dws780

Costco Pit Boss

The firebowl will crack wherever it needs to to relieve pressure and then it should be fine after that. Just be careful not to soil your underwear when you hear the bang from inside your grill. 

I bought one today! I've been reading about some tweaks that might be necessary such as the gasket maybe not being quite right and the bottom vent needing an adjustment. I won't be able to open my new toy for a week or more. It's occupying my side of the garage at the moment so I have incentive to put it together but I'm working 80 hours this week. I look forward to learning from you.

yesterday am my costco had 4 now they have one, I wouldn't gamble and wait on the 399 price.

I unloaded mine by myself - It was right on the bubble of what I could handle...... 

assembled and cured last night... steaks and crab meat stuffed portobellos tonight!

On 6/18/2017 at 1:51 AM, Eeyore said:

I bought one today! I've been reading about some tweaks that might be necessary such as the gasket maybe not being quite right and the bottom vent needing an adjustment. I won't be able to open my new toy for a week or more. It's occupying my side of the garage at the moment so I have incentive to put it together but I'm working 80 hours this week. I look forward to learning from you.

I added high temp replacement nomex felt around the base of the chimney which helped a lot. Only $2.50 - $3.00 with shipping. 

https://smokeware.com/products/high-temp-chimney-felt-17-inches

I tried adding some around the bottom intake vent but wasn't able to open/close it anymore. Don;t even know if it is necessary really... Haven't noticed an issue snuffing out the fire when done. Did a 4 hour cook with KJ big block lump yesterday and it looks like I barely used any of it. That stuff is great. But I guess if I can improve this I might as well try...lol

On 6/18/2017 at 3:51 AM, Eeyore said:

Some of the earlier models (not 2017) were delivered without the spark grate installed in the lower vent, they only had a solid slider and it fit very loose because the second spark grate slider was not there to take up the slack.

Those versions needed extra felt to make it seal.

The 2017 comes with two sliders and they don't leak enough to need to be sealed.

Thank you both for the info. I haven't had time to open the box. Right now it's occupying my side of the garage. I hope that it's in great shape.

I bet you have leaks just dont realize it. I have looked at many and they all exhibited the same traits. Not just the same one at the same costco but several different ones in the area including the one i purchased. The top gasket needs a second layer and there is air that can leak in the bottom with both vent doors closed its just how they are put together. Get a helper with a nice bright led flashlight and after dark you can easily see what i am describing. Overall is a good grill, with some tweaks and fixes its a great one. 

I am sure there are some leaks through my lower inlet...probably could take a hammer and  tighten it down some...maybe I will in the future...

Top vent I already added a second layer around the base.

Haven't noticed any leaks from between the base and top when closed but thought about adding a second layer to the top portion...doesn't cost much and is simple to do...

4 hours ago, robertyb said:

If it will hold temps well and shuts down well who cares if it leaks a little?  :roll:

I agree. I have a tube of food safe, high temp silicone, and a roll of the high temp gasket but I'm not going to mess with anything if I don't have to. I haven't had a problem with mine so far and everything was exactly as I expected out of the box. 

The top gasket needs a second layer and there is air that can leak in the bottom with both vent doors closed its just how they are put together. Get a helper with a nice bright led flashlight and after dark you can easily see what i am describing. Overall is a good grill, with some tweaks and fixes its a great one. 

I can vouch for the top vent leak. I just bought a 24" today from Costco. The top vent assembly does not fit snug at all with the single layer of felt on the chimney.

As far as getting it off the back of the truck, I took all the hardware out of the box then opened the lid and removed the grates and firebox. I did not remove the lid because I couldn't get the screws that cover the hinge springs loose. I did not want to unbolt the hinge with the springs still under tension and have it snap the ceramic. The other issue is getting it perfectly aligned again under tension. So what I did was open the lower vent and stuck one hand in there and the other on the hinge assembly and just lifted it out of the truck (I had to walk up four steps too on my porch)....so it can be done.

1883b1bb4455a5baf36b73dc923e55df.jpg

Just an update:

Customer service is sending me some extra felt to wrap around the chimney to prevent the leak up top.  As far as the bottom vent, even with the extra spark plate it does allow air in.  You can test this by starting up the grill and getting some good smoke going. Close the top and bottom vent and allow the smoke to build up.  Open the lid and then close it.  You will see smoke escape from the bottom of the vent assembly.  You will note that the top of the lower vent has silicon over it, but the bottom part does not. This is where air is allowed in and contributes to the grill burning longer than it should when you try and shut it down.  You will also note that smoke will escape from the left and right sides of the plates when they are fully shut.  I believe that an application of felt on both ends of the plates and running some silicon or gasket maker on the bottom of the assembly should correct the issue.

The proper way to test for a leak is to add smoke wood and close off the vents and look for smoke. Not open and close the lid which causes a pressure buildup to force smoke out. As long as your grill shuts down OK you need not worry about a small amount of smoke leaking any way.