Pizza 101 - Feedback requested

On 6/20/2017 at 5:45 PM, John Setzler said:

If you can think of any specifics that I should cover in this video, please let me know.

John -- while you're focusing on pizza,it might be worth noting the same basic concepts of dough ingredients and related cooking temps would also apply to baking bread. Just a thought.

14 hours ago, ckreef said:

I totally agree on having a wood and a metal peel. Also how moist a dough is effects the ability to easily launch from a peel. Parchment paper is always a newbies best friend. 

While I can work the wood peel w/ cornmeal and the launch to the pizza stone with that wrist snap, parchment is just so much easier to do at this point

3 minutes ago, In2Fish said:

John -- while you're focusing on pizza,it might be worth noting the same basic concepts of dough ingredients and related cooking temps would also apply to baking bread. Just a thought.

Possibly... bread is a lower temp cook than most pizza... in most cases... 475 is the top end of bread baking...

1 minute ago, John Setzler said:

Possibly... bread is a lower temp cook than most pizza... in most cases... 475 is the top end of bread baking...

Good point, the lower temp makes for a more forgiving bake.

3 hours ago, John Setzler said:

I think this setup is going to work perfectly.. this is why I did the testing... I wanted to see if I could get the stone and dome temps to match fairly closely.  I am not so concerned with extremely hot cooks on the Kamado.  I woudl rather cook pizzas on the KJ in the 500-600 range and on the Blackstone for hotter than that.  It's better suited for higher temp cooks.

Your OP mentioned doing this for a KJ video and had high temp Neapolitan as a topic.  Are you going to be doing that on your BS?  While I certainly would prefer a better pizza oven for Neapolitans, I assumed the video was going to be purely KJ.  A Neapolitan can be done in a ceramic kamado, but it is not as easy or forgiving. 

Video aside, my thought process is 500 and below is easier in my indoor oven.  For most people, a steel for the oven the already have is going to give the best result. 600-650 is not hard in the kamado with a ceramic stone and I and most people can't do that at all indoors.  800-950 is difficult but doable in the kamado but you really want a pizza oven for that.  So to me, the kamado shines in the temp range between an indoor oven and a dedicated pizza oven. 

19 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

@m-fine

I will do a neapolitan but it will be at a temp below 900 degrees.  I will probably do a pseudo-neapolitan at 700-750 because I won't recommend taking a kamado grill to 900 degrees, even though it can be done.

Hi John, what are some of the concerns with getting a kamado up to 900+ degrees?

37 minutes ago, Milanista said:

Hi John, what are some of the concerns with getting a kamado up to 900+ degrees?

Very ugly flashback opportunities when you open the lid for starters...  i dont like how loose the bands get on the older models when they get that hot...  i just think it is unnecessarily dangerous and i dont want to promote it.

Sounds like you plan on doing it already, but covering Costco and Papa Murphys take and bake would be awesome. I think these are both available nationwide.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, John Setzler said:

Very ugly flashback opportunities when you open the lid for starters...  i dont like how loose the bands get on the older models when they get that hot...  i just think it is unnecessarily dangerous and i dont want to promote it.

I am pretty surprised by your response.  Loose bands on the lid would certainly scare me.  The PB top band is in a groove so it wont just slip off, so I don't have that concern.

As for flashbacks, the danger is highest when you get a fire raging and then try to cut it back and restrict oxygen.  By habit I give the lid a burp every time I open it, but I have not had any flashbacks when the vents were wide open which is what it takes to get over 900.  Most or all of my flashbacks (when burping) have been in the 400-700 range when trying to run hot but under control.  I don't consider it a major issue as long as you are prepared for it, and every kamado owner should always be prepared for it.  

My concerns with getting over 900 are it can burn up gaskets pretty fast and increases the risk of cracking the firebowl, although KJ may have solved both of those issues.  I don't consider the danger at 900 to be any more than at 600.    

2 hours ago, m-fine said:

I am pretty surprised by your response.  Loose bands on the lid would certainly scare me.  The PB top band is in a groove so it wont just slip off, so I don't have that concern.

As for flashbacks, the danger is highest when you get a fire raging and then try to cut it back and restrict oxygen.  By habit I give the lid a burp every time I open it, but I have not had any flashbacks when the vents were wide open which is what it takes to get over 900.  Most or all of my flashbacks (when burping) have been in the 400-700 range when trying to run hot but under control.  I don't consider it a major issue as long as you are prepared for it, and every kamado owner should always be prepared for it.  

My concerns with getting over 900 are it can burn up gaskets pretty fast and increases the risk of cracking the firebowl, although KJ may have solved both of those issues.  I don't consider the danger at 900 to be any more than at 600.    

I am not saying you can't cook at 900.  I am just saying that it's not a good idea for me to recommend it.  I do it myself because I know what to look for and how to handle it.  I am not going to take responsibility for someone else with less experience running a kamado at 900 degrees.

2 hours ago, m-fine said:

.  Loose bands on the lid would certainly scare me.  The PB top band is in a groove so it wont just slip off, so I don't have that concern.

You should be concerned because the bands can loosen enough at those temps where it will let the dome lid fall right off.  I wouldn't be worried about it if I hadn't seen multiple instances of it happening.  Chances are the bands were not completely tight to begin with but everyone doesn't seem to remember to check their band tightness regularly.

5 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

You should be concerned because the bands can loosen enough at those temps where it will let the dome lid fall right off.  I wouldn't be worried about it if I hadn't seen multiple instances of it happening.  Chances are the bands were not completely tight to begin with but everyone doesn't seem to remember to check their band tightness regularly.

The Auplex made grills (Vision, PB, Gorilla, etc.) have the lid band recessed between two thick ridges in the ceramic.  The band circumference would need to expand several inches before it could fall off.  It is a simple safety feature all the manufacturers should have implemented long ago.  

4 minutes ago, m-fine said:

The Auplex made grills (Vision, PB, Gorilla, etc.) have the lid band recessed between two thick ridges in the ceramic.  The band circumference would need to expand several inches before it could fall off.  It is a simple safety feature all the manufacturers should have implemented long ago.  

Kamado Joe and Big Green Egg have the same design in that aspect and I am just telling you what I have seen.  For that reason, and because of the position I am in, I just can't recommend it.  I can tell you that *I* do it and I have helped others do it but I won't recommend it :)