• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I recently got the Big Joe Joetisserie and have been cooking with it on the Big Joe a bit.  The classic Joetisserie is nice but the extra space you have with the Big Joe is the perfect setup for this.

here's a 17# on the Classic, it fit with ease so i'm thinking you should be able to fit a medium to large size ostrich on the Big Joe lol.    

@ButcherPete I have no options like that in my area.  I am going to go outside my local area to get the bird this year.  I'm not sure what or where yet but I will have a fresh bird and it will be a bi

Posted Images

On 6/14/2017 at 10:55 PM, Smokey1 said:

That looks fantastic, John.  Can you do 2 chickens at a time on the Big Joetisserie?  I have wondered, but I only ever see people doing one.

Two chickens no problem. Unfortunately, I do not have the before picture, here is the after still on the spit. These were not big birds (probably 3.5 - 4lbs) but there was a lot of extra room available.

IMG_20170512_204806.thumb.jpg.6fb6ad2fbc67032810c7acfb046881ac.jpg

So Newbie question: 

- is there a big difference between Rotisserie and Beer can chicken?  I know rot will get the skin a little crisper.  I really enjoyred deep frying my turkey -- but now than I have a Big Joe....I might try something else come November.   

For me...right now...the BIG PLUS with Beer can chicken is....some one has to drink the 5 lonely beers!   

"some one has to drink the 5 lonely beers "

That's why I bought the Joetisserie, I buy cases of 24 beers, that leaves 23 lonely ones.

Yes, there is a difference in my opinion but only you can decide if it is worth the extra and substantial investment.

I have also done beef roast, pork roast and ribs on mine, all came out awesome.   

On 6/20/2017 at 8:26 AM, Jackerman said:

Cool! Are there plans to sell the big Joetisserie at the roadshows?

When we got the big joe at Costco yesterday there were only classic joetisseries at $184. No Big joetisserires. :sad:

On 7/3/2017 at 3:09 PM, dianlonyc2 said:

So Newbie question: 

- is there a big difference between Rotisserie and Beer can chicken?  I know rot will get the skin a little crisper.  I really enjoyred deep frying my turkey -- but now than I have a Big Joe....I might try something else come November.   

For me...right now...the BIG PLUS with Beer can chicken is....some one has to drink the 5 lonely beers!   

I believe meathead at amazingribs.com did an article on Beercan chicken which concluded the beer itself does not infuse any additional flavor into the chicken, that being said, roasting a standing up chicken indirect can yield great results.

Another popular method is spatchcock or butterflying the chicken, creating a flatter surface foran even cook -- this method can be done direct or indirect. Some people say they cannot taste the difference between this and a spun bird, others say they can.

Does one need a Joetisserie? No, there are plenty of ways to make fantastic chicken and roasts. That being said, you will not find a person on this board who has a rotisserie say it is not worth it.

In one of my earlier replies I posted picture of two smaller birds post spin. Here is a shot of two 6.5lbs in action. They tasted as good as they lookIMG_20170703_180145.thumb.jpg.012ae57761ce3e581024c25f07983634.jpg

Spinning is not just a tool for chicken. Here is a bonus prime rib roast. Certainly different than a reverse sear and equally fantastic; a great way to change things up.

IMG-20170617-WA0000.thumb.jpg.53613898b9ce0db0a730723bc2e2ba4c.jpg

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, BURGER MEISTER said:

Wait.   I thought the idea of pushing the coals to the back and putting a drip pan directly under the bird on the bottom would eliminate grease dripping on the bottom of the kamado.  Not so?

You can do it however you like.  My interpretation of the question was obviously different than yours.  I don't use a drip pan on the bottom.  I use aluminum foil when I use the big joe on the front half of the firebox to minimize clean up.  On the classic I just let it drip since I don't use the firebox divider in that setup.  

I thought the question was mainly about using heat deflectors and possibly setting a drip pan on the heat deflector.  @martianpc wasn't more specific of what his intention was.  

But, in a nutshell, putting anything between the fire and the food on a rotisserie is defeating the purpose.  If you want to do that just roast rather than use the rotisserie.

This leads into a question I had:

I've found on a couple of rotisserie cooks that the grease dripping down creates quite a bit of smoke. Too much smoke. Not good tasting smoke.

There isn't enough airflow to start a fire so the thing billows gray smoke for hours, holding a dome temp of about 350 with nothing in there but the Joetisserie and the coals (banked to the back). I had considered a grease pan but like John said, that kind of partially defeats the purpose of the rotisserie cooking. On the other hand, it's just creating too strong of a flavor. Solutions? Thoughts?

• 1 month later...
On 11/27/2017 at 10:29 AM, Logan said:

This leads into a question I had:

I've found on a couple of rotisserie cooks that the grease dripping down creates quite a bit of smoke. Too much smoke. Not good tasting smoke.

There isn't enough airflow to start a fire so the thing billows gray smoke for hours, holding a dome temp of about 350 with nothing in there but the Joetisserie and the coals (banked to the back). I had considered a grease pan but like John said, that kind of partially defeats the purpose of the rotisserie cooking. On the other hand, it's just creating too strong of a flavor. Solutions? Thoughts?

Hi Logan,

My thoughts exactly.

I just got my Joetisserie for Christmas and haven't tried it out yet. However, I have cooked chicken before on the Kamado and if any of that grease starts dripping and smoking it gives an awful taste. To the point I can't even eat it.

I got around this by starting the cook off on a gasser high heat and crisping up the skin. Then moving over to the Kamado at low heat to finish the cook and add some good smoke. 

Very worried about the Joetisserie with the grease dripping down and burning and making the chicken taste bad. However, since I have not had experience with the rotisserie yet I can't comment. But my instincts are this:

1. If Coal is pushed to the back of the smoker and no drip pan, your going to have one nasty greasy mess on the bottom of your cooker.

2. If you let the grease drip into the coals your going to have a very smoky bird that will be infused with burnt grease smoke

3. Possible solution: Add a drip pan on the bottom with a little water, push the coal to the back and allow the grease to drip into the pan with water..

If anyone else has experience with these cooks that can offer suggestions I welcome the feedback. 

• 5 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 2:25 PM, John Setzler said:

You can do it however you like.  My interpretation of the question was obviously different than yours.  I don't use a drip pan on the bottom.  I use aluminum foil when I use the big joe on the front half of the firebox to minimize clean up.  On the classic I just let it drip since I don't use the firebox divider in that setup.  

I thought the question was mainly about using heat deflectors and possibly setting a drip pan on the heat deflector.  @martianpc wasn't more specific of what his intention was.  

But, in a nutshell, putting anything between the fire and the food on a rotisserie is defeating the purpose.  If you want to do that just roast rather than use the rotisserie.

So John let me get this straight, when using the joetisserie with the big joe you use the firebox divider and put the charcoal on the back side of the grill with the divider running from left to right then cover the front half of it with aluminum foil.  Is that correct?  I would love to see a photo of your setup when using it this way.