Sign in to follow this  
freddyjbbq

cook in barrel

hey y'all,

always wanted to try a UDS, so why not?  i left it ugly and scavenged as many parts as i could, was on s mission to keep the cost down & i ended up spending about $70.

its been a fun project & fun to cook on something different.  i did a pork shoulder today & ran the drum with my flameboss & the results were fantastic!

i'm going to build a charcoal basket at some point but so far have just been filling the bottom 1/2 of a weber smokey joe & just drop it in there.

IMG_4559.JPGIMG_4559.JPG

IMG_4612.JPG

IMG_4579.JPG

Love it! I tried explaining the UDS to my business partner and all I got was a blank stare! We have an event coming up and I'll need a smoker on site, I told him I was NOT dragging my $1700 ceramic cooker out for this venture and that crossed his eyes even more! He says, "You paid how much for that thing?!?!". I guess I'm just going to have to follow your lead, throw a UDS together and show him what it's about! 

7 hours ago, prowe said:

That looks nice from the outside, the bomb from the inside, and that pig licks insane. Nice work Freddy!

thanks Paul, it's fun to cook on a variety of cooking vessels, this thing cooks like my WSM did.

3 hours ago, Mr Cue said:

Love it! I tried explaining the UDS to my business partner and all I got was a blank stare! We have an event coming up and I'll need a smoker on site, I told him I was NOT dragging my $1700 ceramic cooker out for this venture and that crossed his eyes even more! He says, "You paid how much for that thing?!?!". I guess I'm just going to have to follow your lead, throw a UDS together and show him what it's about! 

i think that's a great idea, Aside from the portability aspect, cut up an onion or 2 and put it on the coals, the aroma of that & pork dripping will drive the crowd crazy!

you can fit a ton of volume & i did a test of loading the butt with brown sugar to see if the direct heat would burn it....it didn't!

learned a couple build tips along the way as well, if the burn out doesn't get rid of the liner, easy off oven cleaner & some paper towels works like magic!

On 6/8/2017 at 11:46 AM, Astroguy57 said:

Great idea, love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Google ugly drum smoker sometime when you get a free moment, guys have been doing some great things with these barrels for a long time.  they can make some great bbq & theyre fun.

8 hours ago, jrow17 said:

Well done Freddy!!!!

10 hours ago, ckreef said:

Really kewl home project. Pork looks delicious. 

10 hours ago, Sodaking27 said:

Looks good Freddy.

I don't need a UDS.. I don't need a UDS... I don't need a UDS...

thanks guys,

there is a fun-factor in sourcing the parts and making the build.  scored some parts yesterday to make a better charcoal basket to allow a longer burn time.

unfortunately, while i continue to research uds i stumbled across a group of dudes making awesome smokers from whiskey/wine barrels & i can get one locally for $150

30 minutes ago, Freddyj said:

thanks guys,

there is a fun-factor in sourcing the parts and making the build.  scored some parts yesterday to make a better charcoal basket to allow a longer burn time.

unfortunately, while i continue to research uds i stumbled across a group of dudes making awesome smokers from whiskey/wine barrels & i can get one locally for $150

Will be watching for your whiskey/wine barrel cooker. There is a company that sells them commercially. They seem to only have about a 5 year life expectancy which would be ok as long as it's cheap enough. The commercial ones are not cheap enough for only 5 years. There's a thread somewhere on the Guru that talks about the whiskey barrel cookers.