Vision Professional S air leak solutions

On 7/23/2019 at 8:06 AM, Hey Loadie said:

Nice fix CaptnCook, I just did this minus the knobs, thank you.

Yeah, I did the same thing. I complained about the coal burning out and sent them a picture of my fix to no avail. I had left over gasket from a previous build so it wasn't a big deal.

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I put felt around the ash tray and control knobs.    Got it it from amazon for 20$~ cut it into thin strips and it curved to match the profile of the knobs.   Worked great !

@doodie110 - Home Depot has all kinds of trucks at their disposal.  Let them pick up the bad Vision.  Let Vision and Home Depot work tis deal out.  Let both know that you're not going to jump thru hoo

"We suggest you cooking on grill 5-6 times before attempting to smoke to get creosote build up and flavor in the grill. Once you have done so, then you can try smoking at low temperatures.  

Posted Images

• 1 month later...
On 6/13/2017 at 8:36 PM, bluayeddvl said:

@doodie110 , not to complicate things for you, but i did notice with my Vision S, that i was able to get an even better seal by;

- closing the lid

- loosening the acorn nuts on the shock cap (front-centre behind handle)

- loosening the acorn nuts on the spring shock itself

- letting them find their sweet spot, and tightening them snugly again.

- you may also want to play around with washers +/- on these same parts to get a really nice alignment too

I was having a really hard time getting a good seal on my S series until I followed your advice. Now I can control temperatures much more predictable and have done a low & slow moose roast that cooked for almost 4 hrs

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I recently got the Vision Pro and I'm having similar issues as the original post. I have great ideas on what to do about controlling the airflow from the bottom, so thanks everyone here. What I can't seem to find is anything about smoke pouring from the top even with the it completely closed. If there is too much air from the bottom, does closing the top fully still allow a lot of smoke to go through, or is something wrong with my unit's lid?

16 hours ago, danagin said:

I recently got the Vision Pro and I'm having similar issues as the original post. I have great ideas on what to do about controlling the airflow from the bottom, so thanks everyone here. What I can't seem to find is anything about smoke pouring from the top even with the it completely closed. If there is too much air from the bottom, does closing the top fully still allow a lot of smoke to go through, or is something wrong with my unit's lid?

the top vent will allow smoke to escape when closed until you’ve used it quite a bit and a good layer of creosote forms.  

On 2/18/2021 at 11:38 AM, Bgddyp said:

the top vent will allow smoke to escape when closed until you’ve used it quite a bit and a good layer of creosote forms.  

Good deal, thanks! If I get the lower air flow handled, am I going to have any issues with low and slow cooks until the top gets coated well?

No, controlling the air coming is the biggest factor on these for low and slow. At least in my experience. Maybe grill some hamburgers at high temp and get some good greasy smoke up there! I recommend grilling them in/on cast iron skillet, over the heat deflector.  Once I started cooking them in my skillet, my daughter told me they were the best burgers she’s ever had. 

On 2/19/2021 at 5:17 PM, Bgddyp said:

No, controlling the air coming is the biggest factor on these for low and slow. At least in my experience. Maybe grill some hamburgers at high temp and get some good greasy smoke up there! I recommend grilling them in/on cast iron skillet, over the heat deflector.  Once I started cooking them in my skillet, my daughter told me they were the best burgers she’s ever had. 

Good deal! Thanks! I got my gasket strip for the bottom today. Going to get that put on and see what happens this weekend. Burgers and hot dogs sound pretty good!

Never thought about using a skillet, but that sounds like a good idea. The way I accomplish keeping my burgers juicy is that I use ground chuck and I put shredded cheese in the burgers, not for flavor, but to keep them nice and juicy. Something like two light pinches per patty maybe(not sure, I usually do a pound at a time by sight, then make patties..)? The oils in the cheese are harder to cook out than the fat in the beef. If people want a plain burger, they can't tell it has cheese in it. Obviously if someone has a lactose issue or something I ask before hand.