diver165

Fire Up Charcoal Igniter

I'm new to ceramic cooking.  I've always been a chimney starter BBQer.  And when I looked at getting a ceramic grill I was told that these were a no no since it defeats the purpose of lighting in one place.  It was recommended I try a Looflighter.  At 80.00 I was kinda stunned.  I started looking around and found many alternatives but they were all in the same price range.  That is until I stumbled by the Fire Up Charcoal Igniter found at Home Depot.  At just 39.95 I was curious.   I must say, while I've never used a Looflighter, I can't say it would out perform this one.  It lit my bowl of Royal Oak Lump in less than 1 min (more like 30 seconds).  I must say I was impressed!  It has a 3 position switch (OFF, Fan, Fan/Heat).  Once you get the coals a nice healthy orange flip it over on fan for a second.  That keeps the air flowing and gets the coals started.  

For the price I am impressed.  

39.95 at Home Depot.  It can also be found slightly cheaper on Amazon.

Model # CC4111   

There are lots of ways to start your grill.  I just wanted to point out that there is a cheaper alternative to a somewhat expensive BBQ tool and it's readily available at HD.

If you're a newbie, take John Setzler's (and so many others') advice and get yourself a copy of The Kamado Smoker & Grill Cookbook" by Chris Grove. Not just a cookbook, I've only read the first 45 pages or so, and I've begun picking up tricks that I would likely never have picked up on. For instance, my new favourite lighting method is to drizzle a bit of cooking oil on a piece of paper towel, roll it into a soft cylinder, bury  it in a "c" shape among my coals and light the ends. Much less expensive than any of the fancy, expensive gadgets I've found on store shelves, and it works just fine. As a real kamado newbie myself, I'm still trying to distinguish between "must have" accessories and "fun gimmes" that can wait. Thanks to Chris Grove, fire starters are no longer on either list.

On ‎18‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 0:43 AM, El_Norteno60 said:

If you're a newbie, take John Setzler's (and so many others') advice and get yourself a copy of The Kamado Smoker & Grill Cookbook" by Chris Grove. Not just a cookbook, I've only read the first 45 pages or so, and I've begun picking up tricks that I would likely never have picked up on. For instance, my new favourite lighting method is to drizzle a bit of cooking oil on a piece of paper towel, roll it into a soft cylinder, bury  it in a "c" shape among my coals and light the ends. Much less expensive than any of the fancy, expensive gadgets I've found on store shelves, and it works just fine. As a real kamado newbie myself, I'm still trying to distinguish between "must have" accessories and "fun gimmes" that can wait. Thanks to Chris Grove, fire starters are no longer on either list.

In my limited experience, 90% of BBQ tools are "fun gimmicks"