Sign in to follow this  
KamadoSam

Pizza stone vs heat deflector

I took delivery of my KJ Classic 2 yesterday, and I am very very happy indeed. I'm totally new to BBQing but I have been learning a lot from this and some other forums out there - thank you all!

I'm wondering if the heat deflector can be used as a pizza stone? Or would that not work?

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a dedicated pizza stone I've had for 12+ years now. It's a deep black color and seasoned like a cast iron pan, it's almost non-stick. I wouldn't use my deflectors anyway because  mine typically have some burnt drippings on them that I wouldn't want to flavor my pizza in any way when the high temps start to burn off the reside on the deflectors.

Get an inexpensive pizza stone from one of the big box hardware stores or even Bed Bath and Beyond and use it, you won't be disappointed and invest in a peel. Metal works fine for a beginner or a wooden one seasons just like the stone will and makes a great presentation as you bring the pizza inside on it for a starving crowd!. I'm a value shopper and bought my metal one off of Amazon on the cheap. I even bought a nice rocking pizza cutter that works so much better that a round pizza cutter wheel we always used growing up.

There's something immensely satisfying as a griller hearing that rocking pizza cutter crunch through the crust on a hot pizza fresh off the grill. Plus the rocker doesn't move the toppings around like a pizza cutter does.

Heat deflectors are designed to deflect heat.  Pizza stones are designed to bake pizza.  Just because one piece of equipment looks like it could do a specific job doesn't mean you'll be satisfied with the results.  Most heat deflectors tend to get dirty over time and you'll think twice about putting a pizza on those dirty deflectors.  Use the proper tool for the proper job and you won't be disappointed with the results. 

I agree with the others, pick up a pizza stone.

That said, if all you have is the deflector and want to make a pizza, go for it and see how it comes out.  It won't hurt anything. Pizza took me a number of tries to get something edible and few years later, I am still chasing the consistent results I want.

Thanks all - I'll just get a pizza stone then. I'm in the UK but will be able to find something on Amazon if nowehere else.

I am still curious - might still give it a try on the deflector plates while they're still new and clean just to see how it turns out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You'll need the deflectors to deflect heat in addition to a stone anyways so get a good quality stone. I've got a pampered chef stone that has served me well over the last few years. The extender rack will also come in handy here as you'll want to get the pizza stone up closer to the dome so the radiant heat can cook the toppings. When I do pizza on the Big Joe I shoot for a 500-550°F temp with my deflectors on the grates at felt level, extender set on top of the deflectors, and my pampered chef stone on the extender. With the King Arthur No Knead Artisan dough recipe found on the site in @ckreef's pizza dough tutorial, you will find this to be an excellent setup to achieve a brick oven style pizza in about 8-9 minutes.