• Announcements

• John Setzler

Site TOS/Guidelines Updated 9/7/2017   05/02/2017

The rules here are simple.  You must behave like an adult.  You may not use profanity.  If 'behaving like and adult' needs specific details in your eyes, then this forum is not for you.  Failure to behave like an adult may result in your loss of access to the site.     YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION: Personal information provided to the Kamado Guru website is NOT shared with any third party for any reason. EVER.    THE REST OF THE STUFF:

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

Our websites use cookies to distinguish you from other users of our website. This helps us to provide you with a personalised experience when you browse this site. For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them see our cookie policy (link at the footer of each page).   Thanks!
Sign in to follow this  
bigcaddy

Faulty Primo Deflector Racks? Anybody have this problem?

After purchasing my new Primo LG 300 grill, i proceeded to buy the required accessories to expand my cooking options.  Those included the firebox divider, deflector plates and deflector plate racks. 

Once everything arrived, i got my grill going, prepped my pork and started putting in my racks and that's when everything went south.  The deflector racks are either completely out of spec or my firebox is.  They lock into place with 3 extended rods and i had to choose 1.5 points of contact with these racks.  If i balanced them just right, i could get them to stay up but as soon as weight was introduced, the deflector/rack would call it quits and leap into the fire below  

It looks like the racks were made a bit too large lengthwise and too short depth wise

These are a Primo made product but now i'm wondering about the return process.  Technically, just by putting them into the grill for 2 seconds with a fire they have been "used".  Since i had passed the point of no return, i made them work and used the racks as-is but was pretty annoyed the whole time.  

Has anybody encountered out of spec grills from Primo?  I have about 7 racks for my XL and not a single one has given me problems.  This is the first time i've had something from them fail.  

The item was PN 316 for a LG300.  They are too close of a fit to be for an XL (i have one) and just don't sit right in the grill.  I don't have pics but can take some later today.

The only reason i haven't contacted Primo is because i didn't buy from them direct.  I purchased from an online retailer and thought i would try to deal with them first.   

2 hours ago, philpom said:

have any pics?  Something sounds odd, maybe you bought the wrong ones or someone sent you the wrong ones?  What part number did you order?

+1^

Pics would help.  First I would call Primo Customer Service, send them pics, and let them sort this out for you.

Well this just keeps getting better!  I just tried out my firebox divider and don't recall my other one leaning so far over.   It will swing a good 1.5" off center in either direction. 

For those that asked asked for pics of the deflection grate holders, here they are. I was able to center them somewhat but as soon as the weight is introduced, off they go

IMG_4274.JPG

IMG_4275.JPG

@bigcaddy - in both my XLs I had play in the fire box divider.  It's not going to scrub your cooks.  It's simply not mission critical. Relax on that and move on.  All you want is the firebox divided.  Now, if it falls out of the channel, that's a whole different deal.

As for your deflector plate holders, those are the wrong size entirely.  Those were meant for a different size Primo.  Take them back to whomever sold them to you and get the right size.  Test the new on a store model to make certain they fit.  If they give you any trouble just pull out your phone so you can call Primo Customer Service from the sales floor.  I'd do this on a Saturday morning about 10:30.    Yeah, I know Customer Service probably ain't open, but just the threat should get you satisfied.

Primo is a great company with a wonderful product.  They'll make this right.

Derald has given you the info to resolve. As a 300 owner, I'd be interested in the size of the deflector racks you have there. Mine are 15" from front to back (handle to hinge) and 12" from the side to either the front or back supports. By the picture you have, the racks are close but not quite right. Good luck! 

Thank you everybody for your input.  I haven't contacted Primo directly because i wanted to see if the retailer would make it right before it took that route.  It would seem that their silence speaks volumes.  

Ill contact Primo today and should have this all wrapped up soon.  

I also have this problem, but I just have lived with it. You can use them, but they really don't fit very well. I've just bent them a bit so they don't fall into the fire box, but they're not a very good fit.

Moses in PA

Well i finally heard back from the retailer and it looks like they will accept them as a return.  

For those who wanted some measurements, they are as follows:

15" between the center supports, 9 3/4" from the center to outside edge support.

On 5/25/2017 at 7:52 AM, bigcaddy said:

Well i finally heard back from the retailer and it looks like they will accept them as a return.  

For those who wanted some measurements, they are as follows:

15" between the center supports, 9 3/4" from the center to outside edge support.

Glad to hear all is now well. Can't wait to see that thing in action.