Charcoal Addict

Switching Bases: A Big Joe Story

On 25/06/2017 at 5:17 AM, Charcoal Addict said:

Grinding off the pins is a bad idea.  The pins are there for a reason.  They line up the dome and the base, the pins also prevent bands from shifting. The pins are important, otherwise they wouldn't be there. 

I hope they are there for a reason. I'm just not sure i understand what it is! The dome and base are circular and would "line up" just fine with or without pins. Once the bands are tight i doubt the pins do anything to prevent them moving, The pins likely add a little extra security if the bands get loose but it's limited.  My KJBJ arrived with a chunk of ceramic missing from under the hinge where the dealer had opened the lid without tightening the bands correctly, the pin simply broke the rebate in which it was located.

Anyway each to their own, i know locating the pins simultaneosly on the new bands was a major part of the problem i was having.

Both Big Joe's are back together but with a couple of issues that I'll have to resolve with KJ support. 

There's 3/8 inch overbite on the Black Big Joe and a 1/4 inch overbite on the Red Joe.  I'll have to ask KJ support for bigger domes.

I also was forced to cut off the alignment pins on the lower bands of both Big Joe's.   I had no choice but to cut the pins, the bands are actually too short.

Essentially they're Frankensteined together for now.  Good enough for me to use them.  

Alas there's a couple of issues to address with KJ support on the 5th. 

IMG_0623.JPG

IMG_0624.JPG

IMG_0625.JPG

IMG_0632.JPG

IMG_0630.JPG

IMG_0634.JPG

I went through the exact same thing that you are.

I'm not sure why KJ has such a hard time matching the tops to the bases when they replace them. It shouldn't be that hard to measure the ID and OD of the replacement part to make sure that its going to work.

They will probably end up sending you a replacement grill that is already assembled. If they do, you may want to let them know the OD measurements of your top vent hole so that they can try to match it. They don't send a replacement daisy wheel and it's possible for it to be too loose or too tight.

On 6/19/2017 at 3:27 PM, Mp_tx said:

I don't fault them for fixing the issues, but it seems KJ specifically has a lot more issues than other brands. Cracked fire bowls (old style), cracked bases, non fitting accessories (big joetisserre). It seems KJ is always being discussed in regards to warranty work. Which could help explain the large price increase for the 2017 models--owners are paying for what appears to be an abnormally high warranty rate. KJ is not absorbing these warranty repairs.

I don't see near the warranty issues with other brands--Vision, BGE, Primo, Pit Boss--other than easy fix items, like gasket.

Over the years I have ran into this with car parts. It is quite common to have two brands of brakes sold on the same model. I got to the point where I would bring in the part and match it.

If things are being tweaked, upgraded, or the sourcing changes then you end up with different units that require their own unique parts. The more often this happens then the more parts that will need to be stocked and matched.

I stepped in this once before. Let me just say it this way. Public knowledge of part failure is dependent on a place to post about it. This source would be from a public collection of posts.

I have read complaints about some company forums pulling posts about failure or critical observations.

In truth only the branded company really knows their failure rate, how many production runs there were, in how many factories, and if things were made to a master form to keep things interchangeable. In this case we know there are at least two sizes.

On 6/19/2017 at 6:04 PM, Charcoal Addict said:

KJ needs two versions of the Joetisserie.  One with a narrower wedge in the back for older models and one with the current dimensions.  

The older Big Joe's are 1/8 an inch away from the Jotisserie wedge not fitting one way or another.  Adding the extra 2 mm in the redesign created the problem of the Jotisserie not fitting some older Joe's.

I sure do want one for my Big Joe. IMO the angle should have been adjustable by having one half slide inside of the other and lock with screws.

8 minutes ago, Marty said:

Over the years I have ran into this with car parts. It is quite common to have two brands of brakes sold on the same model. I got to the point where I would bring in the part and match it.

If things are being tweaked, upgraded, or the sourcing changes then you end up with different units that require their own unique parts. The more often this happens then the more parts that will need to be stocked and matched.

I stepped in this once before. Let me just say it this way. Public knowledge of part failure is dependent on a place to post about it. This source would be from a public collection of posts.

I have read complaints about some company forums pulling posts about failure or critical observations.

In truth only the branded company really knows their failure rate, how many production runs there were, in how many factories, and if things were made to a master form to keep things interchangeable. In this case we know there are at least two sizes.

The problem was caused by a change in thickness of the Ceramic.  The 2012-2014 models used 1 1/4 inch thick Ceramic.  The 2015 models and onward have 1 1/2 inch Ceramic.  The newer Big Joe models are 1/4 thicker. 

I spoke with KJ on Friday.  The solution will be to send matching domes and new longer bands. 

2 minutes ago, Charcoal Addict said:

The problem was caused by a change in thickness of the Ceramic.  The 2012-2014 models used 1 1/4 inch thick Ceramic.  The 2015 models and onward have 1 1/2 inch Ceramic.  The newer Big Joe models are 1/4 thicker. 

I spoke with KJ on Friday.  The solution will be to send matching domes and new longer bands. 

This may correspond to the move to the second factory that i was told about. Or they just changed the specs. My unit is pre D&C so would be 2012 to 2014.

All I know is that the Big Joetisseri will not fit mine. I saw no way to modify the one that i had and it was way off by two inches. Otherwise i would have kept it.

I am glad that you can use yours for now. Please keep up updated. I have faith in KJ.

I have been following this thread for some time now, as I have been waiting on yet another replacement base to my original cracked base.  I wanted to post my experience here to see if anyone has had a similar experience or useful advice.

Right after I got my Big Joe at the beginning of 2016, I found a hairline crack on the bottom. That crack has since spread and widened, and therefore, it was time for a replacement.  Kamado Joe (as usual) was prompt to respond and send a replacement base.  However, the base was nearly an inch shorter in diameter than my original...so I decided to contact them about it.

Now comes the second replacement base today, and it is even smaller...actually a full inch shorter in diameter than my original base.  I had previously supplied exact measurements for them to reference, and it is evident no one took the time to measure the replacement.  Considering I wrestled now 2 replacement bases up my porch stairs in the GA heat that have turned out too small, I am pretty frustrated, especially to find out that some are having band issues even when they do get matching replacement bases.

I am a current owner of a 2016 and a 2017 Big Joe as well as 2 Joe Jr's, so you can say I'm a Kamado Joe fan with 4 grills.  I'm not ready to knock them, but what sort of support should I expect to help me with getting a matching base and even helping me swap them out to ensure a proper fit?  KJ HQ is actually nearby, so that may be helpful.  I certainly don't want to be unreasonable, but is it overkill to expect them to replace my grill if they cannot supply me with a matching base and assistance with getting them swapped?  Any of you gurus out there have any advice?  Sorry for the long-winded story!

1 hour ago, tfc87 said:

I have been following this thread for some time now, as I have been waiting on yet another replacement base to my original cracked base.  I wanted to post my experience here to see if anyone has had a similar experience or useful advice.

Right after I got my Big Joe at the beginning of 2016, I found a hairline crack on the bottom. That crack has since spread and widened, and therefore, it was time for a replacement.  Kamado Joe (as usual) was prompt to respond and send a replacement base.  However, the base was nearly an inch shorter in diameter than my original...so I decided to contact them about it.

Now comes the second replacement base today, and it is even smaller...actually a full inch shorter in diameter than my original base.  I had previously supplied exact measurements for them to reference, and it is evident no one took the time to measure the replacement.  Considering I wrestled now 2 replacement bases up my porch stairs in the GA heat that have turned out too small, I am pretty frustrated, especially to find out that some are having band issues even when they do get matching replacement bases.

I am a current owner of a 2016 and a 2017 Big Joe as well as 2 Joe Jr's, so you can say I'm a Kamado Joe fan with 4 grills.  I'm not ready to knock them, but what sort of support should I expect to help me with getting a matching base and even helping me swap them out to ensure a proper fit?  KJ HQ is actually nearby, so that may be helpful.  I certainly don't want to be unreasonable, but is it overkill to expect them to replace my grill if they cannot supply me with a matching base and assistance with getting them swapped?  Any of you gurus out there have any advice?  Sorry for the long-winded story!

What section of GA are you from. If close enough I would go see them about it in person. Here is the address and contact info:

2865 North Berkeley Lake Road NW, Suite 6
Duluth, Georgia 30096

Phone (877) 215-6299  Fax (678) 866-0643

What section of GA are you from. If close enough I would go see them about it in person. Here is the address and contact info:
2865 North Berkeley Lake Road NW, Suite 6
Duluth, Georgia 30096

Phone (877) 215-6299  Fax (678) 866-0643

I live in ATL...so dropping by may be an option. They offered a 27" dome to match the smaller base they sent (my original big joe was 28" diameter). To me, that sounds like my current bands would be a problem, no? Not to mention firebox/KAB/Joetisserie fitting issues potentially? Does anyone know what the current production diameter is?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I just had a disaster today and my KJ wheels were unlocked and it took a dive off 2 steps when trying to put the cover on. The ceramic base completely shattered. The remainder of the unit including the top, hinges, fire box, etc are all in perfect condition but the base is a goner. I can't seem to find a place online to order a new base. I've only had the unit for a few months, so it's the newest model of BigJoe 24 inch. Any suggestions?