This is why your pizza bombed

In my classic II it takes longer than 15 min to heat the stone to the temp i want . I have my stone resting on 4  3/4 inch cast iron plugs on top of the deflector plates set on the top grate. I Don't use the top vent and control the fire with the bottom vent. If you have an infrared thermometer you can shoot it down the vent to check the pizza stone temp. The dome temp is just one part of cooking a pie.  The edges cool faster on the stone due to more surface area and less mass than the center. Also don;t forget to burp.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Most failed pizza cooks are for the same reason when it comes to kamados and blackstone ovens.   There is a relationship between cooking temperatures and your dough recipes that must be unde

I use about a 65-70% hydration dough, Kamado at 500 degrees and pizza as close to the dome as possible sitting on a 1" thick pizza stone and the peel covered in a thick layer of semolina flour so it s

Pizza ovens - wood fired or otherwise - are typically very short and so there's a LOT of heat sitting in the top of the oven which cooks the top almost as fast as the crust.  That's one of the reasons

Posted Images

On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 11:23 AM, fafrd said:

I haven't given up on the technique but am planning to try broiling in the oven when tops need more cook time, since that seems like it would be much easier (though may not be hot enough to cause leoparding).

Marc Vetri, esteemed Italian chef and pizza guru, gives instructions in his Mastering Pizza cookbook on how to use the broiler in the oven. Without it in front of me, I believe he suggests cranking the oven as far as it goes, slide the pie on the stone then flip it to the broil. In theory, it mimics the wood-fired ovens.

If trying to cook at around 500, are you more concerned with the dome temp, or the stone temp?  Specifically, should I be cooking when my Maverick grate-clip probe says 500, or when my infrared says the stone itself is 500?  I assume the stone will be at 500 prior to the dome hitting that... but today will be my first time.

i ind of pay attention to both a real hot stone can cook the crust too fast while the top is not done all the way and vice versa. Did you see Johns video on pizza? He has a good explanation on dough. I kind of played it by ear and learned from the last one. Hope your pies came out great

19 hours ago, R5Ryder said:

... my Maverick grate-clip probe says 500, ...

I find my Maverick probes become unreliable when exposed to heat above their operating temperature. I never use them for pizza, past a "starting to get hot" alarm. 

Frank

2 hours ago, fbov said:

I find my Maverick probes become unreliable when exposed to heat above their operating temperature. I never use them for pizza, past a "starting to get hot" alarm. 

Frank

Not only that but you can actually ruin the probe if they are exposed to heat above their operating temperature and that would not be covered under warranty. 

• 3 weeks later...

Update on my dough stretching issues:

I did another pizza cook Saturday and used the 48-72 hour cold ferment dough recipe.  I also watched the Forkish videos about 4 times each before starting.  I mixed up the dough Thursday evening, folding it after 20 minutes and then divided it and placed it in plastic food containers coated in a thin layer of olive oil for the fridge.  I transported it to the campsite Friday after work in a normal cooler, and left it there on ice until around 2:30 pm Saturday.  I started making pies around 5:00 and the dough stretched just like I had hoped.  I also was able to launch them using only a well-floured wooden peel as shown in one of the Forkish videos.  Thanks to all of you that gave advice and pointed me to those excellent resources.  Sorry I don't have pics, but I get busy in the moment and never think to take any pics.  I had a blast.

• 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Thank you all for this post. Did our first Pizza Party today on the DOJO with my wife at the helm on a cook for the first time and it was a success thanks to the knowledge I have gotten here. Got her two peels- a wood and an aluminum, and we let it rip. Three perfect launches but she (the baker in the family) brought something to the table I have not seen mentioned. Rice flour. 
She assured me that rice flour is how to make dough not stick...and I just stand back when she drops these things. Anyway- it worked for us.  Now  full of pizza and off for a nap. 

31 minutes ago, TCK said:

Thank you all for this post. Did our first Pizza Party today on the DOJO with my wife at the helm on a cook for the first time and it was a success thanks to the knowledge I have gotten here. Got her two peels- a wood and an aluminum, and we let it rip. Three perfect launches but she (the baker in the family) brought something to the table I have not seen mentioned. Rice flour. 
She assured me that rice flour is how to make dough not stick...and I just stand back when she drops these things. Anyway- it worked for us.  Now  full of pizza and off for a nap. 

When she wants to take control, hand her the reigns, sit back and enjoy dinner.