Charcoal Addict

Switching Bases: A Big Joe Story

13 minutes ago, Charcoal Addict said:

Does anyone have the specs on the band stainless band bolts so I can see if it's possible to find something similar locally?

Can't you take your current bolts to the local home center and match thread/diameter? Both local Home Depot and lowes have nuts and bolts mounted to the wall so you can test your unknown fasteners.  

15 minutes ago, Mewantkj said:

Can't you take your current bolts to the local home center and match thread/diameter? Both local Home Depot and lowes have nuts and bolts mounted to the wall so you can test your unknown fasteners.  

I tried using HD bolts already.  They only have crappy Zinc Chrome coated bolts in the the 3/4 inch size.  They're lousy bolts.

I'd probably have to go to a Nut and bolt store to find the right quality of bolt.

Metric bolts are not easy to come by.

I just used what I believe is 3/8" bolts from the Do-It center hardware store. I tried uploading a photo but it is not letting me for some reason.....

I spoke with KJ support this morning.  This was the outcome of the call.

1.They're sending 4 1/2 inch bolts 

2. The Hinge has to be on the bands when installing the bands back on the Big Joe's.  You can't install the hinge afterwards or the bolts won't Align correctly 

Hopefully the longer bolts will give me enough maneuverability to get the bands on more easily with the bolt in place loosely.  Tying to hold the hinge in place with one hand insn't any fun. 

Caution for people using 3rd party bolts.  The KJ bolts are specially design to bend and not strip.  You should never be using cheap substitutes for the OEM bolts.  Cheap bolts will strip or can break under stress. 

16 hours ago, Charcoal Addict said:

I tried using HD bolts already.  They only have crappy Zinc Chrome coated bolts in the the 3/4 inch size.  They're lousy bolts.

I'd probably have to go to a Nut and bolt store to find the right quality of bolt.

Metric bolts are not easy to come by.

I would at least try an auto parts store. You want bolts with info on the top of the bolt. It will tell you the rating for that bolt. Typical hardware bolts are not hardened and rated.

8 hours ago, Marty said:

I would at least try an auto parts store. You want bolts with info on the top of the bolt. It will tell you the rating for that bolt. Typical hardware bolts are not hardened and rated.

KJ was kind enough to send me the 4 1/2 inch OEM bolts.  I prefer their design with the Allen Key Combo that make it easier to tighten the bolt. 

On 19/06/2017 at 7:41 PM, pmsinger said:

Just went through something similar. The new bands on the new hinge came with bolts about 2 3/4"  whereas the old bolts were about 4". The old bolts were not long enough for the new bands. Solution was to attach new hinge to old bands.

My hinge gave out three weeks so back, reached the point where when tightened sufficiently to hold the dome up they were under too much compression to easily close the grill. I made a warranty claim but the parts are on back order. Thankfully a local dealer has helped me out but despite the bolts being the same length as my current set up there was no way to locate the band-pin under the hinge simultaneously with the band-pin under the handle, and the ends of the bands were too far apart. The issue seemed to be the the radius of the band between the hinge fitments was too tight.

I ended up taking the bands off the old hinge and fitting them to the new hinge and from there it was easy to re-fit.

If i were starting over i think i'd pull the hinge from the bands and then pre-stretch the new bands to the Joe for an hour so so, then remove the bands and re-fit them to the hinge before re-fitting the the Joe. I might also take an angle grinder to the pins, as they seem a waste of time.

It appears the hinge has to go on with the the bands.  The bands need to flex inorder for the hinge to bolt into the bands.

I'll have to follow-up with KJ Support on the following 

- Longer Bolts.  The bolts in John's video are much longer than mine.  My 2012 and 2013 Big Joe's have band bolts that are too short for the wider base. 
- Possibly replacing the hinges if necessary 
- Will the unit align properly with the base being a 1/4 wider in diameter than the domes?  Do the domes have to be replaced to correctly match the width of the base for the Joe's to assemble correctly. 

You are probably going to end up with a 1/4" under bite.

1 hour ago, RhinoGuy said:

You are probably going to end up with a 1/4" under bite.

Well see what happens.  4 1/4 inch OEM bolts are on their way to Edmonton from the KJ headquarters.  They'll arrive on the 30th.

The biggest worry for me will be fitting the Big Joetisserie. I'm hoping the 1/4 inch offset doesn't screw up the fit for the Joetisserie wedge.

10 hours ago, Hotblack Desiato said:

My hinge gave out three weeks so back, reached the point where when tightened sufficiently to hold the dome up they were under too much compression to easily close the grill. I made a warranty claim but the parts are on back order. Thankfully a local dealer has helped me out but despite the bolts being the same length as my current set up there was no way to locate the band-pin under the hinge simultaneously with the band-pin under the handle, and the ends of the bands were too far apart. The issue seemed to be the the radius of the band between the hinge fitments was too tight.

I ended up taking the bands off the old hinge and fitting them to the new hinge and from there it was easy to re-fit.

If i were starting over i think i'd pull the hinge from the bands and then pre-stretch the new bands to the Joe for an hour so so, then remove the bands and re-fit them to the hinge before re-fitting the the Joe. I might also take an angle grinder to the pins, as they seem a waste of time.

Grinding off the pins is a bad idea.  The pins are there for a reason.  They line up the dome and the base, the pins also prevent bands from shifting. The pins are important, otherwise they wouldn't be there. 

On 6/19/2017 at 5:29 PM, CeramicChef said:

@Marty - before I address your post above, let me say that I'm a fan of the KJ product line.  I've recommended various KJs to over a dozen friends who have gone on to purchase a KJ kamado.  I've cooked on them and I like the KJs I've cooked on.

Marty, your defense is admirable, but there isn't a single fact to back up any of your assertions.  The fact is nobody here knows what kind of failure rate has been designed into the KJ and how the actual rate of failure compares to what KJ considers acceptable.  You defense is without any kind of solid base.  What you have published here is merely opinion.  You sound as if you should be writing marketing copy for KJ.  

You bring up innovation.  I don't know of too many companies that don't rigorously test innovations before those innovations are introduced as an extension of the product line.  KJ has a history of doing the Fire, Ready, Aim new product rollout.  That is a simple fact.  Remember the Joetisserie fiasco?  And now it seems to rear its ugly head once again.  

Look, there is absolutely not one soul here who is in the complete know about the KJ strategic plan.  These failures may be acceptable; they may be not.  Nobody here knows the economics of defective product replacement via customer service.  There is no denying KJ is a very good company with a very good reputation, but there may be flaws endemic to various parts of their manufacturing and distribution that need real work.

I will still continue to recommend KJ every opportunity my friends give me ... right after I recommend they first consider Komodo Kamado.  They don't have cracked domes, bases, fireboxes, etc.

CC I do agree that none of what I said is fact. Only the company it self is can know what their rate of honoring warranty claims is. It is doubtful if one company has that info on another company let alone me. Hey possibly the company its self does not even know the whole picture.

I have yet to see any one who has not had their claim honored by KJ.

As far as this site: 

Kamado Joe has 34,114 posts and 91 set for auto-notify.

Chargriller has 31,665 posts and 113 set up to be notified.

Vision with13,281 posts and 60 auto-notify.

BGE has 2,699 posts and 15 auto-notify.

It is far less likely that we would be seeing BGE crack posts on here VS the BGE site.

Again I agree that one can not go to a fact sheet and say well YES---

I think it is accurate to say say that KJ is the most innovative Kamado company out there with a long list of firsts. I still say this is expensive and why BGE has not innovated and will void the warranty if people use other products in the BGE.

I agree that an argument can be made that Komodo Kamado is the most innovative because it has no cracks and is so well made. Its cost does remove it from the consideration of most people.

I still stand by my point about changing product specifications.

Bobby said that the hinge design cost them a million dollars. Adopting the hinge cost them more to re-design the the Joetisseri and set its launch backward.

Then there is the prototype test runs and finally bringing the product into production and fine tuning things.

Someone once said that it is the underlying assumptions are where one makes mistakes and the problem is that we do not know which one to question. Thinking the instructions are clear. Believing the procedure will be followed and so on. Believing a method will work and so on. What to pinpoint to look at. Mistakes will be made when ever something new is made even if it is with a 3,000 year old base design.

Then there is the discount of the old product. No one is going to pay the same for the old product as the new with real improvements. This is real money that is lost. A bit like a stock loss.

Clearly you do not think that KJ makes bad Kamados, or may fail as a company, or stop honoring their warranties. If you did then you would not recommend them.

Slow to get the new product out yes absolutely at times. Poor design so far IMO no way. If you think about it. Remember how long it took to get the the new models with the D&C in the stores to buy.

No one wanted the old style. Then there was the labor dispute in the harbor. The delays that you speak of were created by innovation that created a demand that was waiting to be filled.

I agree with you that the implementation of new products can be better and I would assume that they are learning and getting better daily.

I believe that when some thing fails or is poorly designed that it should be posted. I do not think that this should discourage people from buying as long as the company stands behind their products and makes good stuff.