• Announcements

• John Setzler

Site TOS/Guidelines Updated 9/7/2017   05/02/2017

The rules here are simple.  You must behave like an adult.  You may not use profanity.  If 'behaving like and adult' needs specific details in your eyes, then this forum is not for you.  Failure to behave like an adult may result in your loss of access to the site.     YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION: Personal information provided to the Kamado Guru website is NOT shared with any third party for any reason. EVER.    THE REST OF THE STUFF:

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

Our websites use cookies to distinguish you from other users of our website. This helps us to provide you with a personalised experience when you browse this site. For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them see our cookie policy (link at the footer of each page).   Thanks!
    • John Setzler

$3 Plate Lunch Challenge!   01/16/2018

Don't forget to participate in this challenge!!!    
Sign in to follow this  
Smoke and Awe

Spatch Chicken for a neighborly thank you

We have a neighbor who often mows our lawn for us, so today I offered him a kamado chicken that was kind of hard to part with as it looked sooo delicious!  On advice from Alton Brown, I added some sugar to my usual seasoned salt brine, and the color was much enhanced.  This is an air-chilled chicken and I just won't cook anything else now as they are consistently juicy and flavorful.  After the 24 hour brine, I used Grillmates Roasted Garlic and Herb as a light rub with some olive oil.  Now I'll get one going for us this weekend, but I know you all will enjoy a well-cooked bird.  I took the picture just before I pulled it, and when I did my temp check the juices were incredible.  What I don't know yet is how it tasted with the sugar added to the brine, but I'm sure he'll tell me.

WP_20170627_001.jpg

It doesn't look like a candied chicken. I'm sure it tasted as amazing as it looks. I add sugar to about everything I cook and it always turns out great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ha, so he did call and tell me the chicken was dee-licious, and when I asked if he tasted the sweetness from sugar he said, "Well, I smoked for a lot of years and now my taste buds don't work right.  But it was just delicious!"  For those who want to know, I smoked with one small pecan wood chunk, on a grate over a stainless steel pie pan but otherwise no deflector, and between 375 and 400 degrees.    Thanks for all your comments and yes, it almost went missing a wing...

Ha, so he did call and tell me the chicken was dee-licious, and when I asked if he tasted the sweetness from sugar he said, "Well, I smoked for a lot of years and now my taste buds don't work right.  But it was just delicious!"  For those who want to know, I smoked with one small pecan wood chunk, on a grate over a stainless steel pie pan but otherwise no deflector, and between 375 and 400 degrees.    Thanks for all your comments and yes, it almost went missing a wing...

Haha, wow that was a beautiful bird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk