• Announcements

• John Setzler

Site TOS/Guidelines Updated 5/2/2017   05/02/2017

Please take a moment to review these rules detailed below. If you agree with them and wish to proceed with the registration, simply click the "Register" button below. To cancel this registration, simply hit the 'back' button on your browser.   IF YOU ARE COMING HERE TO POST A COMPLAINT ABOUT YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GRILL COMPANY OR ANY VENDOR AND HAVE NOT ESTABLISHED YOURSELF AS A PARTICIPANT ON THIS SITE, WE SUGGEST THAT YOU REFRAIN FROM MAKING THE POST.  IF YOU HAVE MADE LESS THAN 25 POSTS TO THIS FORUM, YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE OR COMPANY COMPLAINT WILL LIKELY BE REMOVED FROM THE SITE AT THE DISCRETION OF THE MODERATORS AND ADMINISTRATOR.     THE IMPORTANT STUFF:   1. NO PROFANITY 2. NO PERSONALLY ABUSIVE BEHAVIOR 3. BE NICE.   Failure to adhere to these three basic rules can and will get you removed from this site.  You will get a verbal warning for a first offense.  After that you get suspended.  After that you get permanently suspended.  The decision of the administrator and moderators is final on any issues related to rules and behavior.   YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION: Personal information provided to the Kamado Guru website is NOT shared with any third party for any reason. EVER.    THE REST OF THE STUFF:

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

Our websites use cookies to distinguish you from other users of our website. This helps us to provide you with a personalised experience when you browse this site. For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them see our cookie policy (link at the footer of each page).
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
philpom

Spicy Sausage Soup

2 posts in this topic

This is a wonderful savory and satisfying soup.  This recipe will make 2 meal size servings or 4 side servings.

1 large green bell pepper

1 large red bell pepper

1 small onion

2 medium yellow squash

3/4 cup fresh small broccoli florets 

4 oz of cooked breakfast sausage (pre-cooked weight)

1 1/3 cups of milk

1 1/3 cups of water

2 beef bullion cubes

black pepper and cayenne pepper to taste

Slice and steam the squash, you want it mushy.  Slice the peppers and onions and saute in oil until tender but not over done.  Now combine everything in to a medium pan and slowly bring to a slow boil stirring often.  Reduce temp and simmer until the broccoli is tender.  Serve hot and top with grated hard cheese such as Parmesan.  Enjoy!

ckreef, TKOBBQ, Cgriller64 and 1 other like this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• By CentralTexBBQ
      Documenting my cook on the 4th: Beef Plate Ribs, 3 slabs of baby backs, 4 pounds of sausage

no plates or bbq sauce needed...
    • By philpom
      This spice blend would work equally well for pork or beef, I used beef of the 80/20 variety.  The more fat the better.

1.5 pounds of ground meat
      3 ts dried sage
      1 3/4 ts salt
      3 ts dried basil
      1 ts ground black pepper
      2 ts onion powder
      1/2 ts dried marjoram
      1 ts crushed red pepper
      1 1/2 ts fennel seed

Combine spices only in a small bowl and mix them.  This helps make sure you get even distribution in the meat.  Then put the meat in a bowl and spread 1/3 of the spices and mix with hands until incorporated, then another 3rd, mix and finally the rest of the spice blend.  Ball the meat, cover it tightly and place in the fridge for 24 hours to allow the flavors to develop.  Next day form the meat in to 2 oz balls and press to 3/8" thick.  Grill, pan fry or roast until done and enjoy!
    • By Keith OctoForks
      Hatch Chile Sausage Pocket Sammies for dinner. Knockin out the fat...George Foreman ain't got nothin  Used OctoForks "OctoSkewers" (coming soon) to spin  and served with pocket sammies with sauteed bells, onions and siracha mustard. Yum!

I was only cooking using 5  but you could do "quad" and multiple plus extended setups etc...and spin a boatload of skewers.  

• By Smokehowze
      Spicy Andouille Sausage

Have been out of my homemade Andouille sausage in the freezer for a while.  Not a good thing!  Had some time available, so my son and I made 16 lbs of the sausage. Our production rate is improving.  The new 15 lb capacity Norther Tool stuffer I got at Christmas really made a difference over my 5 lb Northern Tool stuffer.   Under three hours from a clean counter start to final clean-up to get the stuffed sausage in the fridge for its first aging for this batch including hauling equipment to/from the basement storage cabinets.  

The natural casing is 35-38 mm size.  I fridge aged the cased sausage on grid racks with air space (have to open up the pretty coils) uncovered for 30 hours and then covered for another 24 to mature the un-smoked flavor.   Then it was smoked for 7 hours in my home built electric smoker with a mix of pecan and hickory sawdust in the maze.  Brought it to 140 internal outside and then finished it out to 155 internal in a poaching bath. This produces a fully cooked ready to eat sausage which can be used as a snack or in cooking.   Ice water cooled and then bloomed with fans for an hour.  It will next age covered in the fridge for at least 24 hours to equalize the smoke and seasonings and then get vacuum packaged.

I used a division of the pork meat  in the grind. Roughly a 50/50 mix with a 1/2 inch and 1/4 inch grind instead of my usual 3/8 and 1/4 inch approach. Based on the resulting product, I  much prefer the 3/8 &1/4 as the seasoning distributes better in the final product and the overall texture is more balanced.  Andouille normally uses some meat in larger pieces (like 1/4 in cubes) but  I find the 3/8 grind substitutes nicely in place of hand cutting the cubes in a large batch. .  Hey, experimentation is what leads to optimization.

I calculated my pork butt and the pork fat addition to be at about 25-26 percent in this batch -assuming around 20% fat in the butt.  This was my usual spicy/hot batch recipe.

A Cut Away View of the Andouille 

Sausage Batter

My New 15 lb Capacity Stuffer Gets Its First Use

Ready for Fridge First Aging

Out the Smoker

Finish by Poaching to 155 degrees internal

Ice Bath Cooling to below 110 degrees internal

Blooming

Gotta Have A Sample

Ready for Final Fridge Aging and Then Packaging

• By Smokehowze
      Mardi Gras Soup

I call this one Mardi Gras Soup because the genesis was leftover corn and new potatoes cooked with the crawfish boil fixed for Mardi Gras this past week.    Unfortunately there were no leftover crawfish to peel and add to the soup – which would have been a great extra ingredient.

As I was making the soup, Mrs. Smokehowze passed by and asked what I was fixing.  At that moment looking at the red and green bell peppers and the corn in the pot my immediate reply was “Mardi Gras Soup” as I was reminded a lot of many of the Mardi Gras colors.  
      Oops! Can't forget a crawfish photo.  They were especially good even this early in the season as conditions for crawfish development in Louisiana have been excellent so far.

The basics in this simple yet tasty soup is red and green bell peppers, chopped green onions, chopped white onion, some of the garlic toes that were cooked in the boil water all sweated down in butter and a touch of olive oil then the addition of some flour to make a quick white roux.  Followed by 2% milk and a bit of half & half to get the stock underway - how much ? - use what seems right for the amount of ingredients.   Don't forget to add a good tablespoon or so of Better-Than-Bouillon chicken base for further flavor.

Having previously made some mashed potatoes from those cooked in the boil, some of that also went into the pot as additional thickener and part of the stock base.  Let the flavor develop for a while – stirring often and monitoring the heat -do not boil it.

In the meantime, cut the corn kernels off the corn cobs.  When the stock has well developed, add the corn and continue to let it build flavor and heat the corn completely.  Since it is already cooked you do not want to overcook which is why it is added near the end.  Some Louisiana hot sauce and a pinch of a Cajun seasoning is all that is left to add.

Adjust flavors further as desired.  Also stir in some fine chopped parsley at the end after removing from the heat.

Serve with some Ritz crackers as a Mardi Gras "doubloon" garnish.

That was some more else good eatin there, I guarantee.