Aloha from a happy Akorn owner

Daz

Hello everyone!

Found this forum by googling Akorn grill and joined right away. I got into kamado cooking after buying an Akorn grill from Homedepot about a yr and half ago. I thought the grill was the key but failed miserably on the first cook out. I then went on google (of course) how to use the kamado properly and found Amazingribs.com. My life has been changed ever since! I succeeded on the first try of every recipe he had, from 6 hr ribs to 20 hr brisket. I'm now totally addicted to BBQ/Smoking and have made my own accessories to help me cooking. I now own about 10 grills, from weber smokey joe to a 25" ceramic kamado. what I use most often is Akorn Jr, it's super efficient and very portable (as a kamado). 

Happy cooking!

Daz

Hey that was a warm welcome thank you so much guys I know I found family lol. Here are some pics. I've been working on my brisket lately, making Taco's from flat and fried rice from point. I also made some accessories for the grills I had. Check out the pizza ring haha. We digitized the whole Akorn grill to get the shape made. I even made a hitch receiver for the grill. I'll post a pic later if i can find it. I own a motorcycle parts company so fabrication and engineering is our everyday job. 3rd pic is my line of cooks. I also use the weber go-anywhere quite a lot. I like it's square shape and easy to carry. the 4th pic is my Nova Lox smoker setup. I live in Hawaii but I love cold smoked salmon. So I figured out a way to cool the smoke through a big cooler with dry ice and then into another iced cooler with fish sitting in it. Came out to be perfect. Last pic is 30 day dry aged steak I made for last year's Christmas. The bark was phenomenal because the meat was so much drier. 

1078710155.jpg

BBQ-KPR-AKORN_3A.jpg

2081212457.jpg

1471693578.jpg

DSCF1555.jpg

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By KamadoJones86
      Hey guys,

I just got a Joetisserie / Napoleon basket and did a batch of wings...good lord, those are good. My only problem is that I use a temp controller and the only way I could use the pit probe today was dangling through the top hole. This worked but it wasn't very repeatable or exact (since I couldn't really see where it was dangling or if it was touching sides, etc). 

How do you guys approach this issue? I've heard of brackets or hanging it off the inside temp probe but how are you doing that? Is there some special mount that I need?

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks so much!
    • By pittmab
      First attempt at chicken shawarma last night on the Joetisserie.

Came out really good, very pleased with the result and so easy. Juicy, tender moist chicken, with gnarled crispy edges.

Followed Smoking Dad's recipe from his YouTube video.

• By Tom_V
      First cook on Joetissorie on the Akorn, and yes it fits perfect! I used a combination rub of KC's and Dinasour BBQ Cajun Foreplay. (Dinasour BBQ is the BEST BBQ restaurant in NY State) I also made a paste with same ingredients and rubbed under breast skin and inside cavity. Akorn running at 400-425 deg. Amazing flavor!

• By Cranky1
      Hi all,
      Just got an Akorn 16820 and mother nature decided to go all cool and wet on me. Looking forward to trying this thing out.
    • By Millerb7
      So I have myself an Akorn for about 4 years. Through a couple moves while building a new house, it was pretty neglected... sat outside, uncovered through winter, rain, etc. Needless to say due to the metal build, it rusted something bad. I ended up getting rid of it and decided I'd see what the Weber Kettle hype was all about. I picked myself up Kettle Master Touch.......... wow...

I freaking hated it. Was horrible to keep temps. Took forever to get up to temp. Was terrible to use with lump (as it fell through the grates)... just a bad overall experience. Cooked on it about 4 times then sold it. Now... I live in a VERY windy area. Like 10-15 mph winds almost constantly.... so I'm sure that played a part... but it was no enjoyable.

I decided to pick myself up a new Kamado Joe Classic from Lowes for $650..... I'm in love.