Who's cooking on Father's Day 2017

Got an 8# on this morning.   Lit my Akorn with a propane torch and no Weber cube for the first time....very easy and took 30 seconds (winning!).   Got her steady at 220 and put on the meat.   She started running hot, so I had to shut her down a little.  Getting her dialed in...just a little top vent correction should carry her out for the rest of the cook, hopefully!

The meat probe is just hanging....will put in the butt later.  I never put it in right away...usually after the 2 or 4 hour check.

Also got some chicken quarters to put on later today.

Happy Father's Day from Florida!

IMG_4706.JPG

IMG_4709.JPG

Cheese stuffed crapes with lingonberry sauce, bacon, sausage and hash browns for breakfast. 

Crab stuffed lobster, tomato bisque, and  feta Blueberry salad for dinner. I might also do a saffron risotto to go along with it. 

Probably a few pictures of the dinner cook later on. 

1 hour ago, bcbz71 said:

Got an 8# on this morning.   Lit my Akorn with a propane torch and no Weber cube for the first time....very easy and took 30 seconds (winning!).   Got her steady at 220 and put on the meat.   She started running hot, so I had to shut her down a little.  Getting her dialed in...just a little top vent correction should carry her out for the rest of the cook, hopefully!

The meat probe is just hanging....will put in the butt later.  I never put it in right away...usually after the 2 or 4 hour check.

Also got some chicken quarters to put on later today.

Happy Father's Day from Florida!

IMG_4706.JPG

IMG_4709.JPG

Sounds good. Please post the results. BTW that thermometer is way too clean. :-D

45 minutes ago, ckreef said:

Cheese stuffed crapes with lingonberry sauce, bacon, sausage and hash browns for breakfast. 

Crab stuffed lobster, tomato bisque, and  feta Blueberry salad for dinner. I might also do a saffron risotto to go along with it. 

Probably a few pictures of the dinner cook later on. 

The bistro certainly has a diverse menu. Using google maps too see if I have time to get there for dinner. Do I sense a possible challenge entry?

1 minute ago, Cgriller64 said:

The bistro certainly has a diverse menu. Using google maps too see if I have time to get there for dinner. Do I sense a possible challenge entry?

You're welcome to come, dinner is going to be early today around 5pm

Already did my challenge entry. Besides it's a fish challenge not seafood so crab and lobster don't count. 

Came up with the entire menu while cruisin through Publix yesterday. 

Update:  About 5 hours into the cook.   I'm at 158 IT and 220 QT.  I held a steady 239 QT the whole time I was mowing the lawn (smelling that oak smoke), but a little wind came up and was pushing towards 250, so I made a slight adjustment to the top vent.   If she will hold 220 QT, I'll leave it alone.  If it drops any further, I will open the top vent ever so slightly.

I'm running a small pan of water on the backside of the ceramic to allow more indirect heat to the bottom of the butt for some bark rather than the steam washing off the seasoning.    Seems to be working.

Looks beautiful though.

IMG_4713.JPG

IMG_4712.JPG

That looks like what's cooking at our house, except my brother is doing it on his Traeger grill that he brought over this morning. We'll be using my Akorn later for grilled corn and veggies :-), having my dad and other family over for dinner.

Enjoy your Fathers Day!

Wrapped the butt at 175 IT and threw the yard bird hips on.   They've been on about 2.5 hours at ~240 QT.  Just pulled the butt at 198 IT and it feels nice and squishy....letting it rest 30 minutes or so.    Pictures to come..

Well done everyone!! And happy father's day. I'm celebrating for the first time as a father. It's been a blast. Did a little surf and turf. Hit the lobster tail with a little Apple wood...so good I ran a piece over to my neighbor who is trying to decide what type of grill to get.577b1d0086d7c56b1baf20a27e27eb86.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk