Sign in to follow this  
KamadoSam

Buyers remorse... should have got a BJ?!

I literally just got my KJ Classic II yesterday and I'm already thinking I should have gone for the Big Joe... my rationale for going for the classic was cost and the fact that I would be cooking for 2 people 90% of the time.

However I have a BBQ for my birthday on Saturday and now I realise a Big Joe would have been best.

Does anyone have experience with the grill extender grate for multi-level cooking? Would you recommend it? Would you have to effectively cook two of the same type of food on both levels?

Sorry if these are noob questions, I am totally new to BBQing.

Some pics of my first cook attached too. Just wanted a quick cook to test out the new gear, and it was getting late so cooked up some chicken drumsticks, quick and easy.b7f146b8cd42abd3b698cbc681b39a12.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats on your new classic, nothing wrong with multi-level cooking of different types of meats. My rule of thumb though is if cooking chicken and some other meat is the chicken always goes on the bottom. I feel it's safer letting the chicken drippings not drip on the meat below.

Congrats! I've cooked for 50 on an Akorn before, you should have more than enough room with a Classic to do a birthday party. We're a family of three with a Big Joe and sometimes it seems like a waste to fire that thing up for the amount of food I cook for one meal, especially if I'm just going to sear something that was cooked sous vide. A Classic is more than enough for most small families unless you're entertaining large crowds on the regular. I have a food truck and we cater a little bit as well, I can do about 50 lbs of meat at max in a single batch on the Big Joe and we're already needing more capacity. Unless you have that kind of need, a Classic is just fine. Get the extender grate and you'll have plenty of room! 

Pick-up an extender. Also, the more time spent on the Joe the more you will get to know how much food you can squeeze into the Classic. Do I want a BJ for the occasional extra large cook...sure, but I can make do with what I have. 

It also helps that I have a full-size Akorn and an Akorn Jr. for times when I want want to cook at different temps or with more of the same.

16 minutes ago, SmoovD said:

Pick-up an extender. Also, the more time spent on the Joe the more you will get to know how much food you can squeeze into the Classic. Do I want a BJ for the occasional extra large cook...sure, but I can make do with what I have. 

This is the answer buy the extender , I think you will be surprised on how much food you will be able to in your grill

Call your dealer, he may take it back (maybe -15-20%) and use it as a demonstrator.  

Sadly I don't think this is an option, as I purchased from an online only retailer.

As was alluded to above, if you only are regretting not getting the BJ for occasional times then you could always go get an Acorn. That would cost  about $300 and give you more room between the 2 of them than 1 BJ would have been. Then you could get back to enjoying your new Classic II with no regrets.

I subscribe to a different though process on this.  I have all three grills and the Classic is my go to 90-95% of the time.  You will learn quite quickly how to churn out a lot of food on the classic.  I have also never used my extender rack with the exception of a large batch of wings one time in the past.

I guess the best course of action is to see how I get on this weekend cooking for a small group (about 8 people), then at the end of the month cooking for a larger group (about 20), then I'll know if it's worth buying the extender or not. Would realistically only use it 3-4 times a year, if that.

@KamadoSam - I'm in the same boat as you and what works for me during those larger events is an extender rack as others have mentioned. Once I got used to the classic and how and when to use the extender, I realized that a Joe Jr. would be a nice edition for me. I use the Jr for small cooks, cooking at separate temps than my classic, or different food items than what's loaded on the classic... say vegetables or a dessert, etc.

2 hours ago, wilpark said:

Were talking about the Big Joe, right?  ;)

General rule for me is" think about what I need and then go bigger...goes with cigars, scotch and just about every hobby I have.  Sorry I have never used extended grates.

So glad you clarified that. My response would have caused some embarrasment.