Sign in to follow this  
KamadoSam

Buyers remorse... should have got a BJ?!

I am kind of in the same boat. Just got a classic and figured it would be enough for the wife and I. My first time doing two large ribeye with the grates split, I was immediately concerned about the lack of space. I guess if I have people over I can use the gas grill too but it wont get that sear like the Joe does. So in hindsight I wish I would have bought the Bg Joe. 

I think you will learn to make due with the classic and will figure out how to get the most out of it. But, capacity is capacity and there is a limit with them all. I went back and forth with the same decision before i bought and went with the Big Joe. Now I have two Big Joes and dont tell my wife but I would like to add a Komodo Kamado to the mix as well. 

I think for 2 people 90% of the time you made the right choice. I have all three as well and a Big Joe would have been way over kill for two people. I personally do not use extender racks because I also have all three sizes. If you were cooking 2 or 3 prockchops on a Big Joe you bought yesterday you'd feel the same way and go out and but a jr like so many other people do.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Ok, one size fits all the classic with extended is pretty nice especially if you only need extender 1-2 times a year.

But if you need space more often, let's say once a month or more often then a Big Joe + Junior is great.

And if you most of the time need full space of classic and every now and then some more, two classics would be great.

Classic + Junior, at least to me, wouldn't make much sense.

So it all depends on what you need.

I got the Big Joe + Junior. I entertain few times a year, but also at times cook big meats. And I hate a crowded a crowded grill when flipping steaks..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

One more suggestion, find another 18 inch grill, then you can leave lower D&C, upper D&C, and extender racks.  That will give you about 650 sq in cooking space for things like ribs, wings, thighs, ect.  I wouldn't go much above 300 F with that setup. 

Ben

As many have mentioned

When it comes to liquor cabinets, garages, cigar humidors, grills, decks, engines, boats or anything else remotely fun always go as big as your budget will allow

It better to have and not need than to need and not have

After reading this now I'm debating if I really "need" the big joe. I guess I'm just trying to find an excuse to buy the big joe. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I also fall into this category. The best option for me will probably be the addition of a Jr when the budget allows for it.

Next up is a Joetisserie and a couple of cooking surfaces.

On the size you chose, you'll be fine. I have the larger Vision and have often wondered if I could have gone smaller. I'm amazed at how well mine conserves charcoal. I can often get 3 good burns from a single charcoal load. Happy cooking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Polar Bear said:

As many have mentioned

When it comes to liquor cabinets, garages, cigar humidors, grills, decks, engines, boats or anything else remotely fun always go as big as your budget will allow

It better to have and not need than to need and not have

And butts!!!! Let's not forget butts!

My wife insisted I go to the Big Joe...  "I don't want to hear any whining about it not being big enough later"...  After two years of cooking with it, I like cooking the whole meal on the grill, and find real estate tight.  A grill expander might work...  but I really like the idea of a Joe Jr.  With out either, I find I just have to be a better cook...  and I will continue to keep an eye out for a steeply discounted Joe Jr...

1 hour ago, cwhuling said:

My wife insisted I go to the Big Joe...  "I don't want to hear any whining about it not being big enough later"...  After two years of cooking with it, I like cooking the whole meal on the grill, and find real estate tight.  A grill expander might work...  but I really like the idea of a Joe Jr.  With out either, I find I just have to be a better cook...  and I will continue to keep an eye out for a steeply discounted Joe Jr...

Basicly the same here. When life changed and I started cooking smaller meals more often, I added a Jr. 

Now I am waiting for a classic...

My wife got the big joe for me and I'm glad she did. Even when I just cook for the 2 of us I will often cook large quantities so that we can eat leftovers for several days. And for those occasions when we have guests over it is really nice to have enough space on the grill to cook for everyone without crowding.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

So I managed the cook yesterday with just the basic grill and no extender.

Definitely worked out well enough. But I learned a few key things like how long things take to cook (I was quite unprepared) and also how to cook in the right order (eg start early with the ribs), quick things like burgers, sausages and chicken wings can go on once guests start arriving.

The extender will help for the next larger cook, so planning to get that.

Next I need to find a desert recipe that I can use to fully win over the wife to Kamado life!