Well after seeing all the nice new toys some of you all were getting, my resistance got worn down. A week before my birthday, I went to the local Sur la Table store to look at some Miyabi’s. I then approached the subject of a new knife with the CFO. Her initial response was a firm “No Way!”

Fast forward a week to after my birthday party was over and I see she has left a present aside so as not to have it opened in front of our guests. She had me open it and it was a box of “You’re Awe-Some” Reese’s Peanut butter bars. I’m thinking yum but also why did we wait on this? She saw my confused look so she told me “open the box”. I opened it and there is a couple of bills in there with a note that says “To my Favorite Cut-Up!” along with a picture of a knife.

Well after many weeks of researching, looking online and in person at a couple of local stores, I pulled the trigger on a 7 piece set of Miyabi Artisans. I looked at, held and tried slicing and chopping Potatoes, Carrots and Apples with:

Shun's: Classic, Premier, Kaji and Hakari series.

Miyabi's: Evolution, Koh, Kaizen II and the Artisan series.

Kramer's: Meiji and Stainless Damascus series.

Notes: I went to the closest Williams Sonoma store to look at the Shuns. Based on how they felt in my hand and how they chopped / sliced, I liked the Hakari series the best. Followed be the Premier and then the Classic. I thought I’d like the Kaji series but the handle wasn’t what I thought and it just didn’t feel comfortable. I really considered buying the Hakari. The thing that held me back was the fact that the food kept sticking to the blade. That issue, and the price caused me to continue to look.

I then went back to the Sur la Table store to look at the Miybai’s again. Based on how they felt in my hand and how they chopped / sliced, I liked the Artisan series the best. Followed be the Koh and then the Evolution series. I liked the way the Kaizen II series felt but it didn’t slice as well as the others. (It’s possible it just needed to be re-sharpened)

I thought I’d like the Kramer’s more. I liked the way the Meiji series felt in my hand better than the Stainless Damascus did. They both looked stunning but they didn’t slice with nearly the ease of the Miyabi’s. (except the Kaizen II)  

I went with the Artisan SG2 series for the following reasons:

1. First and foremost is the way it felt in my hand. It was like it was an extension of my fingers.

2. The ease of how it sliced thru the veggies. Yes the food did stick to the blade but not quite to the same extent as it did on the Shuns.

3. Price. I was willing to spend more but being able to spend less was something I did notice. For the price of 2 Kramer’s or 3 Hakari’s, I got 4 knives, a new block, sharpening steel and another set of kitchen shears.

4. Finally is the fact that I had a 15% off coupon that Sur la Table honored for these knives.

Here is the un-opened box.

34821185450_8df20639ee_c.jpg

Knives unboxed

35182608366_b90e2ff204_c.jpg

Here’s the nice handle with the decorative accents.

35056963332_69e60b5449_c.jpg

3 1/2" Paring Knife

35056954512_a1dc2ffed7_c.jpg

7” Santoku

34413420173_5bf871663e_c.jpg

Close-up on the Miyabi logo on the 8” Chef’s Knife

35056962702_29e6968cf2_c.jpg

Close-up on the 8” Chef’s Knife’s blade.

35056962332_1337d7ab26_c.jpg

9” Bread Knife

34413416773_eb8233e5ee_c.jpg

Close-up on the 9” Bread Knife’s blade.

34413416113_1ddeed10a0_c.jpg

7” Santoku next to my 6” Zwilling Chef’s knife.

34835819750_8f40b8e561_c.jpg

Now for a couple of disappointing observations. The new block they included doesn’t appear to be a great block for this series of knives. First thing is it looks crooked.

34413485313_376e55600f_c.jpg

Next thing is that it isn’t very tall. I inserted the 9” Bread Knife into an appropriate looking narrower slot

35092655091_9fb448c1c4_c.jpg

and it comes out the bottom and hits the counter.

34378506684_bef638a912_c.jpg

So I have to move it up to one of the top 2 slots so it won’t hit the counter.

35092654111_fd7746058c_c.jpg

The problem is that these are wider slots which means I won’t have room for another wide (deep) knife like a Nakiri. Also, if I buy the 9 1/2” slicing knife, it will also take up one of the 2 top wide slots, this means that I won’t have a slot that fits either my Chef’s or Santoku knife. So if I buy the slicer, I have to buy a new block as well.

34378505534_41ebdfed43_c.jpg

The final issue is that the slots are close together and these handles are thick and touch each other when inserted all the same direction.

35092653021_0e654d7eaf_c.jpg

Here’s a piece of paper proving that they are touching.

34378504214_1bac633dd2_c.jpg

If you don’t want them to touch each other you need to insert them in alternating directions. This is fine but my OCD self doesn’t like it.

35092658741_c5f007fe36_c.jpg

I’m very happy with these knives but very disappointed in the knife block that was included.

Finally here is a YouTube video showing the sharpness of these new knives.

Thanks for looking and we, who are in trouble, salute you who are about to be in trouble!

Awesome set of knives. I love my Miyabi Artisan SG2  knives. They look great, cut great and have the best feeling handle to me. Overall fit and finish is spot on. 

Can't comment on the knife block other than those knives are too pretty to be hidden in a knife block. Get a nice looking  knife bar. 

Thanks you  ck.

I would do that but our kitchen is very small. (Like boat galley small) We refer to it as a 1 butt kitchen. If there is more than 1 then there are too many cooks in the kitchen.

I literally do not have a wall were I could mount one.

Congratulations, DH.  Those are beautiful knives, and it sounds like you got a very good price.

Because all of my kitchen walls are tiled, I keep my knives in a Wustof 35 slot block that I got for $50 when Chef's closed it's online store.  Plenty of room for everything and tall enough to accommodate long bread knives even in the 3rd row, with 6 wide slots in the top two rows.  2 cleaver,/Nikiri slots, too.

Takes up a little more counter space than I prefer, but tucks nicely  into a corner.  I'd wager you could find one, or one that better suits your needs on e-bay.

Enjoy those beauties.  

You've given me a severe case of "knife envy" ;-) And your CFO's definitely a keeper for giving you a gift like that. I love my knives, and I keep them honed to razor sharpness, and until now, I've always gravitated to the Henckels line; great quality, nice balance, and I've had to replace my 8" chef's knife twice, which they have gladly done, no issues. Great customer service. But recently, I've discovered Japanese knives, and I'm finding some pretty excellent products out there, if you're willing to pay out the bucks. I just bought a beautiful one specifically for slicing to paper thinness cold-smoked salmon that I'm making on my Big Joe... This baby is feather-light, weighted toward the hand and resembles a small katana (samurai sword) without the point! I may have to investigate the SG2 line; they're absolutely gorgeous, and I don't think too many knives could compete with that kind of cutting edge. Enjoy them in good health, my friend!

image.jpeg

17 hours ago, DerHusker said:

Thanks you  ck.

I would do that but our kitchen is very small. (Like boat galley small) We refer to it as a 1 butt kitchen. If there is more than 1 then there are too many cooks in the kitchen.

I literally do not have a wall were I could mount one.

I also have a small kitchen (mine is a bit larger at a butt and a half :) ) and do not have a wall where I could mount a magnetic bar.

I have a couple of these which I REALLY like - https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00286VJ3Q/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

One of them holds some really nice knives that only I am allowed to use. The other holds knives that anyone can use.

I also have one of these type of "blocks" in a kitchen drawer which contains my ceramic rod and a few other types of knives - https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B014QLR6X2/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

6 hours ago, landscaper said:

Those are beautiful knives!

You are really going to love using them. SG2 will hold an edge for a long time. 

Congrats! 

Thank you landscaper. That is my hope.

2 hours ago, El_Norteno60 said:

You've given me a severe case of "knife envy" ;-) And your CFO's definitely a keeper for giving you a gift like that. I love my knives, and I keep them honed to razor sharpness, and until now, I've always gravitated to the Henckels line; great quality, nice balance, and I've had to replace my 8" chef's knife twice, which they have gladly done, no issues. Great customer service. But recently, I've discovered Japanese knives, and I'm finding some pretty excellent products out there, if you're willing to pay out the bucks. I just bought a beautiful one specifically for slicing to paper thinness cold-smoked salmon that I'm making on my Big Joe... This baby is feather-light, weighted toward the hand and resembles a small katana (samurai sword) without the point! I may have to investigate the SG2 line; they're absolutely gorgeous, and I don't think too many knives could compete with that kind of cutting edge. Enjoy them in good health, my friend!

image.jpeg

Thank you El_Norteno. The SG2 high carbon stainless steel is one of the reasons I sprung for the Artisan series. Some of the others knives I was considering were SG2 but some were VG10 or a new one called FC61. I like the fact that the SG2 was harder so it should hold an edge well. 

Also these knives are made with Zwilling J.A. Henckels / Miyabi's special Cryodur ice-hardening process where the blade is heated and cooled, then frozen to -320 Fahrenheit and then reheated. This supposedly gives the blade improved corrosion resistance and flexibility while still being rated at a Rockwell hardness of 63. I've had a set of Ice Hardened Zwilling's for 25 years that have held up well so I'm a fan of this company. (Miyabi is owned by Zwilling J.A. Henckels)

That Global looks great. I did try a Global paring (or petty) knife while at Williams Sonoma and I didn't care for the feel that much. Knives are a very personal thing and what feels great to one person may not to another and there's nothing wrong with that.