New Akorn: Not-So-Good First Impressions

Hey guys,

I ordered an Akorn from Amazon last week and it arrived today.  I got home from work and opened the box, taking everything out carefully and laying it out on my garage floor.  Assembly went well for the most part but I did run into these issues.

1.  The package that contains all of the washers, screws and pins had been punctured and all 26 of the 1/4-20 1/2" screws were spread throughout one of the boxes.  Luckily I was able to track all of them down.

2. One of the shelf brackets that come pre-installed was bent quite a bit.  I was able to bend it back and the shelf works as it should.

3.  Okay the first two things weren't really a big deal, but this one sucks.  Before I noticed the shelf bracket was bent I put the lid on.  I used the 4 screws with the loctite on them and screwed the hinge and the lid to the main part of the grill.  I then tested it and once I put the lid down I notice a massive dent in the lid near the center, right of where the thermometer goes!

#3 really bummed me out.  I know I didn't cause the damage, I was very careful about removing everything from the box.  Everything seemed to be packaged nicely.  I'm  just wondering if anyone else has had this issue and what was done about it either from Amazon or Char-Griller customer service.  I am going to call Amazon tomorrow, I just don't feel like making that call tonight.

I believe it is purely a cosmetic issue, but I cannot be sure yet.  I sure hope they don't tell me to package it up and send it back because that would be nearly impossible.  Here is a pic of what my lid looks like.  There is also a smaller dent, further right of the big one that is also shown in the pics.

20170522_195748.jpg

20170522_195810.jpg

I just spoke with Char-Griller and the lady was very nice.  I sent her a picture of the damage and some other information and I should have a new lid in 5-7 business days.  Excellent customer service!  Even better, I don't have to send the damaged one back so I can still use it this Memorial Day Weekend.  I suppose I should keep the damaged lid around as a spare.  Are there any common problems with the lid that would warrant keeping the damaged one as a possible replacement down the road? 

I"m glad to hear that you got good customer service.  I don't understand how CharGriller can have such good customer service and such abysmal quality control in the manufacturing operations.  Kind of sad.  :-o

I think you got mine that I shipped back to Amazon!  Seriously....exact dent.   Caused by impact against the side of the box where the axle for the cart is placed diagonally.   We called Amazon who told us to pack it up and UPS would pick it up.   We got the new one either the next day or the day after....and they took the dented one with them.  

I think you got mine that I shipped back to Amazon!  Seriously....exact dent.   Caused by impact against the side of the box where the axle for the cart is placed diagonally.   We called Amazon who told us to pack it up and UPS would pick it up.   We got the new one either the next day or the day after....and they took the dented one with them.  

Haha! I called Amazon today and ended up getting a 20% refund on top of the new lid from Char-Griller. I'm currently doing the seasoning steps per the manual. I checked the temp gauge with my oven before installation and it was about -30 degrees. So I'm running it at roughly 460 degrees for an hour.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

What type of shape was the box in when it was delivered? It's odd to have dents and such like that during the manufacturing process, it would be even more odd for them to still be boxed up unless they were meant to be discounted items sold though discount retailers. The reason I ask is at one time I worked for one of the two largest package carriers and I've seen what that stuff goes through when it's unloaded from the trucks. I would never order a TV during the Christmas rush due to the fact that I have seen them literally being thrown out of semi trailers onto the conveyor belt for sorting. When boxes bust open due to the abuse they get retaped or reboxed and out for delivery.

Not saying that is what happened with your Akorn, but it is odd that something would get that damaged in the manufacturing process and still packaged for retail sale unless it was sold as a damaged, but working item. However if you paid full retail price and bought directly from Amazon, rather than a third party seller on associated with Amazon then who knows how it ended up damaged but still boxed up as a new Akorn. It's unfortunate that you have to wait on the replacement parts, but at least it seems that getting them was hassle free. Enjoy your Akorn and welcome to the site!