So is version II worth the extra money vs picking up version I?

jaybert

I currently have a Akron and was considering making the move to a big joe. I found a dealer nearby who has the big joe version 1 for $1200, and I know Costco has the II for $1499. Trying to decide if it's worth the extra $300 for the improvements. Anyone experienced both models and have thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19 minutes ago, BEER-N-BBQ by Larry said:

If you're a weakling and struggle to open the lid on the old then the new one makes more sense. That's the biggest advantage I see to the new one other than the new vent cap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pretty much. Worth the price difference? It will be to some, it wont be to others. I wouldnt make the decision based on the new firebox though because if your version 1 cracks they send you the new style firebox as a replacement. 

Thanks for the comments everyone appreciate it. Any thoughts on the new top vent? Or is that more gimmicky? I mostly wouldn't plan on smoking when it's raining since I have my temp controller that I don't want to get wet. My reading hasn't really told me how much more useful it is.

I'm waiting to see if the local dealer will price match the Costco price. The closest one to me is a bit far/don't want to deal with transporting it myself. If they can't pricematch getting the old version for $1200 vs $1900 is a no brianer, but for $1200 vs $1500 it's a bit closer and I'm still not sure which one to go with

3 hours ago, jaybert said:

I currently have a Akron and was considering making the move to a big joe. I found a dealer nearby who has the big joe version 1 for $1200, and I know Costco has the II for $1499. Trying to decide if it's worth the extra $300 for the improvements. Anyone experienced both models and have thoughts?

3 hours ago, jaybert said:

Imho, you would be well served to look up the roadshows and pick a 2017 model at roadshows prices. I think the $1499 you are referring to is a roadshows price, not an everyday price. Forgive me if I am incorrect. The only way to beat a roadshow price, is if you get the roadshow demo deal. That is just ludicrous. Had I known a few months back the roadshow was coming to Mass I may have held out. No regrets though. I got a great deal and has a great couple months. If there is a show in your area I'd be all over that. 

7 hours ago, jaybert said:

This is a difficult question because the "old" model is just so dang good!  i would love to have the updated model/features and if i were buying first time i would probably go for new version.  Over 20 years or so that the grill is going to last you, that additional $300 gets smaller over time.

That being said, i own the original models and love them, would not trade them.  just replaced the gaskets with nomex on both the classic & jr for $16.00

5 hours ago, jaybert said:

........I mostly wouldn't plan on smoking when it's raining since I have my temp controller that I don't want to get wet. 

Don't let a little rain get in the way of your temp controller, just gotta get a bit more creative lol

i have a different rain cap now, but this $8 waterproof box keeps my flameboss completely dry

IMG_4589.JPG

image1.JPG

Well moot point anyways..the place locally which had the old version listed at $1499 didn't have any in stock and wouldn't pricematch Costco anyways. Looking at my options now, but the nearest Costco is pretty far away as well as I don't know exactly how I'd transport it back to my house anyways

Rent a truck and go get one at Costco. The savings will still be worth it.

Eh it's kind of on the border for me. Truck rental + at least 4 hours roundtrip (including time inside Costco/etc) I don't think is worth $275 savings (have to pay tax on $1499, whereas from bbqguys for $1899).

I found a slightly used older version for $1100 including a bunch of accessories (kick ash bucket, cover, etc) so I might go with that. He says it's only 7 months old and like new