face5535

New Egger looking for some help

Hey gents I wanted to pop over for some advise.  I was recently gifted a new Large BGE!  I hope to get some solid info on it and some quick guidance from you guys who have owned one for several years.

First,  I was gifted a BGE by relatives of mine who have owned an egg for years.  The egg they originally had completely broke... literally is GONE.  They did not save any of the parts or stuff they had, however... before everything was trashed, they filed a warranty claim on it.  Because they know I grill a lot, they gave me all the parts they received.  To keep the story short my uncle is not in good health, and he was the one who used the original egg.  Since he is not able to help me with this, and my aunt and cousins do not grill (nor have any clue about the grill), I was given all the parts they received on the warranty (since they will not be using it moving forward).

What I got from them was the following parts:

• Base
  • Dome
  • Firebox
  • Fire Ring
  • BGE Large Nest
  • Smokeware SS Chimney
  • Smokeware dome thermometer

Thats what I currently have (nothing else)... I have not opened anything up as I plan on taking this to my lake house and using it there.  It will be much easier to transport it 3 hours away in boxes vs taking it all out and assembling it at my home.  I do want to say, the only reason this is going to the lake is because I use a KJ Big Joe here at the house, and its what got me hooked on Kamado cooking.

The questions I have are as follows...

1. What other parts do I need to get this fully set up?  Are there any screws etc... or do all assembly items come with the bands?
  2. Would you guys recommend buying a plate setter or going the route of the KJ divide and conquer system (since I am familiar with it) or the Large adjustable rig from ceramic grill store
  3. Is there a specific gasket that is the best to go with?  I can easily buy the BGE ones... or is there something that is looked at as superior?
  4. Where is the best place to buy the bottom vent and screws for it?
  5. Anything else I am missing?

I do want to say thank you guys in advance for assisting me with these questions.  

Sorry to hear about your Uncle's health, I will pray for him and your Aunt, as well.  To start with I would open the boxes and check to see what is actually inside, for transport you can always tape them back up. The new Egg hinge and band assembly comes in it's own box. But, it could be that  possibly a separate box is packed inside either the dome or kettle base box. If you get to the lake and don't have all the parts, you will find yourself unable to accomplish the assembly.  From your list it looks like you are missing the hinge and band assembly. The handle and assembly generally comes with the bands. so it sounds like you are missing that as well. Sounds like you are also missing side tables and a bottom vent and screen assembly. You also seem to be missing a daisy wheel vent. You can use the SmokeWare, but I like to use the daisy wheel when the weathers good.   Anything you need I would suggest you purchase it directly from BGE. Everything you purchase from them will carry their warranty on that particular part with you as the original owner. As far as a gasket goes, again, I would go with the BGE high heat gasket, I have been cooking on one for almost 4 years including a host of pizza cooks and it is still up and cooking. It also sounds like you need a main grate and a diffuser. I have both an AR with a spider, stone and multiple grates, and a place setter as well. I pretty much never use the plate setter unless I am feeling nostalgic  and want to  go back to my BGE roots. IMO, the AR and attachments are the best grate configuration for a large Egg. The KJ D& C will fit, but the KJ classic is shorter in dome tapper and has less head room than a large BGE. Therefore, the D&C will not take advantage of all the headroom you have to work with. The AR, however, is specifically designed to fit in a BGE and take advantage of all the room available. With the AR spider, and stone, I would also purchase a 13 x 17"  brisket / ribs grate and stone. very useful for big cuts. I would also get an extender to go even higher into the dome, with a 14" pizza stone. I have all that along with duplicate 16" grill grates. If you don't want to spend that much just get the spider, a stone, and a main grate. However I would like to have at least two stones one to use as a deflector and one to use as a pizza stone. I use a 1/2 stone on the spider a lot, especially for steaks, tri tip, and the like. With a 1/2 stone you can make a two heat zone set up.  In my experience all the bolts and nuts needed come with the hinge and band assembly. Be careful with the rolling nest, I have seen a number of guys loose their eggs when it tipped in transport. I use a compact metal table made by a company called Sol'e, it is pricey at about $500, but it won't tip or drop my egg. Best of luck, with all this. and grace and peace to you,  your uncle, and aunt. Happy Cooking. 

1 hour ago, keeperovdeflame said:

Sorry to hear about your Uncle's health, I will pray for him and your Aunt, as well.  To start with I would open the boxes and check to see what is actually inside, for transport you can always tape them back up. The new Egg hinge and band assembly comes in it's own box. But, it could be that  possibly a separate box is packed inside either the dome or kettle base box. If you get to the lake and don't have all the parts, you will find yourself unable to accomplish the assembly.  From your list it looks like you are missing the hinge and band assembly. The handle and assembly generally comes with the bands. so it sounds like you are missing that as well. Sounds like you are also missing side tables and a bottom vent and screen assembly. You also seem to be missing a daisy wheel vent. You can use the SmokeWare, but I like to use the daisy wheel when the weathers good.   Anything you need I would suggest you purchase it directly from BGE. Everything you purchase from them will carry their warranty on that particular part with you as the original owner. As far as a gasket goes, again, I would go with the BGE high heat gasket, I have been cooking on one for almost 4 years including a host of pizza cooks and it is still up and cooking. It also sounds like you need a main grate and a diffuser. I have both an AR with a spider, stone and multiple grates, and a place setter as well. I pretty much never use the plate setter unless I am feeling nostalgic  and want to  go back to my BGE roots. IMO, the AR and attachments are the best grate configuration for a large Egg. The KJ D& C will fit, but the KJ classic is shorter in dome tapper and has less head room than a large BGE. Therefore, the D&C will not take advantage of all the headroom you have to work with. The AR, however, is specifically designed to fit in a BGE and take advantage of all the room available. With the AR spider, and stone, I would also purchase a 13 x 17"  brisket / ribs grate and stone. very useful for big cuts. I would also get an extender to go even higher into the dome, with a 14" pizza stone. I have all that along with duplicate 16" grill grates. If you don't want to spend that much just get the spider, a stone, and a main grate. However I would like to have at least two stones one to use as a deflector and one to use as a pizza stone. I use a 1/2 stone on the spider a lot, especially for steaks, tri tip, and the like. With a 1/2 stone you can make a two heat zone set up.  In my experience all the bolts and nuts needed come with the hinge and band assembly. Be careful with the rolling nest, I have seen a number of guys loose their eggs when it tipped in transport. I use a compact metal table made by a company called Sol'e, it is pricey at about $500, but it won't tip or drop my egg. Best of luck, with all this. and grace and peace to you,  your uncle, and aunt. Happy Cooking. 

Cheers and thanks for the info... I forgot to put I that I have the new bands!

also what is "AR"?  I'd like to go look at them and price.

So... decided to take your advise and head over to the stuff I got... the gaskets are on the dome and base!  And the base has the vent:)

As mentioned I have the rest... Awesome:) 

Now I just just need to get the grates, and internal rack system. 

What a nice suprise!!!

Yeah, It is good to know what you have and what you need. I think you will be very impressed with the AR they actually have some new options to make 2 zone cooking even easier. The AR is every bit as high quality at the DNC, I don't think you will find anyone that disputes that. and it is designed to fit your egg perfectly.  Here is the link to CGS and the AR. 

https://ceramicgrillstore.com/collections/shop-large-adjustable-rig-for-large-big-green-egg

If you find yourself interested in the AR, my advice is to call Tom the owner of CGS. His number is in the contact us section of his website. Let him know how you cook and what you want to be able to do. He is extremely knowledgeable, and a kamado pit master himself, he can guide you through what you need or want. Happy Cooking. 

19 minutes ago, keeperovdeflame said:

If you find yourself interested in the AR, my advice is to call Tom the owner of CGS. His number is in the contact us section of his website. Let him know how you cook and what you want to be able to do. He is extremely knowledgeable, and a kamado pit master himself, he and guide you through what you need or want. Happy Cooking. 

I am assuming that AR is adjustable rig?

47 minutes ago, Marty said:

I am assuming that AR is adjustable rig?

That would be correct. It would be pretty accurate to say that most folks who cook on BGE  soon or eventually get an AR. It is IMO the definitive cooking set up for a BGE and gives you maximum versatility.