Smoke - What You Need to Know

18 minutes ago, SmallBBQr said:

Kinda thinking if you had a stock of wood for an offset smoker, then you likely have enough for about 100 years on a Kamado.

I do! I have a little saw mill here and I get lots of scraps from different trees, mostly pine , which is great for lumber but not for smoking, but the occasional hickory, oak, and one big cherry I took down in my yard.

• 4 weeks later...

Very first post here. I am a Kamado newbie. I am getting a Large BGE from a friend who does not use it and it has been barely used by anyone. I have been a long time pellet smoker and also had a Pit Barrel Cooker at one time. I am looking at the kamado because I want a more traditional/stronger smoke profile on my meat. I like a charcoal taste as well but I am also hopeful the BGE will be easier to use than then PBC. Any thoughts on smoke profile/smokiness on a kamado? Thanks!

• 5 months later...

Hello Everyone:

I'm also a newby. Used my kamado yesterday for first time. Put in my lump charcoal and mixed 3 wood chucks (apple) in with the lump charcoal. Used 3 fire starters. Smoke was to much. Had to shut my grill down. Neighbors were upset. It was bad. Can't blame them. Finished the Boston pot in crock pot overnight. And chicken in oven. Put the meat on the grill before charcoal was ready. What suggestions do you have to reduce the smoke issue? I want to use my grill without upsetting the neighbors

16 minutes ago, Haggy said:

Hello Everyone:

I'm also a newby. Used my kamado yesterday for first time. Put in my lump charcoal and mixed 3 wood chucks (apple) in with the lump charcoal. Used 3 fire starters. Smoke was to much. Had to shut my grill down. Neighbors were upset. It was bad. Can't blame them. Finished the Boston pot in crock pot overnight. And chicken in oven. Put the meat on the grill before charcoal was ready. What suggestions do you have to reduce the smoke issue? I want to use my grill without upsetting the neighbors

These grills are gonna smoke a bit when you first fire them up.  3 starters is too much for a low and slow cook also.  3 chunks of wood should have been about perfect for a long low and slow cook though.   It takes the grill a bit to get a clean burning fire going but once it does it won't be smoking like that.

:welcome: Haggy.  I assume that by using 3 firestarters you were hoping to create a hot cooking environment.  (If you were cooking a Boston butt and aiming for a cook temp of 225*-275+ I don't know why you would use so many firestarters.)  If you lit the firestarters and then closed the dome too soon, it could be the cause of the excessive smoke your neighbors complained of.  Other possible causes like damp lump or wood chunks, closing down the vents too soon on a firebox full of partially lit lump, adding the food before the fire was ready and fat dripping onto smoldering coals also come to mind.

I suggest using fewer firestarters, beginning with fresh lump, letting the kamado come to temp slowly, and experimenting with top and bottom vent setting to achieve the cooking temperature and time you have determined is appropriate for the food you are cooking.

Don't give up; you'll find the learning curve is pretty quick once you figure out a few basic rules.  Good luck.