Vision Professional S air leak solutions

doodie110

@CaptnCook Wow love what you did. I just got my Vision Pro S from Home Depot a couple days ago and immediately smoked 3 pork butts on it! I tried using a "pitmaster IQ 110" (e-mailed them in order to get the s series attachment with my order) to help maintain temps. It seemed to do okay, but varied too much for my comfort in a range of 220-300. Still learning on it. I was hoping for rock solid temp consistency. Although it could be my probes weren't nice enough. I'm upgrading to thermoworks signals in hopes for better readings.

Thankfully the butts still turned out great, special thanks to Malcolm Reed's YT Channel.

I noticed a lot of smoke coming out around the ash box when the pitmaster was activated especially. Maybe this is normal? Regardless, I'd love to try what you did with the insulation. 

Do you mind to share the link to your purchase of that specific insulation?

visionsmokin.jpg

butts.thumb.jpg.5363085f0b6a699ce4a4de26ac82ee0d.jpg

(accidentally had one butt sitting on top of the other [it was too fat to fit on the bottom rack!] ended up moving it and the bark recovered later in the cook)

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/1/2019 at 1:17 PM, matthewsgrill said:

@CaptnCook Wow love what you did. I just got my Vision Pro S from Home Depot a couple days ago and immediately smoked 3 pork butts on it! I tried using a "pitmaster IQ 110" (e-mailed them in order to get the s series attachment with my order) to help maintain temps. It seemed to do okay, but varied too much for my comfort in a range of 220-300. Still learning on it. I was hoping for rock solid temp consistency. Although it could be my probes weren't nice enough. I'm upgrading to thermoworks signals in hopes for better readings.

Thankfully the butts still turned out great, special thanks to Malcolm Reed's YT Channel.

I noticed a lot of smoke coming out around the ash box when the pitmaster was activated especially. Maybe this is normal? Regardless, I'd love to try what you did with the insulation. 

Do you mind to share the link to your purchase of that specific insulation?

visionsmokin.jpg

butts.thumb.jpg.5363085f0b6a699ce4a4de26ac82ee0d.jpg

(accidentally had one butt sitting on top of the other [it was too fat to fit on the bottom rack!] ended up moving it and the bark recovered later in the cook)

https://www.amazon.ca/Onlyfire-Gasket-Replacement-Adhesive-Smokers/dp/B06XR7PZC5

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/23/2019 at 4:55 PM, CaptnCook said:

I put felt around the ash tray and control knobs. 

Got it it from amazon for 20$~

cut it into thin strips and it curved to match the profile of the knobs.

Worked great !

was burning through all of my charcoal after trying to shutdown.

now it shuts down quickly.

85A65F54-1301-41EF-88B9-D549C12E2AF7.jpeg

44684726-8BAA-4B7F-BA63-F86DFA952FC9.jpeg

68E33FA6-8DBB-4EDA-89CC-5C5FB42CB09D.jpeg

5F76E986-3AF5-49FD-AD14-D207B5CDD8FE.jpeg

Good pics I never thought of sealing the air vents like that . Herman 

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/23/2019 at 8:55 PM, CaptnCook said:

I put felt around the ash tray and control knobs. 

Got it it from amazon for 20$~

cut it into thin strips and it curved to match the profile of the knobs.

Worked great !

was burning through all of my charcoal after trying to shutdown.

now it shuts down quickly.

85A65F54-1301-41EF-88B9-D549C12E2AF7.jpeg

44684726-8BAA-4B7F-BA63-F86DFA952FC9.jpeg

68E33FA6-8DBB-4EDA-89CC-5C5FB42CB09D.jpeg

5F76E986-3AF5-49FD-AD14-D207B5CDD8FE.jpeg

Nice fix CaptnCook, I just did this minus the knobs, thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

So I did the same thing with the felt around the ash tray and knobs. It brought the temp down in half the time when shutting it down!  Now it takes much longer  to get the grill up to 400 or higher. Any suggestions?

• 4 months later...

I did the same thing on my s series. Or really sealed it up. It wasn’t the ash door that was bowed but the steel pices that’s attached to the ceramic if the grill. But the tape did the trick. 

On 8/10/2019 at 4:59 PM, Bgddyp said:

So I did the same thing with the felt around the ash tray and knobs. It brought the temp down in half the time when shutting it down!  Now it takes much longer  to get the grill up to 400 or higher. Any suggestions?

Put this in the bottom. Better airflow. 
BBQ High Heat Stainless Steel Charcoal Fire Grate Fits for Kamado Joe Classic Fire Grate and Other Big Green Egg Grill Parts Charcoal Grate Replacemen https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FYF441P/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_jqmK1OXs56BRh

On 1/1/2020 at 10:56 AM, mori55 said:

Put this in the bottom. Better airflow. 
BBQ High Heat Stainless Steel Charcoal Fire Grate Fits for Kamado Joe Classic Fire Grate and Other Big Green Egg Grill Parts Charcoal Grate Replacemen https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FYF441P/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_jqmK1OXs56BRh

Do you use the electric starter? I do find it handy, but if you remove the stock grate and use what you have shared above how does that work with the starter shield?

59 minutes ago, CaptainMusky said:

Do you use the electric starter? I do find it handy, but if you remove the stock grate and use what you have shared above how does that work with the starter shield?

I pick the basket up slightly and shove the electric starter under it, which works ok. I have thought of modifying the basket to include the sheeth that come with the grill, but I haven't gotten that far. 

Does your faceplate look like it bends in near the knobs? Mine does (brand new) and I am curious if this is a warranty claim or by design...?

because my first thought was that could cause a lot of leaking air and I notice the bends seem to be in your picture  CaptNCook