These are the two brands offered locally to me without ordering online.  I have been using the B&B but I'm new to using lump so which one is better?  I read a few reviews on other more expensive brands.  Maybe I will order that in the future just to test it out.  

RO is prolly the most popular brand. I use it. It's good. Sometimes ya just gotta try fogo, wicked good or KJ BB. Maybe some rockwood...though I haven't lit that yet. Give a few brands a chance. Some folks say they are all the same, some folks will tell ya one is the best. I have my opinion. You are free to determine yours. BnB I just heard bout recently. I would go with the RO for everyday cooks while you test a few others.   RO is a great value. Fogo is great, and recently I tried wicked good which is awesome too. KJ big block is probably going to be my go to as it is quality,as the others mentioned above, but also and easyish to come by.

I'm a skeptic, but I will also try everything at least once.  I used to see first hand what goes on with forums in other hobbies as far as product promotion goes.   I mean this is grilling so no need to go that far but you see my point. Lol I will have to try the royal oak next though as it's sold at hone depot and slightly less than B&B.   Thanks for the input guys I was worried this forum might be stagnant.  Cheers!

Make sure the Royal Oak you saw at Home Depot is actual lump and not their briquettes. I was in Lowe's and they had a sale for 2 bags of Royal Oak for $8.99, but as I was loading it into my cart I realized it was their briquettes and my day was ruined lol.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

These are the two brands offered locally to me without ordering online.  I have been using the B&B but I'm new to using lump so which one is better?  I read a few reviews on other more expensive brands.  Maybe I will order that in the future just to test it out.  

I've used both and found B&B Oak to be more consistent than RO. I've had some good bags of RO, but also quite a few with an inordinate amount of slivers and dust.

That said, I did try one bag of B&B Hickory and it was pretty bad, 100% smalls, and a good amount of slivers and dust at the bottom.

The best charcoal I've used is Kamado Joe. Good sized chunks with little to no waste. I just opened my first bag of "Big Block" and it's even better than the "restaurant grade" I've used previously. When I buy it at Costco the price per pound is about the same as RO at HD, but the quality is much better. If you have a Costco near you check it out the next time a road show comes through, I try to buy enough to get me through the year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RO works fine for me and I use it for most cooks. Never had much problem with it though it does seem to vary in size. But that might be related to the way the bags are handled as I pulled my own 5 bag off of the pallet in Home Depot the last time and so far they have been real good. Plenty of decent sized pieces.

Don't know anything about the bad smell that 5698K mentions.

RO is my go to lump, mainly due to the price and availability. I haven't had any negative issues with it either so I don't see any reason to go with something different. If I can find B&B around here I'll give it a try though since it's around the same price point, but I haven't seen it anywhere locally, although I haven't been looking for it either. I'll probably buy a bag of Fogo sometime this summer just to see what all the fuss is about, but doubt it'll ever be my go to lump due to the price and having to order it.

On 6/10/2017 at 6:13 AM, Tarheel said:

I've used both and found B&B Oak to be more consistent than RO. I've had some good bags of RO, but also quite a few with an inordinate amount of slivers and dust.

That said, I did try one bag of B&B Hickory and it was pretty bad, 100% smalls, and a good amount of slivers and dust at the bottom.

The best charcoal I've used is Kamado Joe. Good sized chunks with little to no waste. I just opened my first bag of "Big Block" and it's even better than the "restaurant grade" I've used previously. When I buy it at Costco the price per pound is about the same as RO at HD, but the quality is much better. If you have a Costco near you check it out the next time a road show comes through, I try to buy enough to get me through the year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I read your post wrong, I looked at cosco show calender but it only goes into July but I will keep checking.  Thanks.

I have used RO since I bought my Vision Pro S and have gotten a lot of rocks and dust in the bags. I went to my local Walmart to buy some more RO, but they didn't have any. Instead, they had B and B. It came in a 20 lb bag and was a little more expensive, but I needed some lump for a cookout that weekend, so I bought a bag. I love this stuff. so far, no rocks or stones. It seems to burn more evenly. But the main reason I love this stuff is it seems much easier to hit your target temperature and hold it. I had a very hard time with RO holding a temp. Walmart also seems to sell out of it a lot. I asked the sale associate why they didn't order more than one skid. She said she'd order several skids since it was selling so good. Now if I need lump, Walmart has it. I have a fresh bag in my car right now. Give this stuff a try.