Akorn Jr. Alternative to the Smokin Stone

• 5 months later...
17 hours ago, taylola2010 said:

or just get this and no mods at all just sit it in there under the grill grate?

I like the serving tray, that must be new.  The nice thing about the fry pan is that it is deeper and you can foil the top of it creating an airspace so your drippings won't burn.

I will tell you that after repeated exposure to the extreme heat  it will rust and so you have some maintenance  you would not have with a stone but overall as a diffuser either would work.

Edited by K'man

Has anyone used the pizza stone from a Weber Baby Q? I got one that I never use. It's slightly more  than 10 inches. I read somewhere, that the charcoal grate from the large Akorn, will fit onto the smoking stone tabs on the Akorn Jr. I was thinking of sitting the Weber Baby Q stone, onto the large Akorn charcoal grate. In theory, I can't see why it wouldn't work?

On 9/26/2018 at 1:03 AM, Lensi said:

Has anyone used the pizza stone from a Weber Baby Q? I got one that I never use. It's slightly more  than 10 inches. I read somewhere, that the charcoal grate from the large Akorn, will fit onto the smoking stone tabs on the Akorn Jr. I was thinking of sitting the Weber Baby Q stone, onto the large Akorn charcoal grate. In theory, I can't see why it wouldn't work?

Lensi I can't see those two stones being interchangeable given the diameter difference but I don't own a full size Akorn.  I ideally at least in my experience the smokin stone set in place is too low for  the pizza if you just set another stone on top of it.  You  want to get the pizza up higher into the dome or at the very least as high as the cooking grate so top and crust cook at about the same time.

I'm not saying you can't cook a pizza that way but.......................

1 hour ago, K'man said:

Lensi I can't see those two stones being interchangeable given the diameter difference but I don't own a full size Akorn.  I ideally at least in my experience the smokin stone set in place is too low for  the pizza if you just set another stone on top of it.  You  want to get the pizza up higher into the dome or at the very least as high as the cooking grate so top and crust cook at about the same time.

I'm not saying you can't cook a pizza that way but.......................

Hi K’man. I didn’t explain myself properly. I mean to use the pizza stone as a heat deflector. Instead of buying a 10 inch cast iron lodge.

You could do that I think but I would not be cooking my pizza on it.  I'd sooner it be thicker if it was mine.  There are people who maintain an aluminium foil plate will act as a diffuser.  My issue with that is the fire wanders off in different areas of the fire box and I believe thermal mass helps more evenly distribute the heat. So to me more mass to a point is better.

Just my opinion.

Bought the cast iron skillet. Cut the handle off with a hacksaw. Used a bench grinder to grind it smooth. I like Bongowillie’s stainless deflector. However, I doubt I can buy it in Australia. We are a small market and we don’t have access to as many accesssories  as the US market. 

3136BDF3-EC91-4BFF-A5BB-D4C07254F72C.jpeg

77D2C1C4-8A01-4E22-9B75-198447D935FF.jpeg