First overnight low and slow...

GS1397

I have found little rhyme or reason on cook times. I routinely cook 2-3 8lb butts at a time and they all finish at different times. I have had 4 hour difference between butts on the same cook.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I too did my first overnight cook of one boneless Boston Butt that came as two pieces from Costco - one slightly bigger than the other based on where they removed the bone. The slightly, and I do mean slightly, piece finished about 3-4 hours before the other and they started at the same time and sat right next to the other on the grill. The one I pulled first at 198 seemed to be more moist than the bigger one I pulled later (also at 198). I was concerned that it was cooking much longer, but overall both came out good for a first cook. My wife and kids have plenty of leftovers for the coming week!

I'll post pics next time. I didn't sleep much last night worrying about the grill temp fluctuations, and forgot to take pics to post until everyone was eating dinner. I should have slept, my Akorn kept it pretty steady between 220 and 230. Alarm only went off once when it dipped to 219. I gave the top vent a slight nudge and was good after that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I need to start doing my low-n-slows over night.  I find that no matter how early I plan to get started in the AM, I never get the meat on the grill as early as I intend to.  And then no matter how long I think it's going to go for, it never finishes as early as I plan in the evening.

We've eaten dinner after 8 and 9 pm a bunch because of that. :) LOL