Sign in to follow this  
Karlh

Mustard slaw perfect with Brats

Guru's - Just tried this to go with my grilled brats tonight.  I thought this was the perfect side dish. I modified it by only putting in half the sugar the dressing called for. Will definitely be making it again.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/06/mustard-coleslaw-recipe.html

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Smokehowze
      Smokehowze’s No Mayonnaise Coleslaw

This recipe was inspired by the coleslaw served by the Catfish Parlour in Austin, Texas.  When I got home from the business trip I decided to replicate it for the family.  It is probably not the same but I will say and the family concurs it is an excellent coleslaw result in this recipe. It has a light and fresh character and a nice flavor profile where the vinegar complements the fresh ingredients.

1 medium sized green cabbage, shredded (Edit -  hand cut or mandoline preferred)
      1 large onion, fine chopped (hand chop onion as food processor will release a bitterness)
      1/2 large red bell pepper, chopped (green pepper OK also)
      1/4 cup grapeseed oil (or other vegetable oil but not olive oil)
      1/2 cup red wine vinegar
      White vinegar (see below on amount)
      Salt to taste, about 1 teaspoon
      Pepper to taste about ½ teaspoon
      Sugar to taste, 1 teaspoon or so
      4 cloves garlic, minced and then mashed with fork tines with small amount of salt as grinding agent
      Handful of chopped parsley (adjust flavor of parsley in the slaw to taste – it is good with a large amount)

Add cabbage, onion, bell pepper, parsley in large bowl and mix well.

Separately, mix together the garlic mash, red wine vinegar, oil, pepper, salt and sugar. 
      Initially add a tablespoon or so of white vinegar to taste to round out flavor profile.
      Also add a couple of tablespoons of water.

Pour dressing over slaw
      Fold together to mix well.
      Adjust sugar and fine tune white vinegar to taste.
      Adjust salt and pepper to taste.

Depending on the amount of cabbage a double batch of the dressing may be required. 

Optional:  a small amount of finely chopped fresh cilantro can additionally be incorporated for a different flavor profile.  Preferably, serve the chopped cilantro separately to add to individual portions. A little cilantro goes a long long way in this dish and can overpower the slaw.

Enjoy!
    • By John Setzler
      Ingredients:

1 head of cabbage
      1 carrot
      1/2 cup chopped onion
      3 tablespoons vegetable oil
      2 teaspoons tarragon vinegar
      1 1/4 cup mayonnaise
      1/2 cup sugar
      ** The tarragon vinegar is a key ingredient in the flavor of this recipe. You may substitute but it makes a significant difference **

Chop/dice all your ingredients until you have a consistency that you like. You can chop as coarsely or as finely as you like for this. Mix it all up and put it in an airtight container in the refrigerator overnight.

This is an excellent coleslaw for pulled pork sandwiches!