On 6/13/2017 at 6:39 PM, Beerbelly said:

Another rookie question, what exactly is a soapstone and why are they so expensive? I know I'm asking a lot of price point questions and not trying to stir up any mess.  I just want people's opinions.  I started reading stuff about soapstone so naturally I looked online at buying one and half moon is over $100?  That's seems crazy, but I'm sure I will end up buying one anyway. LOL

Thanks for asking this, I had been wondering the same thing.  I have never heard of it before, and had no idea what to do with one.

Yes, you can buy remnants.  Sink cut outs are a good source if you can get your hands on them, but unless you cut and finish it yourself, don't expect it to be super cheap. There is labor and consumables cost to cutting a piece into a circle and finishing the edges. 

Yes, you can buy remnants.  Sink cut outs are a good source if you can get your hands on them, but unless you cut and finish it yourself, don't expect it to be super cheap. There is labor and consumables cost to cutting a piece into a circle and finishing the edges. 

Took make it cheap a rectangular piece would be fine. I have a diamond wheel in my angle grinder and another on my circular saw. I can make the cuts, and sand it down. I'm just trying to figure out if it's safe.

Whats the difference between the glazed and unglazed pizza stones?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

On 6/17/2017 at 10:02 AM, El_Norteno60 said:

I am as green as grass where kamado cooking is concerned; I just got my Big Joe two weeks ago today. I am therefore not going to post any "advice," but  I can give you an opinion from a fellow newbie.

When I was buying my BJ, I was a bit overwhelmed with the number of accessories on offer, including all the different cooking surface options. My gas bbq has a cast iron grill setup, and I have always loved that, but I'm not married to it, so the stainless steel grill that comes with the BJ seemed fine. But the idea of additional "switch-out" surfaces was pretty compelling, as I cook everything from steak to veggies to fish and other seafood on my grill. The sales guy told me that soaspstone is probably the best selling optional cooking surface (along with pizza stones), but the price for the half moon to fit the Big Joe was not insignificant. He advised me to buy a piece of circular soapstone that could be used as a pizza stone and cooking surface for seafood and such, and with the BJ's ample grate surface, I would still have outside room on the grill for other items  that I might want to do less indirectly:

image.jpeg

I paid C$90 for the stone (the KJ half moon sells for C$159), and I've used it so far for burgers and pizza with stellar results for both. It is super easy to keep clean, it cooks beautifully, and although it has already discoloured from the high heat of my pizzafest, that does not in any way affect its effectiveness as a cooking tool.

Again, I've only been doing this for two weeks, but for the money, this seemed like a no brainer, and so far, I would make the same decision, were I to do it all over again. I can see lots of soapstone cooking in my BJ's future.

What is the diameter of this soapstone I'm wondering if this will work for a Jr. 

1 hour ago, Tboans said:

I'm just trying to figure out if it's safe.

Its the same stuff out of the same ground.  As long as they have not applied any sealer yet (very unlikely) it is safe. 

Hey, Gunnergoose. My stone is a "no name" (i.e., not a Kamado Joe or other kamado maker's product) and 16" round x 3/4" thick. It's sitting on a Big Joe, which is 24" across, giving me 8" of non-soapstone grill space. The surface of the stone is super smooth, but it's not glazed or finished in any other way. I suspect that's why it discoloured with my very first cook, but again, that does not affect its effectiveness. Although I have used it for a number of things, by far the best results were as a pizza stone (duh!) and for a side of salmon. My wife and I both agreed that the salmon was absolutely the best we'd ever tasted, both in terms of flavour and consistency. I don't own a cast iron attachment, but I may eventually invest in one. In the meantime, I would not hestitate to recommend soapstone as a versatile option for anyone.

On 6/26/2017 at 6:47 PM, El_Norteno60 said:

Agreed; that looks fantastic... Can I come to dinner next time you whip up a batch of those?

Come on over......son and I are about to whip up a batch.

We are breaking in a new indoor grill.....a George Foremen that I bought for him to use.

On 6/26/2017 at 6:41 PM, Pop52 said:

Those burgers look mouth watering good. Now I'm starving!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you !!!!!

Soapstone is what Chuck Norris uses.

Or so I heard.

Remember.....Chuck Norris doesn't turn on lights......he turns off the darkness.......

When ghost go to sleep......they first look under the bed for Chuck Norris............

On 6/17/2017 at 8:02 AM, El_Norteno60 said:

I am as green as grass where kamado cooking is concerned; I just got my Big Joe two weeks ago today. I am therefore not going to post any "advice," but  I can give you an opinion from a fellow newbie.

When I was buying my BJ, I was a bit overwhelmed with the number of accessories on offer, including all the different cooking surface options. My gas bbq has a cast iron grill setup, and I have always loved that, but I'm not married to it, so the stainless steel grill that comes with the BJ seemed fine. But the idea of additional "switch-out" surfaces was pretty compelling, as I cook everything from steak to veggies to fish and other seafood on my grill. The sales guy told me that soaspstone is probably the best selling optional cooking surface (along with pizza stones), but the price for the half moon to fit the Big Joe was not insignificant. He advised me to buy a piece of circular soapstone that could be used as a pizza stone and cooking surface for seafood and such, and with the BJ's ample grate surface, I would still have outside room on the grill for other items  that I might want to do less indirectly:

image.jpeg

I paid C$90 for the stone (the KJ half moon sells for C$159), and I've used it so far for burgers and pizza with stellar results for both. It is super easy to keep clean, it cooks beautifully, and although it has already discoloured from the high heat of my pizzafest, that does not in any way affect its effectiveness as a cooking tool.

Again, I've only been doing this for two weeks, but for the money, this seemed like a no brainer, and so far, I would make the same decision, were I to do it all over again. I can see lots of soapstone cooking in my BJ's future.

Just wondering where you purchased the soapstone from?

Hey, hipfan. I bought it from my local Kamado Joe dealier as part of my initial purchase. He offered to give me a deal on any accessories I might want with my Big Joe, and I asked him what was most popular with kamado owners. He suggested that I buy a "no name" circular stone that he carries instead of the Kamado Joe half moon, as it would be less expensive and more versatile. Haven't looked back :-)

15 hours ago, El_Norteno60 said:

Hey, hipfan. I bought it from my local Kamado Joe dealier as part of my initial purchase. He offered to give me a deal on any accessories I might want with my Big Joe, and I asked him what was most popular with kamado owners. He suggested that I buy a "no name" circular stone that he carries instead of the Kamado Joe half moon, as it would be less expensive and more versatile. Haven't looked back :-)

I'm guessing Capital BBQ? This thread is really tempting me to get one!

I just got my soapstone, very happy with the quality of it.  It is 16" x 3/4", from soapstoneproducts.com.  

I buy alot of KJ accessories, and they have all been great quality, but for this one I decided to go third party.  I wanted to be able to move it between different grills.

soapstone_resized.jpg