New Dewalt Table Saw

Charcoal Addict

I finally got my hands on a new Dewalt Table Saw, the 7491 with the rolling stand.  I've been waiting for it to go on sale forever.  Lowes had a very good deal where I was able to pick it up for $649 CAD with an additional $50 in promotional coupons.

I really love the thoughtful design of Dewalt's products.  I've always disliked how overpriced Dewalt's products can be sometimes.  Dewalt has a bad habit of charging for things Bosch would include in most tools.  Buying Dewalt tools requires patience and a sharp eye for sales to get their tools at a fair price.

i would never pay $849 suggested retail for this saw.  It's not an $800 dollar saw.  It really should not be selling for more than $599 based on it's feature set.  It wouldn't be Dewalt if they didn't gouge you a little for their name.

The fact the plastic Dado plate sitting on the desk costs $38 bucks on Amazon is just ridiculous.  It's a $20 part at best.  

IMG_0601.JPG

32 minutes ago, Mewantkj said:

I am saving for a sawstop cabinet saw.  

The Saw Stop is a great saw too.  It's the price of 3 times the price of 7491 for a saw that slightly more refined.  The Sawstop can do a a lot of things a router can do with complex bevel cuts.  I would never use the 7491 for those kinds of cuts. 

I use a table saw for 4-5 projects a year.  Mostly fence boards and sheet ripping.  The Saw Stop would have been a huge overkill for my needs.  The Saw Stop is a better choice for anyone with a shop punching out furniture and cabinet projects on a regular basis. 

I felt a 7491 and Kreg Routing table would be a better choice. 

13 minutes ago, Charcoal Addict said:

The Saw Stop is a great saw too.  It's the price of 3 times the price of 7491 for a saw that slightly more refined.  The Sawstop can do a a lot of things a router can do with complex bevel cuts.  I would never use the 7491 for those kinds of cuts. 

I felt a 7491 and Kreg Routing table would be a better choice. 

True. Two things are dictating my choice, this is funded by a side business that pays for itself. More importantly, my kids are showing some mechanical skills/desire to build.  After watching my dad recover from fingers vs saw...

For now I use my grizzly contractor saw. 

17 minutes ago, Mewantkj said:

True. Two things are dictating my choice, this is funded by a side business that pays for itself. More importantly, my kids are showing some mechanical skills/desire to build.  After watching my dad recover from fingers vs saw...

For now I use my grizzly contractor saw. 

They did such a great job designing the Saw Stop too.  I always wonder why they choose to use a gravity rise stand for a Table Saw.  Dewalt's stand design is better for cutting large sheets.  The legs are Angled in for opposite directions to prevent the saw from walking when cutting large sheets. 

Gravity rise stands always want to walk on the side without wheels making it hard to cut large sheets without a 2nd person.  

You're better off paring the Saw Stop with a Dewalt table saw stand if you're cutting full size sheets. 

Nice I want this exact table saw!!! First I think I will buy the chopsaw stand.

Man, always believed in DeWalt but maybe it's me, I have had bad luck last 2 yrs w 18v drill chuck and a sawzall . Not trying to throw shade on your table saw. Just my experience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Astroguy57 said:

Man, always believed in DeWalt but maybe it's me, I have had bad luck last 2 yrs w 18v drill chuck and a sawzall . Not trying to throw shade on your table saw. Just my experience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It depends on what tools you buy.  Dewalt was never really at the top choice for drills.  Usually Bosch and Milwaukee are the better drill companies.

Dewalt's $400 Concrete impact drill is at the top of the heap.

Dewalt is best known for it Miter Saws, table saws, Planners, Nailers and dust collection systems.

15 minutes ago, Charcoal Addict said:

It depends on what tools you buy.  Dewalt was never really at the top choice for drills.  Usually Bosch and Milwaukee are the better drill companies.

Dewalt's $400 Concrete impact drill is at the top of the heap.

Dewalt is best known for it Miter Saws, table saws, Planners, Nailers and dust collection systems.

A good friend of mine (who was a rep for Dewalt at the time) swore black and blue that a lot of Dewalt stuff is actually Black and Decker guts in a different shell.

Always said the reason was because tradesmen wouldn't buy B&D because it got the reputation as the Home DIY guys choice and professionals didn't like them.

Not sure how true it is but B&D and Dewalt were owned by the same company at time (not sure if that's changed) so it could be true

Not a fan of Milwaukee stuff, especially their cordless gear as the batteries don't last all that long up here due to the constant high ambient heat and humidity.

I was lucky to get 18months out of my 18v Milwaukee Drill Battery

Sorry to thread jack.

Looks like that table will serve you well

I never get too hung-up on tool brands.  I chose the Dewalt 7491 because it was the best reviewed  mid-priced Table Saw.

You need to spend 2-3x as much to find a model that'll out perform it.  I liked the open bar frame design to prevent the unit from becoming a dust trap.  The 32 inch cutting width on the right side. 

14 hours ago, Polar Bear said:

A good friend of mine (who was a rep for Dewalt at the time) swore black and blue that a lot of Dewalt stuff is actually Black and Decker guts in a different shell.

Always said the reason was because tradesmen wouldn't buy B&D because it got the reputation as the Home DIY guys choice and professionals didn't like them.

Not sure how true it is but B&D and Dewalt were owned by the same company at time (not sure if that's changed) so it could be true

Not a fan of Milwaukee stuff, especially their cordless gear as the batteries don't last all that long up here due to the constant high ambient heat and humidity.

I was lucky to get 18months out of my 18v Milwaukee Drill Battery

Sorry to thread jack.

Looks like that table will serve you well

The two probably share some parts since they are part of the same company. Actually, many manufacturers can share the same part. You can see the same exact chuck across multiple drills. Dewalt's cheaper tools are more likely to share some parts with B&D but their higher end tools are less likely. For example, there is no equivalent 60V system for B&D.

I used a measuring tape, angle square and a roofers triangle to the 7491 to see if my new saw had any of the issues people on Amazon were complaining about in bad reviews.  I was a bit nervous based on several reviews claiming a dip in the table was making it impossible to align the saw blade perfectly. 

The saw measured perfectly in every way.  The blade was perfectly aligned out of the box, the fence is perfectly square and none of the guilde rail pegs are misaligned.  I wasn't able find any of the supposed design flaws list by negative reviewers on Amazon on Lowes.

It's the problem with a lot of consumer reviews these days.  People look for problems that don't exist to bolster their egos as online experts.