Vision Classic B side shelf replacement - ideas?

Tarheel

The side shelves on my 2014 classic B are starting to warp as shown in the pictures below. I'm thinking about replacing them with black plastic cutting boards, like these I found on Amazon. The cutting boards measure 14" x 17", whereas the original shelves measure ~ 12.5" x 19.5".

Has anyone else replaced their side shelves using a different material? Any thoughts on alternate materials/solutions? I don't want to go with wood again. Thanks for any ideas!

DSC02067.JPG.a40f79f8018a1f4ebab985da432457b1.JPG

DSC02068.JPG.0232bcb3d9ff11542a8cc2cab9d70965.JPG

I haven't replaced mine yet but haven't liked them from the beginning. That will be a winter project for me but haven't decided yet what I want to replace them with. Maybe solid oak. Not sure yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sold my Vision (my first kamado ) before I got around to it, but one of my plans at the time was to replace the (relatively) poorly manufactured wooden side table boards with something different.  My plan at the time was to go to a kitchen counter shop (or any place that sold solid kitchen counter material) and see what was available for cheap - leftovers etc.  Corian etc is easily cut and shaped with a table saw, router etc.

Also, Ikea has a lot of options....check out their kitchen counter top area and catalog.

Instead of replacing the shelves, why not build a cart for it.  This way it will give you a nice work area beside the cart.  The shelves are so limited because of the small area. Building a cart you can do drawers or shelves underneath the top.  

This may be beside the point b/c you are looking at changing the whole thing, but I have Vision B side shelves that I will ship to you if you want them.  No longer use them as I built a cart and was just about to pitch them.  They are not warped, although a bit stained just from general use.  Message me with a mailing address if you want them.

Tarheel , You have 2 people willing to give you shelves at a very low cost ,What I would do is take one of them up on their offer,and when you get them strip down the finish and re -stain and put on some polyurethane a couple of  coats ,do your handle at the same time you will lose the vision logo but everything will match , I used all oil based . mine are 4 1/2 years old ,same products I used on my boat .     

001.JPG

• 4 months later...

My vision shelves both split and broke, I went without for a few months but I do find them handy. I found some large 1/2 inch thick cutting boards at sams for $8/each. Traced and cut with jig saw and reused original hardware. I'm not sure how well they'll hold weight( I would prefer the support to extend the full width of the shelf), probably not uv resistant( neither were the originals). Should be easier to clean/bleach. Btw, I have had a phoenix gas grill with hdpe side shelves since 1997( fully supported). Stainless grill is starting to deteriorate, but the shelves clean up well( white also).

82D83059-BA61-4414-8148-60B1C65DC6BF.JPG

On 11/9/2017 at 4:36 PM, thomascw said:

My vision shelves both split and broke, I went without for a few months but I do find them handy. I found some large 1/2 inch thick cutting boards at sams for $8/each. Traced and cut with jig saw and reused original hardware. I'm not sure how well they'll hold weight( I would prefer the support to extend the full width of the shelf), probably not uv resistant( neither were the originals). Should be easier to clean/bleach. Btw, I have had a phoenix gas grill with hdpe side shelves since 1997( fully supported). Stainless grill is starting to deteriorate, but the shelves clean up well( white also).

82D83059-BA61-4414-8148-60B1C65DC6BF.JPG

They look good. I'm still using the warped originals, toying with what to do. I'll probably follow your example.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/13/2017 at 3:40 PM, Plains Drifter said:

New shelf designs coming from Florida using StarBoard.

Custom Tech, LLP in Ocala at 352-484-1082.

New Company but really good Quality.

The new website is ...................customtech.solutions.

This shelf design supports 25 pounds on each side.

IMG_4367.jpg