This week I cooked a ton of ribs for my kid's teachers and the secretary who is leaving us. I thought it would be a great excuse to do a video if I could get them all in one grill. Turns out all 12 fit fine! 

IMG_2650_zpszwyz48c0.jpg

I was actually surprised how well this worked. The ribs came out great. I had a little hot spot at first because I was filming and the fire got too hot because I had the lid open but other than that, everything went great. I don't particularly like using rib racks but they work in a pinch. If I had to do this again, the only thing I think I'd do different is plan on it taking about 2 hours longer than normal if for no other reason than because rotating the ribs around takes time away from the cooking. 

Here's a shot about 3 hours in:

IMG_4566_zpshdphhtga.jpg

I used Setzler's pork rub. Here is the rub recipe:

Man Cave Pork Rub:

1 cup salt

1/2 cup turbinado or table sugar

1/2 cup black pepper

1/2 cup Tang instant breakfast drink mix

1/2 cup paprika

1/4 cup onion powder

1/4 cup garlic powder

1/4 cup chili powder

2 tbsp cayenne pepper

2 tbsp cocoa powder

2 tsp ground cinnamon

2 tsp ground clove

Put it all in a food processor and pulse 4 or 5 times for 4-5 seconds each time to create a uniform powder. Store it in an air tight jar away from the light for up to six months. (It won't last that long!)

I've never made it before and I admit when I first smelled it, all I could smell was the clove and that made me nervous they were going to turn out tasting like potpourri or something but they didn't at all. They were great. Even my wife commented on it and that's rare simply because we've tried so many rubs in the past.

ribs2%202_zpsfmajzhfo.jpg

ribs%202_zpswdcuvcoa.jpg

Here is a link to the video if you guys are interested. (It's funny.)

22 hours ago, CeramicChef said:

@Baby Back Maniac - as always, killer video and great cook.  Thanks for thinking of the faculty and staff at the school.  Theirs is a thankless job.  Kudos to you and Ms. Annette!  :respect:

Thanks, Ken. Yeah, it really is. Even in a school like ours where it's well run and a good percentage of the parents are on board and supportive, it's still amazing what some of these teachers have to deal with on a daily basis. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By social assassin
      This past weekend I attempted my first cook of baby back ribs on my new Kamado Joe Classic II.  I read on this forum that the 2-2-1 cooking method was the best option but my ribs came out dry.  I would say that half of my 2 slabs were too dry.  I used the EasyBBQ thermometer to monitor the temperature and the rib meat got to a temp of 212 and I was able to keep grill temp between 250 to 280 degrees.  What did I do wrong?  Is the rib temp of 212 too high?  Were my grill temps too high?  Also, I did use the deflector plates to produce indirect heat.  I would appreciate any feedback or tips.  Thanks.

SA

• By PatrickYYC
      Hi all,

I will be firing up my big joe for the first time tomorrow for some baby back ribs.

I have done ribs before on my Bradley smoker & weber gaser using the 3-2-0.5 (3 hours on the smoker, 2 hours wrapped on the Weber and 0.5 hours with sauce). I do the last two steps on the weber just because the ribs are more accessible for wrapping and sauce. Family usually loves these.

Ribs on the Joe:

I am planning on dry rub, no sugar ~5 hours @ 225-250 with no wrap, occasional spritzing and add sauce for last 30 minutes or so.

Questions:
      1- Is a drop pan necessary? Dry or with liquid in it? Based on my reading so far, I think not necessary other than to keep the heat deflector clean... opinions?
      2- To wrap or not to wrap? It seems both are acceptable. preferences? impact?
      3- how do I know they are done? by temp? bones? probe?

Any other suggestions?

I'll post during and after pics tomorrow.

Thanks

• By ClayB
      Had a day off so while doing some Honey do's around the house I smoked some ribs for supper. 

• By CentralTexBBQ
      Documenting my cook on the 4th: Beef Plate Ribs, 3 slabs of baby backs, 4 pounds of sausage

no plates or bbq sauce needed...
    • By Marshall Lucky
      Picked up a rack of Baby Baby Ribs last week.  Normally, I go for the St. Louis Style Ribs, but they were out of them the day I did my vittles shopping.  I had a strong hankering for some ribs, so I got the Baby Backs to smoke on a low and slow cook.  Some people have a sweet tooth, I have a smoke pork tooth.  Yyyyyeees, Sir!

In doing some quick and dirty researching on the wide world web, I came across some material stating the 2-2-1 method is an excellent method for smoking Baby Backs.  In the past, I have used the 3-2-1 method on a few racks of St. Louis Style.  For those not in the know, 2-2-1 refers to smoking the ribs on the grate for 2 hours, then wrapping them in foil for two hours with some type of liquid in the foil pouch, and then a final hour of finishing them on the grates to firm up the bark. 

The research led me to believe the meat would stay enough on the bone to require a little bite rather than the normal fall off the bone texture that I have done in the past.  I thought this would be a great technique to learn so as to expand my cooking experience and knowledge.

The night before, I prepped the rack by cutting them into two halves and liberally coating them with Runnin Wild's Pork Candy, Maple Sugar Bourbon flavor.  Wrapped the two halves in cling wrap and put them to bed in the refrigerator for the night so as to soak up all of those delicious flavors from the rub.

The next day, around noon, I set up my trusty and true Akorn to do an indirect cook at the low and slow temp of 230 degrees F.  For the smokey flavor, I was using Apple wood chunks.  Got the temp to come up slowly and settled in at the 234 degree F. mark.

The Baby Backs went on the grill grate with a few extra shakes of the Maple Sugar Bourbon rub.

After two hours of smoking the ribs low and slow, I pulled them off the grates to rest while I prepped for the foil part of the cook.

In my research, I learned that the ribs would tenderizing a bit if you put some liquid in the foil pouch.  I wanted to use this approach to not only tenderize, but also to kick it up a notch and flavorize the ribs.  In a blender, I added a cup of Apple Cider (cider mind you, not juice), 4 Chipotle peppers with Adobe sauce, and 4 tsp of Clover Honey then blended until a smooth sauce consistency.  I have used this same mixture of Apple Cider, Chipotle and Honey to marinate salmon.  It gives a bright, smokey and spicy taste to any meat.

Wrapped the halves of ribs in foil pouches with half of the sauce divided between the two.  Placed the pouches on the grill grate for two more hours.  Now the magic continues.

After two hours in the foil, put the ribs back on the grate to firm up the bark and added a couple of extra shakes of rub.  Pulled a piece of meat to do my quality taste test.   Wooooo, Buddy!  Look how that meat climbed up them bones!  That chicken Colonel from Kentucky ain't got nothing on me!  I got the real finger licking stuff right on my grill grate.  Yyyyyeees, Sir!

During the last 30 minutes of the cook, I wanted to sauce up the smaller half rack with some Sticky Fingers Carolina Sweet sauce.

To complement the ribs, I added to the plate a mustard style 'tater salad and a Kings Hawaiian Honey Wheat roll.  On the side, for the roll, I had a dipping saucer of olive oil with a mix of dried herbs and spices.

I enjoyed these Baby Backs immensely.  The meat clinged to the bone to where you needed to bite into the meat and tug, yet were still tender and juicy to the palate.  I think I enjoy both the fall-off-the-bone rib and the cling-to-the-bone rib.