Newbie with a Diamond Cut from Sam's Club

nglauer

Hello! I'm a newbie (2nd post) as I posted in the introductions earlier, and have now discovered there is a Vision section! (as directed to me by Vision Customer service after registering my grill). So far, i'm very impressed with my purchase, and the personal emails I received from Chris as Vision (who suggested I check out Kamadoguru.com). I was on the fence between an Akron or a lower end Traeger pellet grill... then I won a few gift cards from work and thought what the heck. I have wanted a ceramic egg style cooker for years, and I figured I might as well pull the trigger. I was shocked how easy it was to assemble. My only issue was that the glaze is very crazed on mine and it looked as though the glaze had exposed ceramic in some of the cracks (it was in the evening and partially dark). Upon further inspection today in the sun light, it looks more like a residue that'll wipe off with a little elbow grease. It also has a haze to portions of it.. but it's not to noticeable. My only regret thus far is not buying it in red. I really wanted a colored one, but Sam's doesn't stock any of the colors other than black in our store, however after cooking steaks on it last night... I could care less if it was neon pink. My shelf brackets do need a little tweaking, but i'm still impressed at how well everything was laid out, and how thorough the assembly instructions were. 

I'm hoping to build a table that my Kamado can set in, and my smoker can be integrated into. My first project will be to build an exhaust style hood to evacuate any smoke/etc. while starting up and cooking. I have a covered patio and have opted to keep my Kamado further in away from the weather. I'm hoping to keep it in great shape for many years to come. I know it's not as expensive as a green egg or some of the other models... but it was a huge purchase for us in comparison to the other grills I have owned over the years (in my signature). I can't wait to see what kind of mods everyone has done, and how your Kamado has been integrated into your patio, etc. 

Also....lighting suggestions? My old Charcoal grill had a handy propane igniter to light off the coals. I noticed that Vision sells an electric element style lighter as well, however I did not see one of the long curved handle one's on their website.. just the one made to slide through the door of the other models. Any thoughts on lighting? Also - does everyone use lump... briquettes... or what? The more suggestions the merrier. I plan on doing some marinated chicken on it tonight, but can honestly say the steak I cooked on it last night was probably the best grilled steak i've ever done, and I believe it was due to this grill and the lump charcoal I found (after lots of searching yesterday). 

Thanks again!

Nick in Ohio

I forgot to ask.. what does everyone use to clean the exterior of their Vision's? Can it be polished? My dad came over to my house to check mine out and laughed because he figured I would be waxing it when he came over.... well... he might be right if it can be done lol. I would like to keep it looking nice and shiny for years to come. 

Nick

Congratulations!  I have a the same model, bought from Sam's on April 13.  I had no fit/leak issues at all, it holds temperatures well.  I don't wash and wax it, but I do wipe it down with a damp cloth every time I use it.  I also find I just take better care of it than I have my previous grills.  For lighting I am using a chimney, but many here recommend against that - however, it works for me.  My bride was a little concerned with the cost, but now is in love with it - since we bought it a little over a month ago, she has only had to cook meat one time.  And we have yet to have a bad meal from the kamado.  By the way, I highly recommend the recipe section here.  I've used it a bunch of them - all winners.

Enjoy!  

I will have to look up the kick ash basket - never heard of it. I never thought to use the ash drawer... I may give that a try. If not, I just bought a weber chimney and weber lighting cubes. I also bought a new grill brush (is looks like a pumice stone). I like to do BBQ, but hate my racks afterwards. I usually use a putty knife I ground down to clean the grates of my grills... but with this, I figured I would try another route. 

Thanks again guys! I'm going to cook some pork on it tonight. I did chicken and potatoes on it yesterday (although I had my baby potatoes in a foil packet with olive oil, seasoning and some summer shandy... until I tore it and put out half of my coals!). Luckily it fired up pretty quickly.

Nick

4 hours ago, nglauer said:

Thanks again guys! I'm going to cook some pork on it tonight. I did chicken and potatoes on it yesterday (although I had my baby potatoes in a foil packet with olive oil, seasoning and some summer shandy... until I tore it and put out half of my coals!). Luckily it fired up pretty quickly.

Pics or it never happened!  :-D

If I were you I think i'd take the Chimney back and get a refund. Kamado heat up fine but if you overshoot (extremely likely with a lot of hot coals) it's extremely difficult to lower the temp. It's best to lite 1 or 2 cube or alcohol soaked cotton balls for low and slow, or 3 or 4 for med to high heat. I wouldn't use a Chimney unless I was getting ready for a pizza cook. Oh wait, I wouldn't even do it then cause I'd use my BS patio pizza oven. Then again you can try it and if you like how it works then stick with it.

Welcome nglauer!!! Like Billj I just bought my vision from sams a couple months ago. I use it at least two or three nights a week, and most weekends. I bought a chimney as well and depending on what I am cooking will I use it. If I'm doing high heat burgers, steaks, etc, I use the chimney to get the temp up quickly. If I'm going to do something else, just light the ash drawer or put a cube in the middle and it will work well. Just keep trying different stuff and you'll figure out what works best for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a cheap electric heat gun, lets me light as many or as few spots as I want, depending on the cook and gets things going much quicker than starter cubes or cotton balls.