So is version II worth the extra money vs picking up version I?

jaybert

You could see if bbqguys ends up having any Father's Day specials. For Memorial Day weekend they have free joetisseries with the classic and big joe. 

Ooh nice. Didn't realize that they did promos from time to time. Getting the joetisserie would definitely soften the blow! Thanks for the idea.

1 hour ago, CeramicChef said:

What's the cost of retrofitting V1 with V2 parts?

I don't think we know yet. So far, I think the only part that can get the V1 to V2 upgrade is the firebox.

I don't believe the new top vent is for sale as a stand alone item yet, and the hinge and gasket seem to need some additional work to make them backwards compatible. 

2 hours ago, jaybert said:

Eh it's kind of on the border for me. Truck rental + at least 4 hours roundtrip (including time inside Costco/etc) I don't think is worth $275 savings (have to pay tax on $1499, whereas from bbqguys for $1899).

I found a slightly used older version for $1100 including a bunch of accessories (kick ash bucket, cover, etc) so I might go with that. He says it's only 7 months old and like new

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only problem with a used KJ is making sure the lifetime warranty will still be good. Without the warranty, I don't think a used grill is worth it.

2 hours ago, CeramicChef said:

What's the cost of retrofitting V1 with V2 parts?

goodmquestion for some, but kind of irrelevant to others.  The counterbalance would be a benefit to all, not just those with shoulder issues. Biggger deal to some, but benefits all.  The new kontoroll tower is neat, but not a deal breaker or deal maker. The six segmented fire bowl also is nice, a big innovation, but not a deal breaker nor maker. Imho, don't retrofit...unless you have a shoulder injury.   As I have sId many times the 2017 model is mint and I envy those with it. However, I don't see much reason to try to modify my outstanding kooker to mimic it.

The only problem with a used KJ is making sure the lifetime warranty will still be good. Without the warranty, I don't think a used grill is worth it.

Yea the ceramic lifetime warranty is for the original owner only. I decided against the used one for that reason

11 hours ago, jaybert said:

Eh it's kind of on the border for me. Truck rental + at least 4 hours roundtrip (including time inside Costco/etc) I don't think is worth $275 savings (have to pay tax on $1499, whereas from bbqguys for $1899).

I found a slightly used older version for $1100 including a bunch of accessories (kick ash bucket, cover, etc) so I might go with that. He says it's only 7 months old and like new

i bought my big joe from BBQ Guys & it was a great buying experience.

BUT,  i would grab that big joe deal in a second.  if it's in good shape fan 10 x $100 bills in front of the guy

i bought my big joe from BBQ Guys & it was a great buying experience.

BUT,  i would grab that big joe deal in a second.  if it's in good shape fan 10 x $100 bills in front of the guy

He originally wanted $1250 and we ended up at $1100 + he delivers which seemed like a pretty fair deal for both parties. I was a bit worried given the ceramic warranty was for the original purchaser only. He did have a new model fire box that hadn't been installed yet (guessing old one had cracked).

Right now my 2 options are $1299 for a v1 (Amazon seller who says they are authorized dealer but I'm confirming) or $1710 ($1899 - 10% off coupon at wayfair). So about $400 difference.

Thanks for the help. I'll probably wait until Father's Day to see if any deals pop up, otherwise choose between 1 of the 2 options above.

I'm in a similar position

The BJ went up $800 here in Aus and its a toss up if the new improvements are worth that additional cost 
Considering the Firebox, top vent and gasket should all be retrofit-able in the future I'm having to ask myself if a little shoulder strain is worth an $800 saving.

Hinge aside, if you buy the older model you'll probably only have to work with the older parts for a couple of years anyway as cracked fire boxes are being replaced with the new style and gaskets wear out

I don't imagine the top vent will be that expensive when it eventually comes out as a spare part either so patience may save you some coin.

That having been said, that new hinge system is pretty awesome and adapting it for an older model grill might be difficult and costly in the future so as a few have already mentioned, the extra cost basically comes down to how much the air lift system means to you 

Personally, with my budget, I cant really justify the extra cost to save a little extra effort. Right now its a toss up between a Classic II or a 2016 BJ as the price rise across the range puts them at around the same price point (Classic II is $1999 and the 2016 BJ is around $2200) and I'd rather have a bigger grill than a lighter lid.

That's just me though   

Hello. I hope I'm not too late for my input. I own all 3 kamado joes. The big joe classic, joe jr and just this week picked up the joe classic ver 2. We cook a lot!! I love my big joe. Love it!! That being said the new Joe is awesome! Are the new upgrades worth it- oh my god yes! The dome with the new hinge and latch are great! They work so well with the new gasket. I own the joetisserie for both kamados. The new Joe does a better job sealing around the rotisserie. The latch and hinge are so easy to use. I'm no weakling. I don't miss the weight of my big joe. Especially when holding plates of food with both hands trying to close the dome. It's just easier and convenient. The new air vent is pretty neat. The air vent still closes accidentally when the dome is opened like the classic but overall better design. This is just my opinion. Either joe is AMAZING!! Good luck. 

I know everyone is holding their breath waiting to hear what I'm going to do, but I decided to just get the 2017 big joe. I actually found someone who did have the 2016 big joe for $1200 (+ $79 for delivery to backyard) but didn't want to end up with regret. It also gives me more time to decide if I want to get a table to put it in and get the one without legs/side tables.

• 4 weeks later...

My laziness paid off. They added to the roadshows a Costco that is 10minutes from me so I'm going to go pick up a big joe when they go on sale there. Now deciding if I want the demo deal. I have an Akron jr already but my friend said he would buy the kamado joe jr off of me if I got the demo.

On 6/8/2017 at 10:52 PM, Fernandos-Kamadoe said:

Hello. I hope I'm not too late for my input. I own all 3 kamado joes. The big joe classic, joe jr and just this week picked up the joe classic ver 2... I own the joetisserie for both kamados... 

That is a heck of a collection.  Very nice!

I have a V1 Classic and love it. Since my grills sit under cover the new top vent design is of no true benefit over the old faithful daisy wheel. I've been through the cracked fire box process so that's not  a concern because KJ warranty has my back. That said, I recently had the opportunity to see the V2 Classic and play with it at my local dealer. I now have a serious grillers crush on the new versions. If I were in your shoes, there is no doubt that I would purchase the new V2 just because if I didn't the whole time I used my new V1 Big Joe I would wish I had the newer one. In a couple of months the price difference will long be forgotten and you will be enjoying the best that Kamado Joe offers. That's just my opinion based on how I would approach that decision. Your mileage may vary. Yes, I'm the same guy who buys the newest cell phone model and newest computer and pays too much for those as well.