be fixed?

20170519_114319.jpg

Thanks again!