• Announcements

• John Setzler

Site TOS/Guidelines Updated 9/7/2017   05/02/2017

The rules here are simple.  You must behave like an adult.  You may not use profanity.  If 'behaving like and adult' needs specific details in your eyes, then this forum is not for you.  Failure to behave like an adult may result in your loss of access to the site.     YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION: Personal information provided to the Kamado Guru website is NOT shared with any third party for any reason. EVER.    THE REST OF THE STUFF:

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

Our websites use cookies to distinguish you from other users of our website. This helps us to provide you with a personalised experience when you browse this site. For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them see our cookie policy (link at the footer of each page).   Thanks!
Sign in to follow this  
reddog90

Primo XL vs 2017 KJ Big Joe

@reddog90 - if you're taking a poll, there are far more KJ owners here and their shear preponderance and their fanboy attitudes will tilt this in their favor.  

I have cooked on both.  They are both exceptional cookers with great customer service.  The Primo is an ala carte purchase.  The KJ comes with more included.  To my friends who have been interested in kamado cooking, I recommend the KJ simply because I feel you get a better bang for the buck ... more included in the price.  The primo is a really good cooker that blazed a lot of the trails that KJ decided to walk down.  

Truth be told, you won't go wrong buying one of the Big 3 kamados ... Big Green Egg, Primo, and Kamado Joe.  It's all about what strikes your fancy when you're in a mood to purchase.  

P.S. Now if you really want the single, best kamado experience in the world, call Dennis Linkletter at Komodo Kamado.  Nothing even comes close to the KK in terms of quality, customer service, innovation, cooking ability, etc.  Nobody in the know disputes that.  However, everything comes with a price tag!;-):-D

[mention=13571]reddog90[/mention] - if you're taking a poll, there are far more KJ owners here and their shear preponderance and their fanboy attitudes will tilt this in their favor.  

I have cooked on both.  They are both exceptional cookers with great customer service.  The Primo is an ala carte purchase.  The KJ comes with more included.  To my friends who have been interested in kamado cooking, I recommend the KJ simply because I feel you get a better bang for the buck ... more included in the price.  The primo is a really good cooker that blazed a lot of the trails that KJ decided to walk down.  

Truth be told, you won't go wrong buying one of the Big 3 kamados ... Big Green Egg, Primo, and Kamado Joe.  It's all about what strikes your fancy when you're in a mood to purchase.  

P.S. Now if you really want the single, best kamado experience in the world, call Dennis Linkletter at Komodo Kamado.  Nothing even comes close to the KK in terms of quality, customer service, innovation, cooking ability, etc.  Nobody in the know disputes that.  However, everything comes with a price tag!;-):-D

@ CeramicChef I can basically agree with you on all your points with the exception of one. About a year ago Primo introduced a AIO (All in One ) package that may partially level the scales a little more.

1 hour ago, TKOBBQ said:

@ CeramicChef I can basically agree with you on all your points with the exception of one. About a year ago Primo introduced a AIO (All in One ) package that may partially level the scales a little more.

That is nice but that all in one on the lowest all the way up starting with kamado is over 1000 all the way up to just under 2000 grand with xl so to me they just included the ala cart ,,,i agree kj is the better deal hands down with what they offer so if i was just getting into game i might be inclined to go kj.bge was my choice for many years but if i was to do it all over i probably would of picked kj

however i second what ceramicchef has stated cause i own one there is nothing like the kk in any class its in a league of its own and at the rate kj is going almost close to 2k the kk is worth looking at especially since Dennis has a sale going on his 19 tall which is a hell of a deal for the quality of this type of grill

2 hours ago, Freddyj said:

i tecommend doing whatever you can to see both in person, that's what i did, tough to decide from internet photos 

This is the best suggestion by far go check out your dealers and see what you like best , see what deals can be had and pick a grill that you want to own , I don't think you will go wrong with a Primo , KJ or BGE

I've neither owned or cooked on a KJ or Primo but....... 

With the 2017 KJ improvements, gasket, firebox, top vent and especially the air assist hinge that puts KJ well above it's competition. 

5 hours ago, ckreef said:

With the 2017 KJ improvements, gasket, firebox, top vent and especially the air assist hinge that puts KJ well above it's competition. 

This is what sold me on the KJ.  Nobody has KJ's around here to check out  in person, despite having authorized dealers nearby.  I did see a Primo Oval last weekend, and while it's nice, the lid is just so darn heavy, just like the BGE, that I'm glad I went with the KJ.

1 hour ago, reddog90 said:

Thanks for the help. Got a Big Joe from Costco last night. 

Nice score buddy. Pix please.

2 hours ago, reddog90 said:

Thanks for the help. Got a Big Joe from Costco last night. 

Watch out, Big Joe and BJ Joe Tisserie making some smoke out on the patio. First comes pork butts, then comes ribs, then comes jr in a baby carriage. Hay, I had to add the baby carriage cause it goes with the song :rofl:.

Added: Modified poem

KJBJ and KJBJ lump making smoke out on the patio. First comes love of temperature control, then comes the marriage  of smoke and rub with the butts, ribs, brisket, chicken etc. Then comes the KJ jr. in a baby carriage.

I decided to replace my workhorse gas grill of 12 years with a kamado grill, so I was new to the kamado world. My wife said, "go get a BGE" but my research led me to the flexibility of a Primo, which I had also seen and liked at a local dealer awhile back. 

I went to another dealer to check out the Primo XL, and there was a Kamado Joe Big Joe right next to it. I also checked out the BGE. I bought the Big Joe.

It was no contest for me, having no preconceived ideas. The overall quality, hinge (HUGE for my wife), thickness of ceramic, cart, split cooking system, gasket, included and available accessories, and top vent were all better on the Joe, I have been very pleased with the purchase.

My only other comment is to say that i don't think is is any less expensive now compared to the others, even with all the included accessories. Regardless, it represents better value to me for all the reasons listed.

KingFish, Welcome, glad to have you and your Big Joe with us. Also glad you are happy with your decision of which kamado to purchase. That is a bridge all of us have to cross. Like many aspects of life there are really no wrong decisions, it just comes down to what the individual thinks will work best for them. Please stop by the introduction forum and leave a post to let everyone know who you are and what your cooking on. Happy Cooking.