Sous Vide 62 hour brisket

Paul

I followed the technique of this group from the you tube video channel Sous Vide Everything (great channel btw) and I have a quick question for all you Sous Vide'ers. I put smoke on the brisket for three hours before I sealed and inserted into the water bath. I wanted to do it at least 4 hours or until bark set but got waylaid by a broken ac unit in house so go a late start.  At 4pm this afternoon it will hit the 62 hour mark and I plan on searing it on the KJ

do I need to let the meat rest after this?  I didn't take that into account when I organized this cook but I still have a couple hours of time if I need to move back dinner

so incase my question got lost in all that Jibberish

do I need to rest meat after a sous vide cook?

thank you

image.jpgw

Sorry I didn't really take time to take proper pictures. Only one I have is this one if I can figure out how to post it on taptalk f2bc5ef92dfcd39e6234dc1f884ebf81.jpg
Think that is how you do it

Any way I seared it at high heat for 2 minutes on first side and 90 seconds on second side

The difference between this brisket cooked this method compared to the last one I did completely on the KJ was night and day
IMO. The sous vide brisket did not appear to be as moist as the one from kamado but it was by far more tender and to me more appealing to look at. The Kamado's brisket although great and appeared more moist it almost makes me think that I am eating pure fat

I did not like the sear. Thought I might have left to long per side and I might try the sear-all method next time with the torch

Also next time I am going to plan on smoking it longer than the three hours that I did this time. Although it did produce the smoke ring I thin it might have been better to leave longer to get the bark more set

Sorry about no pics but after 62 + hours was to excited to dig in

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@Paul - How was the texture of the brisket after 62 hours in the bath?  Some proteins turn to mush after that long in the bath.  Maybe brisket being a tough cut can take that length of time and turn out quite tender.

Thanks for posting this and your assessment.  Hope your next cook is more to your liking.  I think I'll stick with the old school conventional method ... a long low-n-slow over oak at 225F for about 14 hours and let you and other sous vide gurus do the heavy lifting.  

Thanks for the post! Sous vide/Kamado on!:)

• 4 weeks later...

Brisket definitely does not need a sear.  Maybe just a brief heating to dry out and firm the bark but not much more.  Compared to a sear, I would try this higher off the fire and at a lower temp, maybe 350-400?

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 5:44 PM, scdaf said:

I regularly sous vide chuck roasts for 72 hours and love the texture.  It's like filet minon, but beef flavored.  Cuts very easily with a fork, but does not shred.

A beef flavored filet mignon, I'm gonna have to find one of those and try it someday. ;-)

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 4:21 PM, JDEaston said:

A beef flavored filet mignon, I'm gonna have to find one of those and try it someday. ;-)

My point was, simply, filet mignon is the least flavorful cut from the entire animal.  Tender, you bet.  Flavorful, not so much.  

Fat is flavor, and even prime tenderloin has almost none.  I suspect REAL (as in, you can't buy any) Kobe beef may solve this problem, but I'll never find out.

If you like tenderloin, more power to you, just walk right on by the skirt, hanger, flap, chuck eye,  tri-tip and even rib eyes and short ribs.  You wouldn't like them. ;-)

1 hour ago, m-fine said:

No, real Kobe tenderloin has a bit more fat and is even more tender, but it is still not a super flavorful cut. 

Saved me from crying my eyes out because I can't afford any. 

• 2 weeks later...