Best part of living in CA

rwalters

[mention=2177]rwalters[/mention] - hey!  You Prune Pickers out there in Cali don't have a monopoly on Tri-Tip!  I've bought Tri-Tip all over the US, no problem.  If that's the only thing keeping you in Cali, pack your bags and move to somewhere without the the Cali bull butter tha goes with living there.   I've lived in Cali and I couldn't wait to leave.  And I did.  But I will say that Tri-Tip is a wonderful cut of meat and great pics!

It's not found in many other states without challenge, right? I've talked to lots of people over the years that have left CA. Most, if not all, have struggled to find TRI TIP once gone. You and I might be an exception, along with the rest of the gurus around here. We know how to talk with a butcher and explain what we are after. From those I've talked with, I'm guessing most of them are your average grocery store meat type of people. Nothing wrong with that, but the local grocery store butcher probably isn't gonna be able to easily secure tri tip for you.

That's my understanding and I'm sticking to it... ;-)

3 minutes ago, rwalters said:

It's not found in many other states without challenge, right? I've talked to lots of people over the years that have left CA. Most, if not all, have struggled to find TRI TIP once gone. You and I might be an exception, along with the rest of the gurus around here. We know how to talk with a butcher and explain what we are after. From those I've talked with, I'm guessing most of them are your average grocery store meat type of people. Nothing wrong with that, but the local grocery store butcher probably isn't gonna be able to easily secure tri tip for you.

That's my understanding and I'm sticking to it... ;-)

@rwalters - and I have bought Tri-Tip all over the USA.  Tri-Tip UPC Code is 1429 and it's IMPS/NAMP Code 185C.  Any butcher knows exactly what these codes are and they can order Tri-Tip using them.  If your butcher doesn't know what these codes are, find another butcher because you're dealing with a 24 karat certified idiot.  Tri-Tip can be had anywhere.  It's not just a Cali staple.

Be well and keep posting those great looking cooks!  And YES!  coconut oil adds a very nice addition to the mix.

8 minutes ago, CeramicChef said:

@rwalters - and I have bought Tri-Tip all over the USA.  Tri-Tip UPC Code is 1429 and it's IMPS/NAMP Code 185C.  Any butcher knows exactly what these codes are and they can order Tri-Tip using them.  If your butcher doesn't know what these codes are, find another butcher because you're dealing with a 24 karat certified idiot.  Tri-Tip can be had anywhere.  It's not just a Cali staple.

Be well and keep posting those great looking cooks!  And YES!  coconut oil adds a very nice addition to the mix.

Yeah, we can get tri-tip all over here in Montana. And since we've got more cattle than people in this state, I suppose you ought to be able to, right? Can get great tri-tip just down the road, in fact. grass and alfalfa feed beef.

At the same shop, you can get any number of cuts of pork, bison, lamb and goat.

They will also process your wild game for you and do a fantastic job -- though generally I prefer to do that myself.

[mention=2177]rwalters[/mention] - and I have bought Tri-Tip all over the USA.  Tri-Tip UPC Code is 1429 and it's IMPS/NAMP Code 185C.  Any butcher knows exactly what these codes are and they can order Tri-Tip using them.  If your butcher doesn't know what these codes are, find another butcher because you're dealing with a 24 karat certified idiot.  Tri-Tip can be had anywhere.  It's not just a Cali staple.

Yeah, we can get tri-tip all over here in Montana. And since we've got more cattle than people in this state, I suppose you ought to be able to, right? Can get great tri-tip just down the road, in fact. grass and alfalfa feed beef.

At the same shop, you can get any number of cuts of pork, bison, lamb and goat.

They will also process your wild game for you and do a fantastic job -- though generally I prefer to do that myself.

Man, I need to find me some new friends. Seems I've been runnin' w/ a bunch of liars :'(

12 minutes ago, rwalters said:

Man, I need to find me some new friends. Seems I've been runnin' w/ a bunch of liars :'(

Hey @rwalters - come on out to OKC! I've got plenty of room and a couple of great KKs on the patio.  And, I can get us all the Tri-Tip we can eat!  :rofl:

Did you say coconut oil?   I've never tried it with beef.  What say you?  I'd think weird flavor profile mixing those two (without curry or something anyways).  Love to hear why and the results etc.

Good question! We buy cans of organic coconut oil from Trader Joe's. I spray beef, poultry, pork quite often before giving it a good sear. I've been doing it for years, and really like the result. Don't notice any off flavors, and as you can see in the pic...the sear and overall appearance ain't to shabby. In my mind, it's almost like a sear/fry on the exterior of the meat.

@rwalters - my friend, haven't you heard that coconut oil is the worst thing for you since butter?  This is the new scientific concensus.  This has just been announced in the last couple of weeks.  It is scientific fact and that makes it settled.  By using coconut oil you're slowly clogging your family's arteries, contributing to the rising health care costs in America, and California DCPS is getting a court order even as I post this to take your children and give them to a family who cares enough to give them what they need according to received medical science (no matter how often that changes in the next 5 years!).  And I thought you were one of the Good Guys!  :rofl: