Costco Pit Boss

1 hour ago, robertyb said:

The proper way to test for a leak is to add smoke wood and close off the vents and look for smoke. Not open and close the lid which causes a pressure buildup to force smoke out. As long as your grill shuts down OK you need not worry about a small amount of smoke leaking any way.

I'm with you, but it still shows where the gaps are, probably quicker than waiting for the smoke to make it's way down to the lower vent due to heat/smoke rising.

1 hour ago, Chasdev said:

My 2017 shuts down just fine after I sealed the top.

I'm hoping the felt on the upper vent fixes my issue too, but I'm still going to run a bead of silicon underneath my lower vent.  For some reason it only came with the top part siliconed. I look at it this way, if smoke can escape through the bottom part of the vent (using my pressure method), then for sure a burning piece of coal can suck air through it as well and stay burning longer.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Last year around this time there was a $200 manufacturers rebate which brought the in-store price from $599 to $399.  This year the rebate is only $100.  I wouldn't be surprised if that is the final m

Welcome, please stop by and introduce yourself.  Ben

The one you buy will be in a very large and VERY heavy box, not the floor model. And sorry to say, there is no way the two of you can move that box so draft two more strong helpers or hire some g

Posted Images

1 hour ago, jadocs said:

I'm hoping the felt on the upper vent fixes my issue too, but I'm still going to run a bead of silicon underneath my lower vent.  For some reason it only came with the top part siliconed. I look at it this way, if smoke can escape through the bottom part of the vent (using my pressure method), then for sure a burning piece of coal can suck air through it as well and stay burning longer.

I pulled the bottom vent on mine and put a perimeter of felt around its backing, then refastened it and finished with a very thin perimeter of silicone around it.  It only took maybe 30 minutes to do and I had extra felt after sealing the top vent.   I also put a layer of felt in between the two sliding shutters of the bottom vent so now admittedly it is hard to open/close that vent now but I'm hoping it will loosen up with some age & usage otherwise it will eventually become annoying enough for me to pull it all apart again!

I pulled the bottom vent on mine and put a perimeter of felt around its backing, then refastened it and finished with a very thin perimeter of silicone around it.  It only took maybe 30 minutes to do and I had extra felt after sealing the top vent.   I also put a layer of felt in between the two sliding shutters of the bottom vent so now admittedly it is hard to open/close that vent now but I'm hoping it will loosen up with some age & usage otherwise it will eventually become annoying enough for me to pull it all apart again!

Yeah I did mine as soon as I got in from work. Found some black permatex gasket maker in my shed. The gap underneath was larger than I thought. Anyway she's all sealed up now.

6850d9eb719c5d0e075b31e7bf08672d.jpg

I can already tell that the bead I ran is making a difference. I grilled some brats for dinner and shut it down...just lifted the lid and it doesn't look like the coals are still burning. Before there would still be areas where the coals were still red.

I got my tracking info from Danson today so my felt will arrive on Friday. I noticed that they are also sending me some RTV red silicon as well?

1 hour ago, jadocs said:

Yeah I did mine as soon as I got in from work. Found some black permatex gasket maker in my shed. The gap underneath was larger than I thought. Anyway she's all sealed up now.

6850d9eb719c5d0e075b31e7bf08672d.jpg

I can already tell that the bead I ran is making a difference. I grilled some brats for dinner and shut it down...just lifted the lid and it doesn't look like the coals are still burning. Before there would still be areas where the coals were still red.

I got my tracking info from Danson today so my felt will arrive on Friday. I noticed that they are also sending me some RTV red silicon as well?

I ordered gasket & sealant for myself off of amazon but that is great if they are sending you some silicone.  It seems most grills end up needing a little added sealing so I didn't even try reaching out to their customer service.

15 hours ago, mrzippy said:

I ordered gasket & sealant for myself off of amazon but that is great if they are sending you some silicone.  It seems most grills end up needing a little added sealing so I didn't even try reaching out to their customer service.

I'm looking forward to sealing up the chimney vent. 

I don't think so as the 2017's come with two sliders and they fit together fairly well, I think the leaks discussed were where the slider body fits against the ceramic cooker body, the factory missed some spots when they applied sealer and more added there seals it up.

Edited by Chasdev