• Announcements

• John Setzler

Site TOS/Guidelines Updated 9/7/2017   05/02/2017

The rules here are simple.  You must behave like an adult.  You may not use profanity.  If 'behaving like and adult' needs specific details in your eyes, then this forum is not for you.  Failure to behave like an adult may result in your loss of access to the site.     YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION: Personal information provided to the Kamado Guru website is NOT shared with any third party for any reason. EVER.    THE REST OF THE STUFF:

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

Our websites use cookies to distinguish you from other users of our website. This helps us to provide you with a personalised experience when you browse this site. For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them see our cookie policy (link at the footer of each page).   Thanks!

A co-worker of mine just got an Akorn!  I'm trying to help him out pick up some things to help him use it the best he can and he is really interested in smoking with it.  Any suggestions for a diffuser stone that will work in an Akorn????

The Smoking Stone is one option.

Based on recommendations on this site, I use a Weber 7441 charcoal grate (about 11 bucks), which sits nicely on the tabs for the SS. On top of the grate, I use a generic 15" diameter (I think) pizza stone.

Another option to sit on the grate is a CI skillet. Here's a link for one that others have mentioned  http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_27889_-1

HTH

We have several Lowes stores here in Tulsa and most stock the Akorn stone as well as the Akorn cover. My favorite accessories are a "pigtail", bear claws, heavy black rubber type gloves, and my large Weber starter chimney.

He will enjoy the Akorn.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

20 hours ago, wingshu said:

We have several Lowes stores here in Tulsa and most stock the Akorn stone as well as the Akorn cover. My favorite accessories are a "pigtail", bear claws, heavy black rubber type gloves,
He will enjoy the Akorn.

"and my large Weber starter chimney."
You must have a Weber Kettle history :) Unless you're grilling that's way too much fire for a Kamado

I don't recommend using a chimney in a kamado. A Weber chimney is a great tool to get a bunch of coal real hot real fast. But pouring it into a kamado is a lot deeper than a kettle and sparks can be shot out quite a ways. 

Now on if the grill is a good distance away from any structure ...maybe. But dang, alcohol cotton balls, starter cubes and torches are so darn easy why mess about.

"and my large Weber starter chimney."
You must have a Weber Kettle history [emoji4] Unless you're grilling that's way too much fire for a Kamado

Haha, I don't fill it up to the top, and I don't let the whole thing get red hot. Mine has holes in the side, when red reaches bottom hole I dump the coals, add smoke producing wood of choice for the meat, bring it up to temp, and away we go.
Yes, the chimney is many years old, still own the Weber I bought it for, and have a gas grill, and another small grill. For me the chimney is a good multi use tool. And depending on how many people I am cooking for and types of food I am cooking, I may have them all going at same time.
It's all good.