This is why your pizza bombed

1 hour ago, Chris Topher said:

An alternative to flour or semolina for “lubrication” is parchment paper. I assemble my pizza on parchment paper cut to approximate size on a wooden peel. Launching is no sweat, at pie and parchment slide right into my rig (DoJoe). After a few minutes, I give the pie a turn and remove the parchment as it will likely burn around the exposed edges. 

Some others around here use this approach. 

Yeah, we had friends over for pizza night and she brought two liaves of unbaked bread to cook on the cooling Kamado after we were done cooking pizza.  She used parchment paper so I understand the concept.

But what temps are you cooking your pizzas at?  The bread was cooked at 450F and the patchement paper did fine, but I'd be cincerned about it charring or bursting into flame at 800-900F...

Also, do you mean that you rotate the pizza on the parchment paper and then slip the parchment out from under the pizza?

7 hours ago, fafrd said:

It's true that the only pizzas I have made have been with 59% or 60% hydratiom, so perhaps that explains why I have not had issues lubricating with 00 (along with the fact that once the dough is first layed out on the peel for topings, it's loaded into the Kamado pretty quickly (2-3 minutes).

As far as brushing off any Semolina left on the pizza stone (that's what you meant by 'deck', right?), is that necessary?  Will leftover semolina on the pizza stone lead to off flavors if not brushed off between pizzas?  What do you use to brush it off?

I have to confess that aside from the scraping action of the aluminum pizza peel when rotating or removing the pizza, I have done nothing go 'prepare' the pizza stone after one pizza and before the next.

Among other things, this means that once a spot of char develops on my pizza stone, it's probably still there when the next pizza is landed, for better or for worse).

Any guidance as to preparing the pizza stone for the next pizza appreciated, especially whatever technique is used to dust off leftover semolina.

I use a 4” putty knife to scrape off anything left on the stone between pies. The ceramic sharpens the putty knife nicely the more you use it so the better it gets at char removal. 

You could always flip the stone gunked side down over the coals and burn it off clean.  

2 hours ago, KamadoChris said:

I use a 4” putty knife to scrape off anything left on the stone between pies. The ceramic sharpens the putty knife nicely the more you use it so the better it gets at char removal. 

You could always flip the stone gunked side down over the coals and burn it off clean.  

It doesn't clean off from being heated to 900F, but face down over coals is an interesting idea (much hotter).

I also read where some advise to lightly sand the surface which is another thing I may try eventually...

5 hours ago, fafrd said:

It doesn't clean off from being heated to 900F, but face down over coals is an interesting idea (much hotter).

I also read where some advise to lightly sand the surface which is another thing I may try eventually...

Works for my heat deflector when I get burned on sugar from a low and slow cook.  No reason it wouldn’t burn off some flour and cheese. I’ve actually chipped off layers of ceramic trying to scrape bonded sugar off my platesetter but it will burn off clean as if it was never there when I flip it over for a pizza cook. 

9 hours ago, John Setzler said:

Thats a great looking pizza freddy...

i like cooking in the 500 range because the pizza picks up some of the characteristic flavor of the wood fire.

Thanks John.  Are you using the 00 caputo blue bag at that temp?  i also enjoy the lower temp pizza and love pan pizzas (and detroits) but still experimenting around with different flours for those guys.

8 hours ago, Jose Andres Zapata said:

That is a great looking pizza Freddy!

thank you so much.  funny part is, if i let the temp drop to 700 it takes on a completely different appearance (still tasty though).

even when i mess up a pizza, i find that it still tastes pretty darn good lol

6 hours ago, fafrd said:

That's a d*mn fine-looking pie.

How long does your cook typically take at 800F?

thank you so much.

i have a couple of the thermoworks timers (that i barely use) and an AMAZING thermoworks infrared therm that i never use.

im getting the 800f reading from the therm that is built into my oven (hope that its accurrate lol) and i will guess that the pizza is cooking in 2-3 minutes or so?   but here is the difference (i find from MY experience and YMMV) between cooking this dough recipe in the wfo vs kamado:

1.  At 800-900 f temps, if you leave your pizza on the hearth or pizza stone until the top looks like the one i posted (leoparding) your bottom will burn 100% of the time (maybe yours wont but mine did).

2. the pizza in my photo cooked on the hearth for probably 2/3 of the time and then after the bottom was finished, we used the "doming" techinque to finish cooking the top.  Not sure that this can be accomplished in a kamado (ps, i LOVE cooking pizza in my kamado joe and probably try that 'do joe' but it will be prob be NY style pizza, not neapolitan style, but maybe, who knows).  i think that the ability to dome your pizza in a pizza oven takes the advantage over kamado for the high-temp Neapolitan Style.

3. i feel that you are a PERFECT candidate for a pizza oven, several of us kamado lovers on here have gotten them to compliment our kamado cooking, so much fun to cook on.  i have an original black kamado joe (dont think they even make it anymore) and i dont really like bringing temps up that high.  it is 6 years old and i use it for grilling, smoking, etc but usuallly at 500f and lower temps.

18 minutes ago, freddyjbbq said:

i also enjoy the lower temp pizza and love pan pizzas (and detroits) but still experimenting around with different flours for those guys.

Try King Arthur Pizza Blend Flour. It's a blend of three different flours and makes a tasty dough when used in pan style pizzas. It's actually Mrs skreef's favorite flour for pan pizzas. King Arthur also makes a pizza dough seasoning which gives the dough a slightly different flavor. And of course you can always mix in some sour dough starter to tweak the dough flavor. 

Thanks to all you for this discussion.  I'm hosting a pizza party at my RV tomorrow ... probably making around a dozen pies.  It will be my fourth time using my Camp Chef pizza oven accessory.  I've used John's dough recipe the first three times with 00 flour and and 65% hydration.  The pies have been delicious but I did have an issue the first time with getting them launched.  The second time I used cornmeal and it was better launching them but I did have some scorching on the pie bottom because i probably went too heavy with the meal.  Last time I tried parchment paper under the pie and wow it worked great.  I'll be continuing to do that.

I am going to try a 75/25 mix this time with bread flour/00.  I need to get better as well stretching the dough into pies, but I am going to keep trying a few different things.

Cheers

pizza_oven.thumb.jpg.91b33a219506596868e890f9c0db6b0e.jpg