GrillGrate for Pit Boss 24 Inch

BennyB

Hi guys,

Has anyone bought a GrillGrate for their Pit Boss 24 inch Kamado? Which size works best? I've been looking them up and they seem to be pretty good for searing & I'm a sucker for new toys!

Cheers,

Ben

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I have GrillGrates which I use on other cookers, but have never used them on the Pit Boss, as it gets plenty hot for searing, in my opinion.

Edit:  Many people use cast iron as a much less expensive alternative.

Edited by scdaf

I am not a fan of cast iron grates or grill grates. The GG's solve a problem you don't have, not enough heat for a good sear. Cast iron grates makes big pretty looking sear marks but a very uneven sear.  

To sear in the PB, I use a CGS Spider to hold a cheap Weber charcoal grate ($10-12) low over the coals. You get decent grill marks but more importantly you get a good even sear between the grates. Another option is a cast iron pan or griddle. No grill marks but a nice even sear. The downside is the super high heat burns the seasoning off cast iron so you need to keep reseasoning to prevent rust (don't use your good CI pans for this).  

I find I have to use a lot of charcoal to pile it high enough in order to get a hot enough temp to sear properly. I'd love to use a spider but unfortunately here in Australia the cost is prohibitive to ship them over here & there's no local manufacturer either.

33 minutes ago, BennyB said:

I find I have to use a lot of charcoal to pile it high enough in order to get a hot enough temp to sear properly. I'd love to use a spider but unfortunately here in Australia the cost is prohibitive to ship them over here & there's no local manufacturer either.

I took a weber charcoal grate and welded 3 L brackets made out of 1/4" rolled steel for the spider legs, works great.   And I don't have any problem getting the hot side of the grill hot enough to sear a steak, even with the grate sitting on top of the firebox.  Reverse sear on the cool side, then throw it over on the hot side to sear.

@BennyB - call GrillGrates. They cut their product for just about every kamado on the planet.  Nothing beats GG.  They are the real deal.  Besides, you can always flip them over and use the back side as a griddle.  Do the smart thing and do yourself a real favor; call GG.

I took a weber charcoal grate and welded 3 L brackets made out of 1/4" rolled steel for the spider legs, works great.   And I don't have any problem getting the hot side of the grill hot enough to sear a steak, even with the grate sitting on top of the firebox.  Reverse sear on the cool side, then throw it over on the hot side to sear.

Looks like I'm learning how to weld :-D

[mention=13358]BennyB[/mention] - call GrillGrates. They cut their product for just about every kamado on the planet.  Nothing beats GG.  They are the real deal.  Besides, you can always flip them over and use the back side as a griddle.  Do the smart thing and do yourself a real favor; call GG.

Cheers CC, I just found their FB page & left them a message so hopefully I'll hear back soon. Someone else suggested that the Weber 22 inch grate works for the Pit Boss, I think I could get that one already in Australia.

24 minutes ago, BennyB said:

Cheers CC, I just found their FB page & left them a message so hopefully I'll hear back soon. Someone else suggested that the Weber 22 inch grate works for the Pit Boss, I think I could get that one already in Australia.

Gotta agree with CC...nothing beats grill grates. I don't know how, don't know why... but they are awesome. Forgive me if I sound stupid, but I know how my food tastes.

Grill Grates awesome for limited heat like gas. On charcoal some of us love them and some do not.

Awesome for things that do not want deep brown or a lot of drying heat between the bars like fish.

Personally I get better browning on a steak with the CI griddle and a weight.

What ever works for you is all that matters. Enjoy!!

In my year of owning my PB 24, I have never made a hot-side/cool-side fire layout. Makes sense - I should try it anyway. [emoji16]

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk

• 5 weeks later...

Would like to revisit this and ask, those of you that use and own them are they only really usable over direct heat? What i am really after is would the heated air that comes around the deflector be enough to head the GG's enough to sear is the GG's are positioned to take advantage of that heat? Aluminum is a wonderful conductor so wondering how well they work in indirect or the situation described herein?