Sign in to follow this  
Milanista

2017 Big Joe Hinge Adjustment

I've had my 2017 Big Joe for about a month and have only done a few cooks on it. When I saw the new air lift hinge video online it showed that the lid could stay in almost any position because of the counter balance. I also checked out a 2017 BJ at lowes this weekend and it too was able to stay in any position. My 2017 Kamado Joe Big Joe will not. I figured it is a simple adjustment of the hinge but I don't have a 7mm or 10mm on me and it wasn't included in my kit. 

I guess my question is, has anyone else experienced this and successfully adjusted the hinge so that the lid would hold in any position? Also, did your units come with the tools to adjust. It may be an oversight on my end but just curios as to what others are experiencing.

I just got mine this weekend and the air lift hinge is adjusted just right out of the box in terms of holding the lid. I also received the necessary tools to adjust it in the box.

My issue is that I have a very slight leak at the 11 o clock position that I believe to be a firmament issue with the lid and the base ( I posted about it on Saturday in another thread )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine came with the necessary adjustment tools and does hold in any position.

If they hadn't been included, Harbor Freight will have everything you need for $5. You could also call KJ, I'm sure they would make it right.

Hello... I have had mine now for around a month or so and can provide some feedback about the new hinge. Initially, mine was perfect right out of the box and the lid would normally stay put at pretty much any position. However, within a few days, it changed and loosened up to the point where it would only stay open when fully raised. Over those few days it had been raining a lot and was generally wet outside. After it dried up and didn't rain for a couple of days, the hinge tightened back up a bit and was more like it was initially. Funny, huh? I did go ahead and adjust the hinge, following the instructions I found here or online somewhere... The instructions were a little hard to follow, but once I figured it out, it was easy. I was able to do it with an adjustable wrench and pointy nose pliers, but I'm sure it is much easier with the 2 wrenches that fit properly... I bought some for next time. 

So, the adjustment worked well and when things are dry it is tight enough so that the lid raises extremely easy and will sit wherever you leave it and if it is wet or raining, it is a little looser, but still at a good resistance level. 

Funny how the moisture is definitely affecting the hinge mechanism, but I have monitored it long enough now to see that is clearly the case. Anyway, to make the adjustments, I recommend buying the wrenches you need and then it is no problem if you need to adjust on rare occasions.