Here's some more info. add added the pic to the post for people that can't see the album.

It was a 4 lbs. I injected a simple solution on Apple Cider Vinegar, Raw Sugar, Apple Juice, and Worcestershire sauce.

I let that sit for 9 hrs then added the rub, and let it sit again, this time over night.

( I basically fallowed the directions in The Kamado Smoker & Grill Cookbook" by Chris Grove.)

The Akorn with the Tip Tip Temp kept an even 240-250ºF for the full 7 hrs.

As you can see, if you look close, in the finished picture, I'm using a 15" cast iron skillet as my heat defuser/drip pan.  I filled that up with 4 cups apple juice and 4 cups water at the beginning of the cook.  (Not looking forward to cleaning that, maybe a high temp burn off is in order)

Meal came out good, but a tiny bit dry,  Next time I'll add more liquid halfway through the cook. Or does anyone have any suggestions on keeping a bit more moisture on the meat?

Over all the family loved it!  My wife is loving the fact that I've done all the cooking the past 3 nights. 2 on the Kamado!

20170622_175654.jpg

20170622_164542.jpg

20170622_090414.jpg

20170622_180304.jpg

20170622_181352.jpg

@NeroPrime you said it came out a little dry.  The only time I've had this happen with a pork butt is when I forgot to let it rest.  Just wanted to see if perhaps this could have been your issue as well.

I don't inject my pork butt, but I do wrap mine in foil and add apple juice after it's been cooking for a while (after internal temp gets to about 150 degrees), and I leave it wrapped until it's probe tender.  I don't believe that is necessary for a moist and tender pork butt though.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Cranky1
      So I finally got to try out the new Akorn, that has been sitting on the deck for the last 3 weeks ( I know, I know). Started off with a rack of ribs. Read a lot of posts, here, there and everywhere to determine the best cook method. Went with 1.5 hrs on the grill uncovered, about 40 mins wrapped in foil with a little apple juice and a final 15 mins uncovered with a coat of Sweet Baby Ray's Hickory and Brown Sugar for the sauce. Turned out not bad for a first attempt. The missus seemed to enjoy them. Time for some tweaking to make them ours!

• By philpom
      they've been on for a bit, cruising at 215°f.  Going to finish each one differently but still debating the details.

• By Kamado_Rich
      Ok so I started my first pork butt cook with a pit temp of 275.  It is a 8 pound bone in pork but.  After 2 hours the internal meat temp is already 124!?!  Is this normal?  I was thinking at 275 I was looking at about an hour a pound?  I backed the pit down to 250.  Should I be worried or am I over thinking this?
    • By Tarnation
      Prepped this little half butt for a work Halloween potluck last night, cooking it tonight.  Just a little teaser before I tucked in and put it to bed.

• By Tarnation
      Here's my entry for October's PP challenge.  This is actually a double leftover.  I made sloppy joes using leftover pork smoked in my Akorn.  Since that's basically a pp sandwich that will not be my submission.  I decided a pp omelette was the ticket with a Carolina twist BBQ sauce and coleslaw.  It was scrumptious. Chopped Onions, red peppers, green peppers, yellow peppers and a 3 cheese blend rounded out the rest of the ingredients.