Thus far smoking experience and feedback

Howdy!

I purchased an Akorn Jr. To give low and slow smoking a try. Thus far I have done Drumsticks (brined them overnight), burgers, hot dogs, and ribeye steak. All have turned out pretty well but definitely learning!

I do not yet own a smokestone, I have been making use of either a 12inch pizza pan or a 10ich stainless steel stove top cover wrapped in aluminum.

For now I've been using a cheap wireless Expert Grill thermometer that I place on the center of the grill grate (and inside my steak when I was cooking it).

For fuel I've been using Western BBQ Cooking Chunks such as Cherry and Hickory, lighting them with either a single brick of charcoal or the cottonball coated in alcohol method.

Today I smoked some hotdogs for the second time using a combination of hickory and cherry wood with the 10" heat displacer set inside and a small pie tin full of water sitton ontop of it. I lit my valcano of breviously burnt wood chips combined with several fresh chunks using the cotton ball method. No problems there! Got the heat displacer in and the grate and placed the probe on the center of the grate and stealed it up. The heat rose and stabalized at 226 degrees where it sat for ten minutes. I then slowly opened it up and placed the hotdogs on the grate with half an onion and sealed it back up. Now, my temperature at the grate had gone down to 160 degrees! I suppose it was a combination of lost heat from opening the lid up and placing slightly aboce fridge temp meat inside the smoker. After 10 minutes of little change in the temp I opened the vents further up and it took almost 30 minutes to get back up in the 225-240 range. Basically half my hours worth of somoking was just getting the temp back into the range I wanted it at. The hitdogs turned out fine but I just felt like it could hVe gone better.

Have others had trouble with the temp hanging down low after adding meat to the grill? Should I be adjusting my cooking times to make up for the loss of temperature? I want to try to get the most out of the smokey flavors.

Also back when I cooked the steaks I had it reaching the internal temp I targeted for withing 30 minutes instead of the projected 1-1.5hours it should have taken at ruffly 225-260 range. 

Lots of questions in that post. One thing I noticed is you mentioned BBQ  cooking chunks as a fuel source. Are those wood chunks? You should be using lump charcoal supplemented with a couple of wood chunks. Lump charcoal should give you easier temperature control compared to wood chunks. 

Another point to remember, the meat you are cooking is usually cold.  The thermometer reads the ambient temperature which is affected by the cold meat.  The fire if stable does not change just because meat is added. As the meat cooks the ambient temperature rises.  The Jr.'s thermometer is in closer proximity than a standard sized Kamado.  You'll notice this more with larger cooks like a pork shoulder or butt.

41 minutes ago, K'man said:

Another point to remember, the meat you are cooking is usually cold.  The thermometer reads the ambient temperature which is affected by the cold meat.  The fire if stable does not change just because meat is added. As the meat cooks the ambient temperature rises.  The Jr.'s thermometer is in closer proximity than a standard sized Kamado.  You'll notice this more with larger cooks like a pork shoulder or butt.

Quite true. I scorched a turkey breast one day at work because of this. I knew better, but the pressure of cooking for my coworkers was too much and I bumped open my vents to make sure it was done in time. Thankfully just the skin suffered...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By HokieOC
      Saturday pizza has become a regular thing at our house, per my son’s request. I had a good thing going with the KJ Classic and a 15” stone setup, down to a science. But a few weeks ago decided to change it up and try pizzas on the Akorn Jr, half to use less charcoal on the high temp and half cause I had a steel I’d never used. And half just for the challenge....okay that’s three halves. But I digress....first couple weeks went okay, a little learning curve with the AkJ getting to temp MUCH faster and the possibility of overshooting temp, coupled with the steel getting and retaining heat much easier than the stone. 

Last weekend I burnt the crap out of the bottom of three of four pies (finally got it to cool down a bit by the last one...should have given more time after I charred the first). Having to wait a week for redemption is killing me, but I ordered the canning rack I’ve seen many use on here for the Junior setup, so fingers crossed tonight goes better. And I’ll definitely be watching my temps and shooting the steel with an IR thermometer. I’m hoping more separation of the steel and deflector in addition to getting the stew up higher in the dome makes the difference. 
    • By Smoke and Awe
      My goal was to get this done last Friday, but life intervened.  However, today is a beautiful Northwest day at the beach, and I could do this with the ingredients I had on hand.  The recipe is for Brazilian Salmon Stew (Moqueca), and I used wild caught Coho Salmon portions, in a braise of chopped garlic, green pepper, onions, fresh tomatoes, cilantro, and the surprise ingredient, coconut milk.  The salmon portions were skinless, then marinated in a mixture of lime juice, cumin, sweet paprika, s & p.  I've never skinned salmon before, and it's a good thing I didn't have company as there wasn't enough salmon left for more than 2...

The recipe called for layering the ingredients, but for just us I halved it, so ended up with only one layer, but no problem.  Used my trusty thrift store stoneware pan, no extra smoke.  Had to finish the meal with some garlic parmesan rolls from the freezer.  Like I said, easy and Nummy, as my husband said, but so simple in the kamado.  I used the dome as my casserole lid, so the salmon got a little color on it.  

• By Smoke and Awe
      I was happy to be home all day and get to make my own birthday dinner, inspired by @ckreef's zucchini gratin, and @keeperovdeflame's mayo corn.  The pork sirloin chops were marinated in buttermilk, then rinsed and patted dry before applying a garlic and herb rub for a couple of hours.  Sirloin doesn't take long to cook, so I did the gratin first, then the chops with the corn mixture on top.  This is what it's all about. Lovely.

• By Magnus Allgurén
      I decided to try ordering from this company called Smokinlicious Gourmet Smoking Wood, from Buffalo. It's convenient for me as I'm in Canada that they offer both an American website and a Canadian website. 
      Anywho, I once ordered Alder wood from Amazon US, as it's fairly hard to find companies selling Alder wood for smoking in Canada. The customer service that I experienced from this company is almost unheard of. Questions(by email) were answered in minutes, over long weekends and late nights. 

This wood was offered in 30lbs or 15lbs packages so I ordered the 15lbs, as I am trying it out. 

15lbs, cost me $31 CAD, shipping included. So no where near as expensive as the wood I ordered thru Amazon (5lbs/$40US).

Now after all this, the wood has a great aroma as does its smoke and it smokes for a long time. Chunks are the size of appr 2"x2x4",so a fairly nice size. 

I will definitely order from this company again. They offer lots of different kinds of wood. 

Thanks for reading!! 

http://www.smokinlicious.ca
      http://www.smokinlicious.com

• By K'man
      I was on Amazon today and found this.  I don't recall ever seeing these settings posted in either manual I have for my two Jr's.  Thought I'd post as a general guide.  I've never operated my Jr's with the top vent totally closed before, almost but not completely as shown.
      FYI