dfy8811

Lodge Cast Iron Pizza Pan

Curious if anyone else has this and had any thoughts on it:

https://www.amazon.com/Lodge-P14P3-Seasoned-Baking-Pizza/dp/B0000E2V3X

Saw it being used on one of Raichlen's Project Smoke episodes.  He uses it as more of a serving platter.  

I like to buy things that can serve double duty.  Figured I can use this as cast iron griddle on top of the accessory rack, pizza pan, and cool (albeit heavy) serving platter.  On certain cooks it could go straight from the grill to the table.  

Would love any thoughts.  

I have it, it could be a jack of all trades item, I don't love it.  

I like my pizzas cooked at temps that burn off CI seasoning. It is so big that as a stovetop griddle, the heating is so uneven. I have the D&C CI griddle, and just use that on the Joe. 

It is a nice large piece of CI that an have many uses. 

I don't have that one, but just as a heads up.... This one will not fit on a classic joe without cutting the handles off.

https://www.amazon.com/Lodge-CRS15-Seasoned-Steel-Skillet/dp/B01MZ58VDU/

I have been looking at the cast iron one you have linked but haven't bought it as of yet.

I have it, it could be a jack of all trades item, I don't love it.  

I like my pizzas cooked at temps that burn off CI seasoning. It is so big that as a stovetop griddle, the heating is so uneven. I have the D&C CI griddle, and just use that on the Joe. 

It is a nice large piece of CI that an have many uses. 

Does the KJ CI griddle hold up any differently to sear temps than any other CI pan?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't have that one, but just as a heads up.... This one will not fit on a classic joe without cutting the handles off.

https://www.amazon.com/Lodge-CRS15-Seasoned-Steel-Skillet/dp/B01MZ58VDU/

I have been looking at the cast iron one you have linked but haven't bought it as of yet.

Thanks for the heads up...I have a BJ so should be OK.

3 minutes ago, dfy8811 said:

Thanks for the heads up...I have a BJ so should be OK.

I really like the pan and have used it to make pizzas inside the last few times.  I just cant bring myself to cut the handles off for grill use.

The cast iron one you was on my radar, but I haven't made up my mind yet. 

8 minutes ago, dfy8811 said:

Does the KJ CI griddle hold up any differently to sear temps than any other CI pan?

As has been pointed out several times, the seasoning on ANY cast iron simply will not withstand searing temps.  It's not a function of the cast iron but rather the fact that the seasoning simply cannot withstand temps that high.  

As much as the KJ afficianodos here would hope, KJ cast iron isn't one bit different than Lodge or any other cast iron.

33 minutes ago, dfy8811 said:

The griddle and the soapstone both work great. I actually think the griddle might outperform all my lodge CI, but I may just be using it differently ( stovetop vs grill) 

14 hours ago, CeramicChef said:

As has been pointed out several times, the seasoning on ANY cast iron simply will not withstand searing temps.  It's not a function of the cast iron but rather the fact that the seasoning simply cannot withstand temps that high.  

As much as the KJ afficianodos here would hope, KJ cast iron isn't one bit different than Lodge or any other cast iron.

It is made out of a new steel --unrustium--LOL

14 hours ago, Mewantkj said:

The griddle and the soapstone both work great. I actually think the griddle might outperform all my lodge CI, but I may just be using it differently ( stovetop vs grill) 

The fist time I used the CI half moon i was stunned at how much better it was as compared to a CI skillet on the stove.

I finally came to the conclusion that it is a bit like gas vs charcoal with a grill. I have always been able to get a better sear with charcoal.

But wood and propane and are both listed as 3596  degrees F when burning in air on Wikipedia. Possibly it is the volume of heat available with charcoal.

Lately I have started to leave the CI on the stove top for 10 minutes timed after watching ATK and testing CI. They noted that it heats very uneven and they recommended an extended heating period in the oven.

At ten minutes heating on the  stove top it does perform much better.

1 hour ago, Marty said:

The fist time I used the CI half moon i was stunned at how much better it was as compared to a CI skillet on the stove.

I finally came to the conclusion that it is a bit like gas vs charcoal with a grill. I have always been able to get a better sear with charcoal.

But wood and propane and are both listed as 3596  degrees F when burning in air on Wikipedia. Possibly it is the volume of heat available with charcoal.

Lately I have started to leave the CI on the stove top for 10 minutes timed after watching ATK and testing CI. They noted that it heats very uneven and they recommended an extended heating period in the oven.

At ten minutes heating on the  stove top it does perform much better.

My take is this:  on a stovetop, you are constantly applying heat from the bottom and loosing it out the top.  In my Kamado I am applying more heat from below, but once the joe is heat soaked I am getting heat from above also. This means I have much better control of the CI temps in the Kamado. Kamado vs oven would be a better comparison than Kamado vs stovetop.  

Why haven't I tried to sear in a preheated oven at 500 F?  

5 minutes ago, Mewantkj said:

My take is this:  on a stovetop, you are constantly applying heat from the bottom and loosing it out the top.  In my Kamado I am applying more heat from below, but once the joe is heat soaked I am getting heat from above also. This means I have much better control of the CI temps in the Kamado. Kamado vs oven would be a better comparison than Kamado vs stovetop.  

Agreed.  The heat distribution of cast iron isn't an issue in an oven or Kamado.  If I was using a cast iron indoors to sear a steak, I'd throw the pan in the oven beforehand anyways for that reason.  

I'm concerned about the seasoning issue but I've ordered it anyway.  I'll probably tend to use this pan for burgers, bacon etc. (lower temps) rather than going nuclear on a steak.  I'd end up using my flipped grill grates for going nuclear.  

1 hour ago, Mewantkj said:

Ben I think you are on to something with the heat loss from the top. If I remember ATK recommended 30 minutes in the oven to equal out the heat across the whole surface. As far as the stove top I do find that 10 minutes with the burner wide open works much better than just waiting for smoke from the oil. Come to think of it the Kamado is an oven LOL.