Sign in to follow this  
eeichhorn

Joetisserie on the 19" Saffire

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By ndg_2000
      Hi

I have just got my rotisserie attachment sorted out for the kamado

As I have not cooked with a rotisserie before I was looking for tips/cooking temperature advice for a whole chicken as a starter so I can get a feel for it. 

Also some other cooks that a rotisserie is well suited for.

Thanks in advance 
      Nigel 
    • By wallawu
      I'm throwing my annual Daytona 500 party Sunday and I grabbed 5 racks of baby backs at $2.68/lb.  Boneless ribeye is on sale for $7.98/lb, so I'm planning on trying out the new rotisserie stand I got for Christmas over an easy cinder block pit I'm going to set up with a 7-8 lb rib roast.  Never rotisserie'd anything before, so this could be a disaster.  A few questions for each...

There will be a lot happening at once, so I'd like to get more done during the prep than during and after the cooks.  I'm wondering if cutting the ribs into sections--or even individually as this article suggests https://www.smoking-meat.com/august-13-2015-pre-slicing-ribs-before-smoking-them--has been a success for anyone.  My thoughts are smoke them for about 2 hours, put them all in an aluminum pan or two with some juice/sauce and rub covered for another 2, then take the top off the pans to finish them off for a bit.  After that I can just set the pans out and let people have at it.  This works beautifully with beef ribs, but I've never tried it with pork.  It sure would save me time and aluminum foil during the cook.  It will also keep anyone from grabbing too many and throwing meat away.

As far as the prime rib on the rotisserie,  I'm planning on lighting a good base of coals topped with hickory logs I have and letting that dwindle down to a hot heap of coals.  Should I offset the roast a little with a pan underneath with some water in it to use the juices?  If so, I may be able to use our fire pit.  I think this will be a 5+ hour process, so I'm sure I'll have to add coals.  Since it'll be boneless, do I need to tie it with string or wire, or will the forks suffice?  This is going to be an experiment for sure, so I'm glad I'll have the baby back-ups.  Any open flame rotisserie experts out there?  As always, thanks for the help!
    • By odamaK
      So, I got my Joetisserie and began to look for a replacement motor in case after a year my motor failed. The joetisserie motor is .model RM-A101, and conveniently enough Onlyfire has the exact same model number motor that looks identical. Here is the link on Amazon for Canada, same item would be for the USA. 

https://www.amazon.ca/Universal-Replacement-Stainless-Rotisserie-Aftermarket/dp/B00X7RKFWG/ref=asc_df_B00X7RKFWG/?tag=googlemobshop-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=293002225578&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1174210165666426299&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9000793&hvtargid=pla-502873780552&psc=1&th=1

I ordered by both, and the stainless is going back, it does not match for reasons below. 

Now this says it's rated for 20lbs and is 4 watts just like the Kamado Joe one except the kamado Joe says 50 lbs. which I find odd. 

Also the stainless steel one on Amazon is a RM-A201 and the bolt pattern does not .match the Kamado Joe plate if you have to swap plates. 

The description says it has anti backlash gears.

It's not stronger for those looking for more power but this will allow you to swap adaptor plates and have a backup motor in case your motor dies during a spin possibly and this will get you back up and ruunnig. It's cheap insurance.  

Can't upload photos from where I am but will try later. 

Oh the joetisserie cord is longer. 
    • By VinceH
      Had the Joetisserie for a few weeks, just had a chance to use it for the first time yesterday. I have had a Big Joe, BJ, new 2017 model, for about six months, and have run a fair bit of beef and pork through it. Preparing to spin a 6# chicken, following Joe Setzler's video on cooking a chicken on the Joetisserie. Took all the racks out. I tried as best as I could to fit the JT onto the Big Joe. I got it centered on the gasket, thin part toward the back, but the JT was smaller than the Big Joe. I was worried at the time because the JT is smaller than the Big Joe by almost 2 inches! I could barely get the JT on the gasket with an almost 1" gap showing on the gasket.

Big Joe: 27 3/4" 
      Jotisserie: 26"

Nonetheless I was committed to spinning the chicken -- family coming over and expecting a smoked chicken. :-) Piled up the lump towards the back, as Joe Setzler suggested. Lit the pile of lump, closed the lid after about 10 minutes or so. Had to close the top and bottom vents almost all the way to stabilize at 325. Dropped in four chunks of apple wood, Let the temp stabilize again, now at  340, probably because the wood was burning. Anyway, put the bird on the spit and the spit in the motor, and set it to spinning. The setup leaked pretty bad. Wood smoke coming out, mainly around the left side of the JT. But smoke was *really* pouring out of the opening where the motor-side of the spit goes into the JT. Temp shot up once to near 400, probably because of the wood still burning. Got the temp down to about 350. Bird was done at 90 minutes, wowed the crowd. 

But this smoke emerging from the gap worries me. The 2" difference in size is just too great. BTW. Didn't have look at the BJ until today. Temperature was still at 210.  

I can't escape the conclusion that the JT is just too small for the Big Joe. What now?