dws780

Costco Pit Boss

1 minute ago, Chasdev said:

The 2017 has black side tables but they are in strips, not solid.

Also the 17 has a spark shield slider (bunch of holes drilled in it) along with the solid slider on the air intake AND it comes with a diffuser.

Thanks Chasdev.  That's what I was looking at then.  I'm considering purchasing it if it's still there when I can make it back to the store.  It's just me and my wife so I need to figure out how to unload it from the bed of the truck and get it to the patio at back of the house.  I have a small "dolly" but nor sure if I wanna risk it with that. :|

The one you buy will be in a very large and VERY heavy box, not the floor model.

And sorry to say, there is no way the two of you can move that box so draft two more strong helpers or hire some guys to do it for you or at least help you.

Remember too that the box is hurdle #1, hurdle #2 is placing the egg itself in it's cradle, the only way I got it done (and by the skin of my teeth) was to tilt the cradle and lean the egg into it and then tilt the combo upright.

FWIW, I would NOT attempt to do it that way again if presented the chance,

Think about picking up those lifting strap rigs that wrap around your shoulders, they improve leverage a bunch and are favored by folks who move fridges and appliances..

Just be ready for a HEAVY lift.

17 hours ago, m-fine said:

I went with a small child to help and had no trouble.  Costco employees will help you load it into your truck or trailer.  The hard part doesn't start until you get home.

BTW, that picture above looks exactly like the one I took and posted in another thread on Monday.   

I copied and pasted it. :)

If you have a pick up truck another option would be to remove everything from the crate while still in the truck bed. Put the handles on the Kamado while in the bed still. I was able to lift mine on my own but I wouldn't recommend that.

Probably easier to recruit help to have someone lift from the truck bed to the rolling stand. 

I was able to lift it into the nest with one other adult male. It was a lot of weight but a short quick liff so manageable. Unless you are large and well above average strength, I wouldn't try that alone. 

Moving the box was much worse. I ended up using an electric winch and some 2x4's to pull it up the stairs on to my deck. 

Take off the lid before trying to lift it. WAY easier to move that way and it's only 6 bolts. My wife and I got it from ground to wheelbarrow to nest all fairly easily. I was able to lift the lid solo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, muidaq said:

Take off the lid before trying to lift it. WAY easier to move that way and it's only 6 bolts. My wife and I got it from ground to wheelbarrow to nest all fairly easily. I was able to lift the lid solo.

That's a good idea. We'll move it from tailgate to wheelbarrow to the nest. I can handle the lid. 

3 hours ago, dws780 said:

Looks like the item is no longer listed on Costco.com

I noticed that earlier. Guess what's left is on the floor. The online price didn't reflect the real price the store offers. 

Costo has some "tells" when it comes to products going on sale or going off the stock list..one of them is that items get moved to the outside perimeter of the store along the outer wall before the go on sale and  go out of stock for good.

Yesterday at the South Austin Costco, the PitBoss Kamado was in that spot instead of parked in the middle of the store with the other BBQ cookers.

Bought my Costco Pit Boss 2 weeks ago, went back and got the $100 rebate yesterday. The box weighs 300lb, requires at least 2 to load and upload, assembly was no problem. The location of the firebox expansion seam is strange, it faces the lower vent door. I would have expected firebox expansion seam to be located opposite of the vent door, that is where the incoming air flows and firebox gets the hottest. Any thoughts? 

IMG_20170615_162718.jpg

I installed mine with the firebox opening driectly in line with the vent opening, but only so I can drag out ash.

My thinking on where it gets hottest is that the heat spreads from wherever you light the coals and after the burn is established the temps will equalize so the slit position makes no difference.