3 minutes ago, Smokey1 said:

I just got my soapstone, very happy with the quality of it.  It is 16" x 3/4", from soapstoneproducts.com.  

I buy alot of KJ accessories, and they have all been great quality, but for this one I decided to go third party.  I wanted to be able to move it between different grills.

soapstone_resized.jpg

Tell me if you don't love it after you've used it a few times. I've thought about the handiness of a soapstone halfmoon, but for the price difference, not having to buy an additional pizza stone, etc., I'm sold. Enjoy, Smokey!

7 minutes ago, El_Norteno60 said:

Tell me if you don't love it after you've used it a few times. I've thought about the handiness of a soapstone halfmoon, but for the price difference, not having to buy an additional pizza stone, etc., I'm sold. Enjoy, Smokey!

That is what I was thinking too.  They are pretty expensive, but also very versatile from what I have heard.  I was hoping to make one quality purchase that could do many things.  

So is there an advantage to getting a certain thickness? I see 1 3/16 and 3/4. Obviously the thicker one will take longer to heat.

OK  on the site they say that the thicker one is more durable. Does this mean the thinner one is going to break?

Soapstone is pretty heavy; you may want to consider that in the equation, too. Mine is only 3/4" thick, and I am an average size guy with an average physique. It's not a strain to move the stone in and out of the house between cooks, but I personally wouldn't want anything bigger/heavier than what I've got. I assume that you are correct in that a thicker stone will need more time to heat up, but it will also likely retain the heat longer. Given that my BJ already takes four to five hours to cool down, I don't see any advantage to a stone that takes longer than that to be able to handle comfortably. Thicker may be more durable (I don't even know if that's the case or not), but there will be trade-offs, and I've had my stone at 550F with no discernible damage. Not sure I'd want to sear with soapstone, but more experienced kamado chefs may like to weigh in on that. That's the only time I could foresee needing to go higher than 550F.

39 minutes ago, Marty said:

So is there an advantage to getting a certain thickness? I see 1 3/16 and 3/4. Obviously the thicker one will take longer to heat.

OK  on the site they say that the thicker one is more durable. Does this mean the thinner one is going to break?

I don't know, cause I just got mine and haven't even used it yet, but mine is 16 pounds.  It is hefty.  1-3/16th is quite thick.  I can't imagine much that would break the 3/4 that wouldn't also break the 1-3/16ths.