beenlostonce

Is this a good deal? BKG for $550

Got a local guy selling this for $550:

https://austin.craigslist.org/for/6171265949.html

I asked him for further clarification on the "refurbished" bit, and he let me know:

"When I bought the keg, the original body was pretty beat up and bolts were rusted through.  I contacted the OEM manufacturer, and they said the body was under warranty and they sent me a new one.  So, body and bracket are brand new as well as the 2nd tier grate.  Also, I bought the truck hitch and diffuser plates separately but they come with."

This would be my first kamado style grill, and I'm doing as much shopping around as possible before pulling the trigger.

I'm going to inspect and take pics tomorrow.

Are there any specific questions you guys would ask to make sure this is in good shape/worth the money?

Thank you for any advice!

Not sure.

As much as I love the portability of transporting it with the hitch, I wouldn't want to actually fire it up while up there, as I'd hate to ruin the paint job on my tailgate.

I bought a new Bubba Keg in 2009. It's been rock solid. Somewhere around 2009/2010, I believe, the manufacturer changed the name from Bubba Keg to Big Steel Keg. As far as I can tell the basic design hasn't changed. Parts should be easily available. I've tried to minimally maintain mine and other than a few cosmetic blemishes, it still performs as new - or better now that it's well seasoned.

As to what to look for...just disassemble the components, inspect them closely and make sure nothing's cracked, busted, abused or overly rusted. Eyeball the gasket where the lid and body come together - it's an easy fix, if needed.  Make sure everything fits up as you would think it should. There should be a label below the hinge with date of manufacture and serial number.

I wouldn't sell mine for the price he's asking.  I would have to spend double that to replace it with anything remotely comparable.
( I did buy mine in 2009 cheaper than that because they were selling off the Bubba Kegs at a great price because of the name change to Big Steel Keg).

The photos from the CL ad look solid. As always, I believe there's a chance of negotiating the price when you're standing there with cash in hand.....

Good luck!

I currently use a Keg (modified with Kamado Joe rack system inside) and have had it a few years.  Great kamado.  Incredibly fuel efficient (almost too efficient - it can be hard to get "good" smoke because the damn thing burns so little lump once it gets up to temp.  No, you can't use it ON the hitch (well, you maybe could if the tailgate door was removed off a truck!)  but I bring mine to work a couple times a year for a prime rib day.  Love the easy portability.  Get lots of looks while I'm driving.

IMPORTANT!!  If you are transporting it with the hitch attachment, make sure you remove the internals - the grates etc are pretty heavy and you don't want them shifting around inside the keg when you drive.

That is the original Bubba Keg so it is a bit older....I wouldn't pay that much myself.  I would get a ceramic knock-off at Costco with a warranty etc. instead.  But if you want portability...hard to beat these for the size + mobility combined.  If it is in great overall condition though....you should get a lot of years of use out of it.

I only paid about $500 (Canadian bucks) for mine when i got it (though they sell for a lot more retail) but mine is the Broil King Keg and was almost in new condition when I bought it.  Carefully inspect the metal in the bottom of the main shell, and where all the rivets are where the liner meets the shell.  Some owners that have had theirs many years and didn't cover them often have seen corrosion.  I have a good cover for mine and not a spec of rust/corrosion anywhere.

I use mine at -30 Celcius in the dead of winter and works just as well as a warm summer day....though I need to use a blowtorch to get the vents open as they are usually frozen shut.  Just take 20 seconds to warm them up with a propane torch.  Don't think you will run into that issue down there though.

Parts are readily available from Broil King.

10 minutes ago, beenlostonce said:

Thanks!  One thing I can't pinpoint exactly is the grill size.

Is this a standard 18.5" grill?

Or is this a larger 22" or 24"?  I guess I'll soon find out!

The kegs use the pretty standard 18" size (roughly).  All the standard accessories out there for the Kamado Joe etc all fit them perfectly.

I have a keg. I love my keg. It's the best kooker out there if portability is required. It's quite possible that thing might last a lifetime. It's also quite possible it won't. The grate is CI. It will rust in time. No biggie. Steel corrodes too. I guess what I'm saying is it's a great grill, but not at north of 500 bucks imho.  500 bucks in like new condition, no brainer. 500 refurbished and it kind of looks like rusty grates. I'd hold off for a better deal.

Now 300 or 350, different story. 550 is enough to buy a new ceramic from some brands.

Rip makes a great point. He says he wouldn't sell his keg for 550. I totally agree with that. I wouldn't want to sell mine unless I was going to replace it. However, if I were in the market for a kamado I probably would spend that 550 differently. I know, this sounds like I'm sending mixed messages, but I kind of have developed an emotional attachment to my first kamado. 

1 hour ago, beenlostonce said:

Thanks, again. If I do go with this Bubba Keg over a ceramic knock off (or a used BGE), I will be ripping off your D&C idea and dropping one in this Keg.

No problem....note, if you do decide to "Divide and Conquer" the Keg, you do have to do some modifications.  I drilled out the factory rivets to remove the existing brackets, ground them down to remove the top portion, and then riveted the fire-bowl mounts portion back on.  Was easy to do with a few tools....but won't fit otherwise.

rivets.png.b8795bbe7f262e6403e538f2faeb0265.png

1 hour ago, beenlostonce said:

Thanks!  One thing I can't pinpoint exactly is the grill size.

Is this a standard 18.5" grill?

Or is this a larger 22" or 24"?  I guess I'll soon find out!

There is another thread here showing the JoeTisserie accessory on the Keg as well.....just more evidence for your size inquiry.

Oh man.  This thing is in great shape.  It is a 2009 model, and owner said company is still standing by their 10 year warranty.

So the body is actually brand new.  The company sent out a replacement upper and lower section, and they are the same as a new Broil King Keg body.  As well as a new mounting bracket to attach the Keg to the stand.  

@smallbbqr:  You can see updated firebowl/grate mounts.  They are in there with screws, and not rivets.  But I think I could modify that piece for your D&C modification.

The only thing original are the handles, the cooking grate and fire "pit."  He even added a new gasket and new thermometer.  

It has been really well taken care of.  

We didn't talk price, as I let him know I'm kicking the tires on some other Kamado grills out there.  He totally understood.

If I can get him to take $400 straight cash, I think I will pull the trigger on this one.

BK I.JPG

BK II.JPG

BK III.JPG

BK IV.JPG

BK V.JPG

...and he has the drip pan/tray in there too.  Another optional accessory.  You can invert it and use it to hold a pizza stone higher up in the keg as well.